Super Aroma - Hop Shots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
me too.. its not as though it can go anywhere right?
Well, the co2 could be taking it out. So this leads me to asking the question of when's the best time to apply?

Should it be in the secondary to give it time to infuse just like a dry hop?

if I apply to a carbed keg, or a still keg then carb then do I run the risk of letting the Co2 scrub all the aroma away?

should I wait for it to be fully carbed and all settled in before applying?

I've only applied to carbed vessels, as in a carbed keg or glas, haven't noticed the scrubbing that you seem to be getting

if you apply in a flat keg and carb then. If the aroma isnt in the beer you could degas the keg and sniff (safely so as not get a full lunch of CO2) the diecharge to confirm thats where it is. Wouldnt make sense though...

tonymc said:
Well, the co2 could be taking it out. So this leads me to asking the question of when's the best time to apply?

Should it be in the secondary to give it time to infuse just like a dry hop?

if I apply to a carbed keg, or a still keg then carb then do I run the risk of letting the Co2 scrub all the aroma away?

should I wait for it to be fully carbed and all settled in before applying?
How did you go with this?

The keg I dosed a few weeks ago still displays character.

Is there a guide for a mL/L equivalent to g/L dry hops?

I'm finally getting around to trying it myself. My (23L) recipe usually calls for a 6-day addition of 40g Simcoe + 40g Citra, then a 3-day addition of same again (40g Simcoe + 40g Citra).

I've got Geronimo (Simcoe) and Citralicious (Citra) syringes.

Should I be squirting X amount in at 6 days and X amount again at 3 days? Or just both 2X amount into bottling bucket?

I bought all of them and they just don't work in a keg.

I put 6ml nelson sauvin and 4 ml citra into a 19l keg, and poof - no aroma.

They're best used straight into the bottom of a serving glass - magical.

As I said. Odd as I don't get that result. Been a few weeks since I dosed a keg and it's still evident

Yob said:
As I said. Odd as I don't get that result. Been a few weeks since I dosed a keg and it's still evident
actually I take that back, I just read this from the above link...

"Regardless if the beer is intended to be
kegged, bottled or filled into casks, the optimum way of dosing HopBurst products is inline
dosing into the beer stream on transfer to the bright beer tank or racking vessel."

I was simply injecting it into the keg and giving it a swirl.
I have 6 ml citra left of the whole batch and will try this inline transfer method with my next batch.

Cheers. So-

Typical doasage 0.05-0.4 mL/L, but some US triple hopped IPAs might use up to 1ml/L.

Seeing as my recipe is an IPA I might as well use a full syringe of each - which is close enough to 1ml/L.

EDIT: and I'll just put the full dose into my bottling bucket.

kaiserben said:
Cheers. So-

Typical doasage 0.05-0.4 mL/L, but some US triple hopped IPAs might use up to 1ml/L.

Seeing as my recipe is an IPA I might as well use a full syringe of each - which is close enough to 1ml/L.

EDIT: and I'll just put the full dose into my bottling bucket.
Put the drop s in first then the beer on top. This will mix it really well.

So ... I'm finally, actually, about to use these Citralicious/Geronimo hop shots.

Can I use them as a complete substitute for dry hopping? Or should it be more of an added extra to regular dry hopping?

kaiserben said:
So ... I'm finally, actually, about to use these Citralicious/Geronimo hop shots.

Can I use them as a complete substitute for dry hopping? Or should it be more of an added extra to regular dry hopping?
I tried them as a complete substitute a couple months back in a big IIPA. I think they took a while to meld in properly at first but after a week or so in the keg it really settled down to be a great drop.

I agree it takes a little bit to settle down, the herbal notes evident at a fresh addition seem to tone down after a while conditioning.

Ive not had the brewday to experiment, but I was going to do some trials in 10L cubes, franing from a %20 %35 and a %50 substitution against a normal recipe...

I still intend to do the experiment, as soon as I can get the time to bloody brew something..

I hear you Jesse, time is bloody hard to grab lately.

I'm yet to try too. I'm a kitter so intending to try it with the new Thomas Coopers brew A IPA and Bootmaker.

Make batch as usual, bottle half straight from fermenter.
Then add maybe 1ml from Citralicious and 1ml from Victory to bottling bucket with bulk prime solution. Bottle and label.

Might have to grab on of these soon - my mongrel keg could do with a bit of pimping.

The six packs are an awesome deal! :beerbang:

Are these experimental ones planned for release in future?

Back