Storing Hopped Cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fylp

Reaction score
Hi All,

I tend to leave out cube hops when storing for a while- more whirlpool instead. Does anyone out there cube hop and leave it for any extended period, i.e. longer than a few days.

Thanks

Sure do Fylp. Locks all that hoppy goodness into the wort.

I think the longest with cube hops is around 18 months and it smelt like fresh wort once opened and had the usual flavour profile predicted. The longest cube without hops was well over that.

Yep, it's fine. Hops have a preservative effect on wort, so it's all good.

Just keep it away from sunlight (I just chuck a garbage bag over the cube anyway to keep dust etc. off).

I used a cube to hold up one end of a shelf in the garage for 18 months and it went on to get the second highest score last year in the NSW comp.
Not recommended as standard procedure however.

Just out of interest, what are the benefits of storing cubes for so long before fermenting? At what point do the hops stop imparting flavour/aroma into the wort in the cube?

Also curious, it's known that hop influence diminishes in beer over time AFTER fermentation and bottling/kegging etc. Does the same apply to wort stored in cubes or does it maintain its freshness the whole time?

Bribie G said:
I used a cube to hold up one end of a shelf in the garage for 18 months and it went on to get the second highest score last year in the NSW comp.
Not recommended as standard procedure however.
Was it cube hopped?

No it was a RIS, probably scared off any bacterium that dared approach it. I dry hopped it with a bit of Challenger during fermentation to freshen it up a bit.

What's everyone's proceed for storing cubes? Particularly no chill. I did a few early on in the piece that got infected, pretty sure due to oxygen and haven't been game to leave them longer than a day or 2 before fermenting since. When I fill up the cube I make sure wort is almost coming out top of cube before sealing, thus hopefully preventing oxygen getting in

I usually put the lid on the cube
squeeze the cube and crack the lid till a tiny bit or wort comes out
tighten lid back up

there should be enough heat in the wort that it will pasteurise the remaining air. if there isn't... you're doing it wrong.

the longest ive gone is ~5 months before fermenting

I do the same as n87. Except for the times I'm able to completely fill the cube to the brim with wort. In that instance the lid just goes straight on, maybe a light squeeze to get any excess air out. Then I leave it on its side for 15-20 mins to get the wort up into the handle, then back to upright for storage until fermentation. You will never remove all the air though, unless the handle is not hollow. All you can do is remove as much as possible.

Cheers lads, I would like to start doing some double batches and storing cubes so this will assist

That's my motivation also. I have done one batch without the cube hops and compared to my usual it lacked a lot of flavour. My concern originated from a fear or the hops getting too freaky after being in contact with the wort for an extended time. I'll give it a run in the next fortnight and see how it goes in a few months. I have unlimited 20l cube access, so this could be the beginning of marathon brew weeks in the holidays

Rocker1986 said:
I do the same as n87. Except for the times I'm able to completely fill the cube to the brim with wort. In that instance the lid just goes straight on, maybe a light squeeze to get any excess air out. Then I leave it on its side for 15-20 mins to get the wort up into the handle, then back to upright for storage until fermentation. You will never remove all the air though, unless the handle is not hollow. All you can do is remove as much as possible.
i manage to get all but the tiniest bubble out (likely to be from a hollow in the lid)
you rock it back ~45 degrees, squeeze, tighten lid

as mine cools, it absorbs that little bubble so mine end up air free

And my handle is hollow

Mine cubes are white versions of this: http://willow.com.au/home.php/carry-cans/carry-can-20l.html

I might try that next brew day. I have the other type of cubes, like what FWKs come in except 25L size rather than 20L. Either way, the tiny bit of air in there hasn't caused any issues in almost 3 years so I'm not too worried about it. :)

So many of my cubes are not holding seal anymore, it's a real PITA.

Tighten the cube, lay it down - it doesn't leak, so I assume it's fine. Check back a day later (cube has been standing upright) and the cube has expanded and sucked air back in. Luckily I've had an empty fermenter and yeast handy when this has happened.

n87 said:
i manage to get all but the tiniest bubble out (likely to be from a hollow in the lid)
you rock it back ~45 degrees, squeeze, tighten lid

as mine cools, it absorbs that little bubble so mine end up air free

And my handle is hollow

Mine cubes are white versions of this: http://willow.com.au/home.php/carry-cans/carry-can-20l.html
same, I get no air in my cubes, if there is a teeny bubble, its usually absorbed as it cools

a related question. I have 4 brews that I transferred out of primary into "secondary" sealed cubes for cold conditioning in the fridge. Is it ok to stack full cubes on top of each other (only 2 cubes high)? What if there is some slight carbonation pressure? I'm going on holidays for a week and don't want to come home and find I've blown a tap and my sweet, sweet (actually bitter) beer is spilled all over the floor.

They'll probably be ok, but you can just cold condition in the primary anyway. No need for transferring to secondaries (unless you're planning on conditioning it for months or something).

Well I was planning on lagering at least one beer for 6 weeks. But the main reason I put them in cubes was to be able to fit 80 litres of beer into one fridge. probably would not have fit with fermenters.

Latest posts

Back