Storing Dry Yeast in the Freezer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've always kept my dry yeast in the fridge, thinking that's the best way to store it. The other day I accidentally stuck them in the freezer and about 24 hours later I realized what I'd done and thought I'd probably caused them harm.

The instructions on the sachets generally say to store below 10 degrees Celsius, or store in a dry cool place. there's no reference to freezing

I posted what I'd done in a FB group that I'm a member of, with members from all over the world, and it turns out pretty much everyone who commented, stores their yeast in the freezer and also claim that it's the best way to keep it.

The general consensus was that it's freeze dried, so freezing them won't hurt. I'm unconvinced, but only because the manufacturers don't specifically state that it can be done.

I've gone back over all technical data sheets I've got and can't find anything about freezing yeast anywhere. Maybe there's more up to date information around than what I've got on file.

I'm interested to hear from others about how they store their dry yeast.

Below are excerpts from Lallemand, Fermentis and Mangrove Jack Technical data sheets, in no particular order.

Fermentis Yeast Storage.JPG
Lallemand Yeast Storage.JPG

MJ Yeast Excerpt.JPG

I've always stored dry yeast in the freezer without issues, im currently using up some of my older yeast but have brewed with 6year old yeast without issue :p
Same here. Don't know what the oldest yeast I've used would be, I never checked the dates.

Latest posts

Back