Improving a kit brew after finished and kegged

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi There,

Made a kit beer (leaving brand out this, dont want to become chat about the make it is a european lager - probably a classic beer that I thought had more punch) - disappointed how ordinary it is - think all went ok in the brewing process.

I was thinking of maybe dry hopping it and chucking some hops (should I use hop bag?) - how long - how much?

Or adding some honey ? Maybe adding ginger cordial and ginger to make it into a type of ginger beer?

Anyone done anything like this ? and any ideas?

thanks

Last edited:
Did you combine in keg or just mix in glass? I have a Belgian smoked ale which I’m not sure about, and this one - might make a good combo.. if I do 50/50 in a glass and see.

You can dry hop in kegs, and in that style Hallertau Mittelfruh or Saaz dry hop well, though it isn't common practice with Euro lagers. To avoid grassy flavours I'd probably try keeping the amounts modest, say, 1 - 1.5 g/ l, and drink it fairly soon. Or use a hop sack, dry hop for a few days, and remove before pressurising. You are experimenting.

Hi There,

Made a kit beer (leaving brand out this, dont want to become chat about the make it is a european lager - probably a classic beer that I thought had more punch) - disappointed how ordinary it is - think all went ok in the brewing process.

I was thinking of maybe dry hopping it and chucking some hops (should I use hop bag?) - how long - how much?

Or adding some honey ? Maybe adding ginger cordial and ginger to make it into a type of ginger beer?

Anyone done anything like this ? and any ideas?

thanks
You could make a hop tea with Hall, Saaz, etc.. Home Brew Shops usually sell dry hop tea bags of different hops. Add hot water, cover, steep for 15+ minutes. Add the infused water carefully to the keg, purge keg with CO2

You could make a hop tea with Hall, Saaz, etc.. Home Brew Shops usually sell dry hop tea bags of different hops. Add hot water, cover, steep for 15+ minutes. Add the infused water carefully to the keg, purge keg with CO2
Could add liquid with carbonation cap and bottle with pressure so don’t have to open. Cheers

Latest posts

Back