Brigalow ginger beer kit substitute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papamoaetmac

Reaction score
Hi there

I have been using the Brigalow Ginger Beer kit for a while here in NZ. I can't get now and have been advised by the shops here they think the supplier/manufacturer has closed down?

Is there a substitute recipe - I have tried the Mangrove Jacks Ginger beer kit - want the cleaner Ginger taste, less beer and malty flavour.
this is what I've been making and happy with the flavour. added brown sugar to add more colour to it.

600 grams fresh Ginger
15 kaffir lime leaves
1 Birds eye Chilli
2 teaspoons dried Ginger powder
400 grams raw sugar
200 grams brown sugar
Boiled these then strained into fermenter with Brigalow kit plus a bottle of Buderim Ginger cordial.

Fermentation takes about 6 days 4.2% leave for about 6 weeks in the bottles before opening.

Couple of questions?

If I can't get the brigalow should i just add another bottle of Buderim cordial?
The brigalow had a yeast nutrient as well as the yeast under the lid. I can find the yeast at the local home brew shop but not nutrient - do I need this for it to start fermenting or is there another/better yeast to use?

Last edited:
Get a Morgans kit, i kegged one 2 weeks ago and its in the keezer now on tap - bloody beautiful it is.
I pimped it out -

1kg of brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
4 cloves
2 small chillies

OG 1.036
FG 1.004

Latest posts

Back