Stainless steel pots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of interest...if there's anyone reading who is looking at the 18,32,50L combo, but doesn't really need the 50L, PM me and I'll split the buy.

I need a larger BIAB basket for my 98L pot. I'm currently using a 19L and mashing twice, which is getting quite tedious !

My perforated 19L could be worked into the deal if there are any takers.

Melbourne preferably.

My 100L just arrived on Monday (12th), ordered it on 6th, not bad. Bottom and sides relatively thin (think the whole parcel weight was about 6kg) but for my required use (HLT) it will be great. Good to replace the first Ally pot I purchased from craftbrewer back in about 2007.

Cheers

I've ordered the 3 pot set in conjunction with another AHBer.

I'll post a few pics when they arrive.

Am I reading this right/wrong?

0.5mm?

As in, half a millimeter thick? Surely that's not right?

i just took delivery of the 100L model.

it is magnetic.
i put ~90L of water in it overnight to make sure my potential beer was safe. it held it fine, but it did end up with a couple of tiny rust spots on the welds.

also, make sure you give it a GOOD wash out, mine was filthy

overall, it seems sturdy enough, the top lip roll gives the whole thing a decent amount of regidity... wouldnt trust those handles with over a single batch of beer tho...

I was so close to buying one. But if it's only ss coated. The magnetic part would it be worth it. Has anyone bought any full stainless steel ones at a good price locally

Being magnetic does not mean that it isn't solid stainless steel.
Without diving too deep into phases and allotropes, there are a few kinds of stainless steel: austenitic, martensitic, feritic and combinations of those 3.
These names refer to the crystalline structures of the metals.
Of those, austenitic is non magnetic. The others are or can be magnetic. Magnetic stainless is fairly common really.

Not For Horses said:
Being magnetic does not mean that it isn't solid stainless steel.
Without diving too deep into phases and allotropes, there are a few kinds of stainless steel: austenitic, martensitic, feritic and combinations of those 3.
These names refer to the crystalline structures of the metals.
Of those, austenitic is non magnetic. The others are or can be magnetic. Magnetic stainless is fairly common really.

yup, was just mentioning it cause its what people ask

Got my 100 . pretty happy with it. I tested it full of water, no leaks and the handles coped with it being lifted half full. No rust. The welds are good and have not been or needed cleaning up. I seen a pot in a shop that had the welds ground thinning the surrounding metal. You would have to spend 600+ to get better.

Actually, i just measured my '100L' pot... did some quick calculations....

by the measurements, if i fill it to over filling, it will hold 80L

who else has the 100L version, could you measure it?

my mesurements:
ID: 480mm
Inside Height: 450

i think i got jipped

Eagleburger said:
Got my 100 . pretty happy with it. I tested it full of water, no leaks and the handles coped with it being lifted half full. No rust. The welds are good and have not been or needed cleaning up. I seen a pot in a shop that had the welds ground thinning the surrounding metal. You would have to spend 600+ to get better.

i have just noticed that the seller is now selling '82L', '58L' instead of 100L and 70L now...

Sounds reasonable to me for cheap steel pots. Ever seen a 19L job from bigw?!

n87 said:
Actually, i just measured my '100L' pot... did some quick calculations....

by the measurements, if i fill it to over filling, it will hold 80L

who else has the 100L version, could you measure it?

my mesurements:
ID: 480mm
Inside Height: 450

i think i got jipped
Absolutely.

A litre is 10cm3, so converting your measurements to centimetres:
Inside diameter: 4.80cm (thus radius = 2.40)
Inside height: 4.50cm

Volume of a cylinder = Area of Base × height
=> π × radius2 × height
=> π × 2.4 × 2.4 × 4.5
=> 81.34 litres

Better get back to them. Hopefully they've given you the wrong pot by accident, not design.

Mr Wibble said:
Absolutely.

=> π × radius2 × height
=> π × 2.4 × 2.4 × 4.5
=> 81.34 litres

Better get back to them. Hopefully they've given you the wrong pot by accident, not design.

yup, my results exactly... or close enough, depending on how many places you take Pi....

i messaged the seller and got a reply overnight

hi there

really sorry about that
my supplier have advised me all 100L they provide is only 82L not 100L

i have been aware of this issue just wonder if you will be ok to take $20 refund as compensation

my apologies for all inconvenience

cheers

i have accepted the refund as i dont have the time to get it sent to and from victoria, i am mashing my first AG tomorrow.
also, considering im still green, it will prob be a lottle while before i do triple batches anyway

Mr Wibble said:
Absolutely.

=> π × radius2 × height
=> π × 2.4 × 2.4 × 4.5
=> 81.34 litres

You got there in the end I guess but, my god, that is some awful maths :p
A litre is 1000cm3
A cm is 10mm

Latest posts

Back