Stainless steel pots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been watching them for weeks, if I hadn't just built my 70lt hlt and got it just how I want it, I'd have bought weeks ago.. If I were you, I'd Ask for wall and base thickness.. Don't forget to post replies ;)

i'm 90% sure this is the brand that they sell at a&j trading in the fortitude valley. I have a 50L and 80L one that i used for a very long time. I use it with a 32 jet mongolian without trouble, so no need to worry about scorching.

I was using the 50L the other day and there is a spot of rust where a nail sat there for ages but apart from that no rust except on the handle and lightly on the rim. These have been stored very poorly though.

So i think it could be good. Providing its the same brand of course

I just got the 18, 32,50 combo for $100 converted the 32 to a HLT and it is good.
Used the 50L as a boiler after sauce day and boiled 30 bottles of passata on the kitchen stove top.
The base is thin but that's ok for me as my brewery is electric.

Please let us know how they go. Judging by the lid, they look very thin, like the elcheapo stainless you can get at coles. Might be too flimsy to drill through.
If they work out, they are a bargain!

They do seem very cheap. Will be using them electric also.

How did you go drilling them Tex? No problems ??

mckenry said:
Please let us know how they go. Judging by the lid, they look very thin, like the elcheapo stainless you can get at coles. Might be too flimsy to drill through.
If they work out, they are a bargain!
Even if they are thin, I managed to drill and seal a BigW 19lt pot with no issues, should still be OK.

Yep VERY thin but I managed to drill 3 holes in them, not very well but I did. I have 1 ball valve, thermometer and a sight glass.
I have a 22mm chassis punch which worked VERY well in thin stainless, struggled a litle in the keg wall :)
I have 2 piece ball valves from Grain and Grape, they opperate with such little force the wall only flexes slightly. I have a cheap KK one and it requires a lot more force to move. Not sure if you can pull them appart and fix this.
I have no trouble sealing them and no rust. I follow the advice of the guy from 5 star chemicals and store my SS brew gear in an acidic environment. (spray with star San) apprently this protects the SS from rust.

Messaged the guy on eBay.

Asked him what thickness the walls were, and if the base was thicker than the walls.

The response was the base is 0.5mm approx.

That was all. So I think I'll assume the whole thing is .5mm

Thick enough?

Ok, didnt reply to him, but he sent another message.

0.5mm base
0.4mm wall approx

What would the recommended size stainless be for electric brewing?

I can source stainless pretty resonable, so i could probably buy a sheet of .9mm or something and make a few pots out of it cheaper than
i can buy a good one.

I got a 100L coming. The 100L I seen in a shop was about 0.5mm and looked like it would do the job.

Neo_4, you would need to know someone with a metal spinning lathe and a pattern to spin the pot for you, so it could work out very expensive if you got your own sheet.

I use a BigW pot as my heat exchanger, pretty thin nut managed to put all sorts of holes in and seal without issue, as said above, if I hadn't recently finished with my upgrades, (120l kettle, 70l HLT) I'd have totally bought one already.

Half a mm is pretty thin but shouldn't be an issue if you drill carefully.

Tex083 said:
I just got the 18, 32,50 combo for $100 converted the 32 to a HLT and it is good.
Used the 50L as a boiler after sauce day and boiled 30 bottles of passata on the kitchen stove top.
The base is thin but that's ok for me as my brewery is electric.
How are the seams in the 50L Tex? Thinking about using it as a fermenter

The seam is a little rough I probably wouldnt use it to ferment in. But you could... I have been looking into the "Better Bottle" a fully set up one costs about $100 but will outlast 4 regular plastic ones.
Its about the same cost as the BB on SS fermenters/oil tins and has the same benifits - no flavour transmission and easy to clean. The guy who sells them fermented a sour then a pils with no transmission. Try doing that!

Im also looking at a SS conical but I could get 10 better bottles for the price!

My plan is to use a better bottle for sours too but use a stainless 50L pot fermenter for regular brews so I don't spend mega bucks on a conical. Looks like my search continues

well i've done some maths today on making stainless pots, as they seem to be the most expensive part of the project.

Based on around 100L, 45cm wide, 60cm high. There is around $40 worth of stainless in it (not including a lid) and it would cost me around $10 to roll it. Free welding.

Might organise one for myself and see how it turns out. At least this way I could customise them to suit the braumeister design, skinny and high seems to be the go.

Back