Advice on Mega Jet cooker and 50L stainless pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BennyBrew

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my setup from a 15L pot which I previously cooked on a stove top (electric) to a larger pot and stand alone gas burner.

I am looking to brew 23L extract batches (eventually will look to get into BIAB/AG) and have been looking at the following:

Mega Jet Gas Burner - Companion Mega Jet Outdoor Power Cooker
50L Stainless Steel Pot - Companion 50L Stainless Steel Stock Pot

Was hoping I could get some advice on the following:

- Is the Mega Jet burner ideal for brewing 23L batches?
- Will a 50L pot be too big (unsafe) for the frame? Good size for a 23L batch size?
- Will this setup be beneficial for when I eventually go AG?
- Is there a better/cheaper setup I should be looking at?

Any help would be appreciated!

If you click on the detailed description of the burner it says it can hold pots and pans up to 220mm diameter but click on the specifications of the pot and that’s 400mm diameter so probably not the safest setup.

Have you had a look at https://www.keg-king.com.au/or Home Brew Supplies | Beer Dispensing | KegLand Australia they have burners and pots that may be more suitable (burners can hold a 50L keg) and probably cheaper.

Or another option is go electric with something like the Digiboil as suggested above.

Last edited:
Thanks - Digiboil looks pretty much exactly what I am after.
Have you had experience with it? Recommend it?

Unfortunately the 35L is currently sold out (back in August 10) - should I just wait or would this do the trick:
https://www.keg-king.com.au/boiler-2300-watt-domed-lid-no-hole.html
Used similar setups but I haven’t used the Digiboil. If you budget can stretch to it single vessel breweries like https://www.keg-king.com.au/guten-40ltr-micro-brewery.html or BrewZilla 35L - Gen.3.1.1 - EXTENDED 3 YEAR WARRANTY seem to be all the rage at the moment.

Thanks S.E. after looking into it a bit more I reckon I might save up and go for the single vessel brewery. Have you got experience with either the Guten or Brewzilla? Pros/Cons?
I don’t own one so have very little experience, only seen and helped brew with them and found them compact and easy to use. I did start off with a very simple electric single vessel biab but have used gas for many years now.

Lots of folk on here use the Brewzilla or Guten, some with both and will probably chime in with preference and pros/cons.

They do seem to break down or need replacement parts a lot compared to gas burner and pots though. I have had the same burner for over 20 years with no trouble and only ever changed pots for bigger ones.

i
Looking to upgrade my setup from a 15L pot which I previously cooked on a stove top (electric) to a larger pot and stand alone gas burner.

I am looking to brew 23L extract batches (eventually will look to get into BIAB/AG) and have been looking at the following:

Mega Jet Gas Burner - Companion Mega Jet Outdoor Power Cooker
50L Stainless Steel Pot - Companion 50L Stainless Steel Stock Pot

Was hoping I could get some advice on the following:

- Is the Mega Jet burner ideal for brewing 23L batches?
- Will a 50L pot be too big (unsafe) for the frame? Good size for a 23L batch size?
- Will this setup be beneficial for when I eventually go AG?
- Is there a better/cheaper setup I should be looking at?

Any help would be appreciated!
I use one of these burners with a 50L and 70L pot with no problems. Has no problem with a 65L boil.

i

I use one of these burners with a 50L and 70L pot with no problems. Has no problem with a 65L boil.
What pot diameter will yours hold? In the detailed description of the one linked above it says “Can hold aluminium or cast iron pots and pans up to 220mm diameter” That may be a misprint though?

What pot diameter will yours hold? In the detailed description of the one linked above it says “Can hold aluminium or cast iron pots and pans up to 220mm diameter” That may be a misprint though?
If you read the specs it says pots to 220mm, clearly a misprint as the specs also say the width (diameter) is 360mm. Much the same as the ones from KL & KK. I purchased the KL one and sent it back as it was much too difficult to use, constantly went out, useless if even a slight breeze. The Companion unit has now been used for 50+ brews without a problem.

Latest posts

Back