SS FV EOI

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Les the Weizguy said:
Yep, I'm definitely excited.
Now I have no excuse for not fermenting the cubes I have lying about. Just build a yeast culture.

Just remembered that I have a cube of Gonzo Porter clone. Look forward to growing up some Flying dog yeast from the mother culture in the fridge.

Gee, and a I²PA clone from long ago. Need the Pacman yeast. Will contact my Wyeast man, he always comes up with the goods.
send me a tube!!

been trying to get that yeast for years now, every time I look for it there is none about

Hey Jesse,

That's because there is only distribution via the Brewcraft people in the US, who sell the kits to go with it. Wyeast do not sell it via their catalogue any more, IIRC.

If I can get one, it will be reserved (old) stock. Wanna split it?

Is there a recommended way to dissemble & clean the Ss taps. I've not started fermenting in mine yet but would like to break down and clean everything before doing so.
Thought I would ask bf trying the vice.

Mine turned up safe and sound yesterday only had a quick look but it is impressive. Quick question what are people doing to vent them Ie blow off tube glad wrap etc?

Glad you're happy with it Brucce. :beer:
Consider drilling a hole off-centre in the lid to accommodate a home-made thermowell (half a corny dip tube). Probe should sit in the middle of a 22/23-litre wort.
Also consider making another off-centre hole to take a 25mm length of ss tube from a 50-litre keg which should make for much better blow-off capabilities than a standard blow-off tube.
Get them TIG welded in.
Clark Rubber sell reinforced food-grade hosing to suit the above if you decide to go that way.

I'm planning to just use cling wrap (generic/Coles), and hope I don't ever overfill the thing.

@Yob, I may already have a Pacman culture here in a 600ml fizzy drink bottle, from a while back, but it's unlabelled. Is there any unique characters that would help me verify if it's Pacman?
All my other cultures were moved outside, and the bottles were chewed by rats. I so love rats!

Hey Yob, all good.
Let me know when it suits you for a pick-up. Am free most nights this week.

Any night either on 6 or after 8:30 mate (with exception of tonight when only after half 8)

Just buzz me to remind me you are on your way and I'll sort it out.

:icon_cheers:

Finally got mine in use, fits in the fridge like the proverbial finger..

Say goodbye to blow off tubes, silly yeasty messes and wonderful bling SS fermenting

SSFV.JPG

:super:

I havnt got my stout out of it yet, but it's feckin shiny still.. except for the drool marks.. or what I hope is drool marks at least..

:lol:

I managed to get one of these from another source & am very happy with the ease of sterilising.
Using my over-the-side immersion heater to boil 15 litres of water (later transferred to HLT through the ball valve) in the olive oil drum works really well + followed by a spray of phos acid to be sure just about waves goodbye to any chance of infection when fermenting.

Another thing that was causing doubts about these drums earlier was the perceived lack of visibility of the tapered insides when cleaning.
Happy to report that the mouth of the drum is just wide enough to see the entire inside when tilted so cleaning should be a breeze after kegging in 10 days time.

Oh Happy Days indeed! :lol:

How do these go for atttaching flexible tube to the tap for bottling or kegging?

Latest posts

Back