Show Us Your Drained Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, no. This is actually referred to as "The Warren" method and has been adopted by many a brewer. No doomsday'ers. Warren talks about it on page 1 of this thread, and elsewhere in the forums.

reVox

:lol: I've no right to lay the original claim there reVox... I shamelessly swiped it off an American forum like most other original methods here. :ph34r:

The genesis for my idea was from the Sabco kettles.

Warren -

22 grams of Southern Cross used yesterday in a CAP!

C&B
TDA

SC_CAP_Flowers.jpg

The Stout I did on the weekend using only NZ Southern Cross flowers.

stout.JPG

yes, something like that ;)

...or a failed to enable the red eye reduction on the camera. :p

P4190310.JPG

60g Williamette and 45g of EKG flowers in 30L of Chocolate Porter. I didn't spill this one... <_<

HARVEST_ALE_HOPS.jpg
08 Harvest Ale with 300 odd grams for 50 ltrs
Nugget cones for bittering and backyard Cluster cones for FWH & the late editions.

- Luke

Used flowers for the first time tonight, decided to give Devo's GB ale a crack :)

S4010004.jpg

Had a little accided at the start (its hard work brewing alone with a fridge full of piss)

S4010001.jpg

Break forming around the chiller coil @ ~23C

P5120450.JPG

.. and filtered perfectly by 180g NS flowers.

P5120454.JPG

Schooey,
Those chiller snap fittings in the boiler are a disaster waiting to happen.

Rgds,
Peter

One drawback that I have found with using hop flowers is that they tend to hold and retain more wort in the kettle resulting in less wort going into the fermenter/cube.

Schooey,
Those chiller snap fittings in the boiler are a disaster waiting to happen.

Rgds,
Peter

Yeah Pete, I've had one blow off the outlet side due to the hot water, but I hang them over the side when using it. When I took the pic, it was turned off and I'd moved it a bit.

Eventually when i get my rig built, I will plumb the chiller coil in hard by welding two nipples through the kettle wall, with a QD on the outside.

G'day chaps.

here's a couple of extra pics. Its a s/s basket with perforations pretty much the same diameter as you find in most commercially available false bottoms. It has a lid that clips on, and I suppose that could be useful if you wanted to immerse the whole thing during the boil. But I find it sits nicely on the bottom of the boiler, so that later additions of hops are very easy. Its actually used for commercial soup making..called a "soup basket" accordingly ...

with lid ajar:

SL371056.jpg

with lid on:

SL371055.jpg

and in action (apologies for pic quality, flash unit stuffed...)

SL370996.jpg

I made a similar but smaller variant out of a billy tin that I picked up from an army disposals and drilled with small holes. I tend to only use it for dry hopping rather than in the boil.

med_gallery_1544_221_512985.jpg

Back