Show Us Your Drained Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BOOO pellets are for guinea pigs.

No Ute.... No Circlework!

hops_after_boil_sheep_shagger__824_x_549_.jpg

SF_bock_hops_and_break_in_kettle.jpg

Hop_pellets_in_kettle__824_x_549_.jpg

No Ute.... No Circlework!

:lol: Fair analogy.

Or in musical terms. Pellets are the bass and drums. Flowers and Plugs are the Lead guitar and singer. :D

This one is 50% pellets and 50% plugs. Don't ask me what type. This beer was a cupboard cleaner and actually contained nine (yep) individual hop varieties.

As long as the real stuff is still physically visible I'll permit the circle work. :p

Don't laugh I've got to drink the resultant beer.

Warren -

pellets_and_plugs.JPG

Cute thread :wub:

I built this over the weekend:
hop_screen.jpg

Worked a treat:
drained.jpg

I reckon I need to rethink the pickup arm positioning
arm.jpg

wrapping it back as close to the valve as poss or just installing the ball directly to the valve coupling itself. That way, I could tip the vessle while still drawing off the outside.. probably left a good 2L behind (in addition to what the hops suck up).

I've been meaning to ask you guys who are using SS false bottoms and drawing from the bottom/center of vessle, are you not concered with break or trub? Or how are you dealing with it?

Cheers,
reVox

Revox

Providing the false bottom is securely fastened no real break or trub gets through. Sits on the top of the bed of spent hop cones.

BTW... Love the money shot! B)

Warren -

Aww, awright Warren. :)

Here's a shot from a 23 litre batch of English IPA I did late last year.

Img_1844_resized.jpg

Postmortem on the beer? Should have used the Fuggles when I 1st got them.
Will see if I can manage a pic of the beer sometime soon.

Pete

PS: Oops. No boiler in shot. Figured it was the flowers you were interested in anyway.

Bloody good idea Revox - nice one!
Cheers
Steve

Aww, awright Warren. :)

Here's a shot from a 23 litre batch of English IPA I did late last year.

View attachment 17356

Postmortem on the beer? Should have used the Fuggles when I 1st got them.
Will see if I can manage a pic of the beer sometime soon.

Pete

PS: Oops. No boiler in shot. Figured it was the flowers you were interested in anyway.

Awwrright!! Pete I'm taking that pic to the dunny. Think you're our current winner. :D

Warren -

Yep Revox I like that idea mate. Although I just have a bit of copper pipe bent 180 deg and pointing down a bit and it leaves about 1 litres behind. But that looks good.

Steve

DrGonzo uses the same setup but made his strainer out of a bit of splatterguard frypan thing. I think the idea is, if it gets clogged he can knock it off the tube.

Hmmm, nice one reVox, maybe it could be improved if you remove the bottom half of the strainer, and push the flat part against the kettle floor, draining from the top with a setup like in Tony's pics?

Could get the pick-up right down near the floor with that.

Edit: rough sketch.
pickup.gif

Here's my drained boiler from last weekend's Schwarzbier, with 120g Tettnanger and Hallertauer. (Pic posted on another thread.)

Had a litre or so of wastage with this one. (Pick-up tube got clogged with hops.) It was a 34 litre batch, so I'm not too worried about it.

dregs2.jpg

Here is another one for you warren. A nice combination of Chinook and Horizon pellets with US Cascade plugs thrown in for good measure.

hop_trub2.JPG

Hmmm, nice one reVox, maybe it could be improved if you remove the bottom half of the strainer, and push the flat part against the kettle floor, draining from the top with a setup like in Tony's pics?

Could get the pick-up right down near the floor with that.
post-1971-1201239058.gif

Hey, thanks all for the nice feedback on the pickup screen. Cheers Simon on the rough sketch/idea. I've been mulling around which way to modify it, and I reckon that's a great idea! I'll snap a few photos after the next mod/brew day.

Thanks Warren for the feedback re: trub/break.

reVox

Awwrright!! Pete I'm taking that pic to the dunny. Think you're our current winner. :D

Warren -

I've been cleaning the cupboard too. :)
Yesterday's effort - 11 plugs (and 155g of pellets) for 23 litres of English Style IPA.
hops_in_boiler_resized.jpg
hops_on_FB_0263_resized.jpg

Hop shortage? What hop shortage? :)

Pete

"Yesterday's effort - 11 plugs (and 155g of pellets) for 23 litres of English Style IPA."

JEBUS that's a lot of hops!! :eek:

Here's tonight's brew. 3 goldings plugs in an english brown ale. Beerbelly hop stopper is hiding somewhere under that mound to the left, the ugly mug with the phone camera is reflected in around 1-200mL of wort.

sludge.jpg

med_gallery_1194_208_59869.jpg

Had a Southern Cross smelling neighborhood on Saturday Morning.
90 grams in the bottom of the boiler. No false bottom just a big bit of stainless steel wool clamped around tube.
Did no loose much to the hops and the last couple of liters went into a milk container.
Magic hops and will be using these again.

Back