Show Us Your Drained Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was going to do a steam but ended on a pale very similar to your Southern Cross cream ale.
I will have to get more hops for the steam :p .

1050 FG to cubes.
90 % BB Pale and or Galaxy.
8% flaked corn and rice.
2% table sugar and a very small amount of flaked oats.
Mashed in low for a bit then infused to get it up to the hot end as I did not want it to dry.
Hops to about 25 IBu with 4 editions 45, 15, 5 and big flame out.
Used tank water, Bit of gypsum, 5.2 in the mash and flocc in the kettle.

>> I am going to get a false bottom or hop stoppa going soon for the Kiwi flowers power brews.
The stainless scrubby worked quite well but as I have been told the S/S is not always passivated so If anyone has a go at this make sure you get the right one.

- Luke

A bit of a newbie question but i did my first AG last weekend and lost 6 ltr to the bottom of my boiler. Im using pellets at the moment would a setup like revox work with pellets or any of the others?? I would love to decrease my loss to the trub. I am currently using a piece of copper bent at 180 degrees.

Cheers Ben

Ben,

If you can drain from the side of the kettle (at the bottom of course), try whirlpooling the wort. Once the heat is off and the wort has stopped visibly rising up from the middle of the kettle (the trub gives away the convection currents), slowly stir the wort for about 2 minutes. Don't splash. Just make sure that you get a good rotation going, then let it sit for 5-10 minutes. When you open your drain, the wort will be crystal clear. If your tap isn't at the bottom, try rigging a tube (copper or SS or whatever) that goes from your tap to the side of the kettle. The whirlpool will form a cone of trub & hop particulates in the center of the kettle. The only thing to watch out for is to make sure that the heat source is off/cool before you start the whirlpool as a still warm stand/burner/element/stovetop will develop convection currents that will destroy the cone.

You can see a picture of my kettle's drain here. Scroll down a bit and you'll see it. I don't have any strainer or anything like that, just the tap.

this is with pellets seem to remember posting these pics before somewhere :huh:

pumpy

Hop_Stoppa_fitted.JPG

hop_stoppa_2_with_hops.JPG

i whirlpooled straight after turning of the heat i will try waiting till its stopped rising in the middle next time. Also i did a vigorus whirlpool for 1min will try a more gentle one for 2min next time too

just did a German Pilsner (of sorts) today using NZ green bullets for bittering and Hallertau/tettnang plugs for flavour/aroma.

more_hop_trub.JPG

Stout and Bullets of the green variety. Though they look more like Brussels Sprouts. :icon_drunk:

Warren -

17022008185.jpg

Wazza's Dargle

Somewhat off-topic but these two words have been stuck in my head for several days now without remembering where they came from. I'm almost glad I've worked it out.

PS couldn't you drain your kettle a little more, waz?

Somewhat off-topic but these two words have been stuck in my head for several days now without remembering where they came from. I'm almost glad I've worked it out.

PS couldn't you drain your kettle a little more, waz?

Kai, words are stolen from The Pogue's Waxie's Dargle. :D

Would have thought it would drain more. Being a 120 litre kettle it looks worse than it actually is. Really only 2-3 litres sitting in the bottom.

Warren -

Drained boiler from my first AG
Goldings and Fuggles hops

061.jpg

Drained kettle from Aidan's Irish Red.
Not a lot of hops in this beer, but it isn't the same if I don't use Styrian Goldings flowers :p

AidansIrishRed_DrainedKettle.JPG

Doc

My kettle after todays Kiwi Brown. Pacific Gem, Southern Cross and Styrian Goldings, all NZ grown.
I will put the recipe up on the what are you brewing thread.

C&B
TDA

Flowers.jpg

TDA

Love it! :icon_cheers:

I'll take a guess and say all those seeds come from the NZ Styrians ?? They had quite a few when I used them previously too.

Warren -

TDA

Love it! :icon_cheers:

I'll take a guess and say all those seeds come from the NZ Styrians ?? They had quite a few when I used them previously too.

Warren -

Too right Warren, gotta say the aroma of the NZ Styrians doesn't pack the same punch the higher alpha NZ hop flowers do. Should be interesting to see how they come out in this brew however.

C&B
TDA

Heres a 100L kettle after doing a small batch (23L) of Pliny The Elder.
gallery_42_216_97522.jpg

I normally get a uniform cone forming, and am able to drain the kettle much further down. This time with 300g of kettle hops was a bit harder.

Just finished making a rice CAP and almost melting in the process... Stinking hot Public Holiday today. :eek:

Green Bullet and Hallertau Hersbrucker. B)

Warren -

10032008261.jpg

Just finished making a rice CAP and almost melting in the process... Stinking hot Public Holiday today. :eek:

Green Bullet and Hallertau Hersbrucker. B)

Warren -

cripes warren, you're keen! :eek: It must have been near 45 c plus with the NASA goin?

Latest posts

Back