Show Us Your Brew Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nala said:
Same here Nev....a bit like new golf clubs, ordinary golfers think shiny new clubs will lower scores, I have a shed full of golf clubs,
only one Hermit !
^ Not sure if calling me ordinary.....or just really bad at golf. Nice setup though. Early on I was looking at going down the Herm-it route but, like a lot of us here, I love building things myself. Half the reason I love this hobby so much - I spend more time modifying my rig then I do brewing on it! Probably why I'm such an ordinary brewer. :ph34r: :p

mofox1 said:
One of a kind then... bah.

Pete's bargains gets a good rap, will have to head down there or scour gumtree. Or find a local metal work joints to see if I can get a cheap bracket made up!

You're local(ish) to me... know any decent metal work places who will weld for beer? :D
Mofox, if you can get all your materials together and tell me where it goes, I'm more than happy to stick it together for you. As long as you realise it could end up looking like something Han Solo would fly...

nala said:
Same here Nev....a bit like new golf clubs, ordinary golfers think shiny new clubs will lower scores, I have a shed full of golf clubs,
only one Hermit !
See I work on an alternative theory that served me well back in my footy days; you may as well look like a footballer, even if u arnt one! (I used to say whilst pulling up my socks and tucking in my jumper!)..... Kids these days....

:)

Camo6 said:
Mofox, if you can get all your materials together and tell me where it goes, I'm more than happy to stick it together for you. As long as you realise it could end up looking like something Han Solo would fly...
Choice offer... thanks!

I'll keep it in mind. Actually, now it's more just in mind - brain has taken off and has gone into full blown planning mode.

Haven't brewed for a fair while now but been acquiring bits to upgrade the brewery with bigger elements. Due to a lack of foresight, I'd originally wired the control panel to handle two 10 amp feeds. So, after my first weekend off in awhile, I wired up the controller to handle a few more amps to make use of the two dedicated 4mm2 circuits in the brew area. Now I just need to source the bigger elements from 5star when they come in stock.

Also need to figure out the easiest way to seal a 32mm element into an existing 40mm kettle element hole. Anyone had success doing this? Cheers.

20150816_172850 (1280x720).jpg 20150816_173954 (720x1280).jpg

Hmm 32 mm into a 42 mm hole ?
Maybe make some washers from s/s and back them with silicone washers,it might look unsightly but it may do the job.
Dunno about the kettle type etc but do you know a welder?.

you could try and silver solder a tri clover spud in place... available from brewhardware, then tri clamp element housing from 5 star

My Open Ardbir controller. Great for single vessel.
Only 240 not 415 on the inside. Box came from skip with the label.image.jpg

Im predicting there will be a flood of updates to this thread not long after lael start sending out his run of mathos controllers.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Spog, a decent ss washer was my plan if I can source one for the right price ( or make one). The 5star element guard which acts as a backing nut has a large area too so will work in my favour. I do have a TIG and basic skills but the hole is in a tight spot and would hate to mess it up.
Likewise MB. I don't trust myself to run a decent weld where it is and even soldering would be awkward.
I found some decent Uxcell 3-4kW kettle style elements but don't think they'd fit in the vessel.

Good fastener mobs have marine grade SS washers which would be up to that size and usually a decent thickness too! Around a few bucks per unit.

Thanks DJ, I'll check them out. Still waiting for 5star to get there element guards back in stock!

Cam - I got a few marine grade SS washers from this mob on eBay.

They have a bunch of different sizes you can choose from as well.

No affiliation etc, just a happy customer.

20150808-194337-iPhone_002.JPG

My new 1V controller, uses an SSR for the PID with an SSV on output for using a higher wattage element on a standard 10A circuit.

Just waiting on a new volt/ammeter and to find the label maker.

I'll stop hitting the 'like' button now. I don't know what came over me. I swear I've never done that before...

its a unit that im building based on the arduino and 4d touch screen system. both platforms are good for one of units like this

i still need to implement the pid in the code but apart from that its up and running. i'm just waiting for my brew system to be finished being welded then ill install this into the electrical cabinet
the end setup should be something like this rough CAD drawing that iv done.

ss+(2015-08-18+at+06.56.41).jpg

Back