Show Us Your Brew Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2V RIMS so my controller is fairly simple:
control boxes.jpg

PID, SSR and element isolation on the top
Kettle temperature (on the left), pump control/speed in the middle, and mash temperature all on the bottom. Pump is a 12V LBP with a PWM controller.

Works a treat. :)

paulhill said:
its a unit that im building based on the arduino and 4d touch screen system. both platforms are good for one of units like this

i still need to implement the pid in the code but apart from that its up and running. i'm just waiting for my brew system to be finished being welded then ill install this into the electrical cabinet
the end setup should be something like this rough CAD drawing that iv done.
That interface looks awesome. And turquoise really suits you too.

For anyone looking at the 5-star stuff I had a chat to them not long ago and they said their guards are selling out before they even get to list them. They said contact them via their contact form on the site and include your phone number and what you want. They'll call you to arrange purchase before the next shipment comes in.

Thanks Mardoo, I was meant to reply to an email from them. Hope I haven't missed the boat or I'll be heading to Home Depot for some salt shakers!

The salt shaker looks like an excellent option, just combine it with some cable glands from Jaycar or ebay.

takai said:
The salt shaker looks like an excellent option, just combine it with some cable glands from Jaycar or ebay.
And combine it with a solid earth connection...

Here's mine.. Auber PID and timer, buzzer and reset button, switches for 3600W element, March pump and 24V pump for immersion chiller water. I also put an LED next to the element plug on the base to show when the element is getting powered which is a handy feature. Labels were made up by Eaton Laser (Superoo on AHB).

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Nice one krausenhaus. Similarly, my element 'on' leds are wired off the pid output to the ssr so you can easily see how often the elements cycle.

Gary Busey Brewing. Heheheh!

Looks great Cortez! I've picked up a couple cheap from eBay with the view to do exactly that! Nice to see what I thought of in theory has already been done by someone else (and it works!).

Mr B said:
What does the Pid timer do?

Just provide a visualisation?
You can set timers on them for mash etc, and once the time is up an alarm sounds.

Adr_0 said:
I have a 2V RIMS so my controller is fairly simple:
attachicon.gif
control boxes.jpg

PID, SSR and element isolation on the top
Kettle temperature (on the left), pump control/speed in the middle, and mash temperature all on the bottom. Pump is a 12V LBP with a PWM controller.

Works a treat. :)
You just using the STCs for temp display?

Chris7 said:
You can set timers on them for mash etc, and once the time is up an alarm sounds.

Do they integrate with steps for ramp/soak pid?

I.e, Starts timer when ramp time starts, alarm when temp reached, alarm when step time ended? Or similar?

I'm getting ready to order bits for a controller using an Auber ramp/soak pid, bit not entirely sure exactly what these bring to the controller. Though a few people seem to use them, probably just as many dont....

I think the timer really comes into its own for the boil. They allow a decent number of programmable alarms so are ideal for hop additions and remaining boil time etc. Probably not much use for the mash as a ramp/soak pid will time the mash while also controlling temperature. With the Auber R/S a quick push of a button will show you the remaining step time although it won't show you the total time remaining. But that's not a problem considering the beauty of the Auber is the ability to leave the controller to do its thing. You can also program alarms for set points or fault conditions. The only thing the R/S PID lacks is a manual output control which would be handy for a 1V build but not necessary for a mash vessel.
There's a bit more info on the timer on the Auber website which goes into all its features.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=356

Finally got around to installing my 5star elements and gave the upgraded controller a test run. Ramp times seemed pretty promising but have a bit of tweaking to do to get the HEX PID right. I've mounted the HEX element vertically straight up the guts of my Herm-it coil and seems to be getting pretty rapid heat transfer at the sensor. I might have to hit up Adro's PID thread and try to get my head around it.

Very happy with the way the controller performed otherwise.

20150916_125515 (1280x720).jpg20150916_125525 (1280x720).jpg

Latest posts

Back