Show Us Your Drained Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cripes warren, you're keen! :eek: It must have been near 45 c plus with the NASA goin?

Started pretty early Devo (around 7am) but yah with the height of the burner and the heat it cranks out I kinda felt like the boy who stood on the burning deck. :blink:

Warren -

Kettle42.JPG

70% galaxy, 30% munich II and a stack of NZ Willamette flowers.

Hidden underneath that lot is one of Domonsura's Hop Stoppers - they go alright!

Schwarzbier today.
All plugs, and this is the leftover.

SchwarzbierDrainedBoiler_001.jpg

Hallertau, and Hallertau Mittlefreuh.

Doc

Geez Doc you leave a lot of perfectly good beer in the kettle?

Make a false bottom to hold the hops up and get every drop when using flowers. They even hold up most of the break if you drain slow.

cheers

Geez Doc you leave a lot of perfectly good beer in the kettle?

Make a false bottom to hold the hops up and get every drop when using flowers. They even hold up most of the break if you drain slow.

cheers

Both cubes were full, and that was the leftover. Normally I'd collect the last of the wort for yeast starters, but I didn't realise I had no sanitised bottles.

Doc

Ahhhh no worries...... just looked like a lot to leave behind.

I drain every drop, i hate to waste good beer.

cheers mate

This is about 10 litres left as we run another test brew of the Whale Ale into a cube.
Pretty nice colour & so clear that you can see a reflection of the camera.
(No kettle finnings, Whirfloc etc are used around here)
Cheers
Gerard

March_121.jpg

i give that 5 minuites and counting :lol:

ricoche sounds fades into the distance as the image is cast into outer ciber space :lol: :lol:

Classic!!!

baby poo in the bottom :lol:

that was the best laugh ive had all weekend.

thanks cummins :)

cheers

haha no worries mate. Seriously, "Show us your drained boiler"? can anything else possibly come to mind???

Time to do another brew I think!

Out of interest, what's your problem with kettle finings Gerard?

Cheers Ross

Why bother? I have used them in the past, but not for the past 2 years, I can't see much point at the moment. I also don't like filtering beers & will never use that PolyClar stuff. The result in the glass tells me that I am better off without them. I guess it all gets back to the basics, it is not what you put in the beer, it is what you don't put in the beer that really matters! ;)
Cheers
Gerard

I couldn't agree more with your theory there Gerard. I have made beers with whirfloc that have been like mud, and others without any finings that have come up crystal clear. Funnily enough, the beers that have turned out clear (without help) have been by far the better ones in a technical sense. I'm am of the belief that if you make the beer well in the first place there is no real need for finings - everything seems to have a strange habit of slipping into place...

I wish I could have a screen on my boiler! Unfortunately the bottom is a bit uneven so it'd never sit flat. I used a bazooka screen for a while which worked fairly well. These days I'm using pellets 99% of the time anyway so I gust give it a quick whirlpool and its done!

I wish I could have a screen on my boiler! Unfortunately the bottom is a bit uneven so it'd never sit flat. I used a bazooka screen for a while which worked fairly well. These days I'm using pellets 99% of the time anyway so I gust give it a quick whirlpool and its done!

TD
I read an article in Zymurgy that told of a small German brewery that used it's Lauter Tun instead of a whirlpool. The hop flowers form a filter bed on the false bottom. I guess empty your tun & give it a quick clean during the boil & away you go. Now I can just hear the "Doomsday crowd" getting ready to pull that apart, but it can't be too hard to do. I only ever use pellets, & have a hop-back sitting hear that never gets a run either so not on my to do list.
Cheers
Gerard

I read an article in Zymurgy that told of a small German brewery that used it's Lauter Tun instead of a whirlpool. The hop flowers form a filter bed on the false bottom. I guess empty your tun & give it a quick clean during the boil & away you go. Now I can just hear the "Doomsday crowd" getting ready to pull that apart, but it can't be too hard to do.

Oh, no. This is actually referred to as "The Warren" method and has been adopted by many a brewer. No doomsday'ers. Warren talks about it on page 1 of this thread, and elsewhere in the forums.

reVox

Back