Show Us Your Drained Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty nifty in the fact you could remove and press or sparge the remaining liquid from your hops. As devo stated earlier. A fair belt of whole hops can hold a litre or two of yer precious. :)

I like it Goose. Can't see it being overly cheap though.

Warren -

Anybody seen these available at catering places? Any idea on price?

I reckon its a great idea!

Anybody seen these available at catering places? Any idea on price?

I reckon its a great idea!

Its probably not alot of use, but I picked this up in a catering shop overseas, in Singapore, Temple St to be exact. Cost was very reasonable , around AUD $60 if I recall, and comes in several different sizes as well.

My guess is it would have to be available , as you say from industrial kitchen equipment suppliers or the like.

One thing though, I had to remove the copper suction sube from the boiler spigot to ensure that the basket sat on the base neatly, but I find that if I tilt the boiler while draining to the fermenter, the basket sits against the suction of the spigot and the hops bed seems to do a pretty good natural filtration job.

Goose

:D Got the jumbo bag from Ross.
I Remembered your concern regarding hop utilisation in that small bag pumps.

is there much of an issue with utilisation? i have just bought one.

Lobo

Here's mine with 60g pellets, I initially assumed pellets would block the screen but I had no problems with draining the boiler.

0105_002__Large_.jpg0105_003__Large_.jpg

Andrew

From Fridays brewday. The drained boiler after the latest batch of Aidans Irish Red.

Doc

AidansIrishRed.JPG

Wednesday's brew day...

drained_1.JPG drained_2.JPG

100g Fuggle flower (NZ)
80g Fuggle pellet
60g Willamette pellet

Half a dozen Cascade plugs and 80 grams of Amarillo pellets covering my new kettle screen (a 9 inch false bottom).
Beats the hell out of messing about with a pickup tube.
Should have done it years ago.
P1030235sml.jpg

Half a dozen Cascade plugs and 80 grams of Amarillo pellets covering my new kettle screen (a 9 inch false bottom).
Beats the hell out of messing about with a pickup tube.
Should have done it years ago.
View attachment 21165

Do you use a pump to empty the kettle og is it just gravity?

Regards

Graeme

Here is the kettle after transfer to three cubes for my Hoppy Red Summer Arvo BBQ Quaffer Lite Ale.
Sauvin and Cascade flowers with some trub also from Columbus pellets.

DrainedKettleRedLite.jpg

Doc

Here's mine with 60g pellets, I initially assumed pellets would block the screen but I had no problems with draining the boiler.

View attachment 19502View attachment 19503

Andrew

Andrew,

Am looking for an alternative to my current method of draining the kettle through my hop sock which works well but is rather time consuming.
Your method seems to be the best that I have found ATM that will suit my needs. Is that the Termimesh that you posted when we compared Termimesh gauge sizes yonks ago?
A little concerned that my immersion chiller may accidentally flatten my to-be-made copy of yours so I am making up a ss wire frame first. I average about 100g pellets per brew & hope this will do the trick?

TP :beer:

I use those toast gauze wire thingo's which are much similar to that. They work great, and only $2!

This is what I use to use, but they got clogged heaps because I didn't have a tight enough connection over the copper pipe so hops got in alot.

Filter.jpg

I remade them this way, using one gauze on each bit of copper folded in half (the above is 2 bits of gauze on each copper). I use alot of pelllets, best results are when I whirlpool and let settle for 5 or so then drain. I use a copper boiler, so these guys sit in the centre of the kettle.

DSC00059.jpg

Back