Show Us Your Drained Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMGP0306.JPG

150g of EKG in my NSW case swap Wee Heavy, all done in my new small batch kettle.... Loving the Termimesh :D

How does it work compared to the other option you had before mate?

Andrew,

Am looking for an alternative to my current method of draining the kettle through my hop sock which works well but is rather time consuming.
Your method seems to be the best that I have found ATM that will suit my needs. Is that the Termimesh that you posted when we compared Termimesh gauge sizes yonks ago?
A little concerned that my immersion chiller may accidentally flatten my to-be-made copy of yours so I am making up a ss wire frame first. I average about 100g pellets per brew & hope this will do the trick?

TP :beer:

Same stuff Pete, I have just formed it into a box shape that is riveted at the sides. I've had 200g of plugs in there with no ill effect and 100g pellets so far with no ill effect. It's pretty rigid.

Andrew

How does it work compared to the other option you had before mate?

In my 80L kettle, I have a beerbelly hopscreen. Have only ever been able to get down to about the last 2.5 - 3L, and it still sometimes clogs. This is a new 50L kettle for smaller batches. With the fabricated Termimesh screen, I can drain right down to about 500 mL left in the kettle, and clean as a whistle. I'm lovin' it. I reckon I might trial one in my 80L kettle too since the Termimesh dude that lives up the end of my street is willing to trade for tallies... ;)

Sounds the goods. I use a FB in my smaller 50 liter kettle as you have seen, and it holds up pellets no worries. I want something sinilar in my bigger 18 gallon tub but the "grand canyon" base is prohibitive.

I have considered cutting the base out of my shorter fatter style 50 liter kettle and welding it into the base of the 18 gallon keg but then im down one kettle.

So i either need a vb type vessel to chop up of another method of screening hops and break from the chilled wort.

I remember people doing the termimesh square years back. I remember thinking it was a great idea but no idea where to get termimesh.

cheers

How about two 9 inch falsies back to back or front to front, whichever way you call it, it would form a shell. That may sit in your 18G Tony.

If my neighbour is thirsty, I might manage to get you a coupla feet... :ph34r:

Sounds the goods. I use a FB in my smaller 50 liter kettle as you have seen, and it holds up pellets no worries. I want something sinilar in my bigger 18 gallon tub but the "grand canyon" base is prohibitive.

I have considered cutting the base out of my shorter fatter style 50 liter kettle and welding it into the base of the 18 gallon keg but then im down one kettle.

So i either need a vb type vessel to chop up of another method of screening hops and break from the chilled wort.

I remember people doing the termimesh square years back. I remember thinking it was a great idea but no idea where to get termimesh.

cheers

Tony, the termimesh is great, very rigid, close mesh, and you can box it up to a huge surface area if you want. And as I have discovered it handles pellets very well. I've had the one boxed screen in my boiler for years now and it is still as good and solid as when I made it.

Andrew

Same stuff Pete, I have just formed it into a box shape that is riveted at the sides. I've had 200g of plugs in there with no ill effect and 100g pellets so far with no ill effect. It's pretty rigid.

Andrew

Thanks for your reply Andrew & thanks for the pics & explanation kram. :icon_cheers:

I want to make something similar to what you have both done that will sit in the centre of my kettle & inside the immersion chiller. The only problem I might have is that my Termimesh may be too fine (If you recall Andrew? ---- Pic below) but I'll give it a go anyway.
So you riveted yours Andrew? I wondered what those black spots were. :)

Img_0115.jpg

TP :beer:

Definatly looks like an option.

I have a small concern though.

I have used a small courser SS mesh FB in the 18 gallon keg that sits in the round part in the center of the base and it works well with flowers but cloggs with pellets (small surpace area) and the break thats formed under the mesh gets trapped and temds to burn on the bottom of the kettle where the burner is heating it. This is not a good thing so i have removed this from the kettle now to stop the burning.

Thinking about it, the terminesh square would not trap anything underneath so should be fine

Schooey.......... i will swap you some mesh of a couple of 2"dia foot long 316 ss rollers :)

Here are some flowers for a change :lol: !

Yesterdays brew with combination of Pacific Gem, Southern Cross, Green Bullet and NZ Styrian Goldings.

C&B
TDA

Edit: corrupted bloody picture, will repost tonight!

Not the best pic but the FB did a perfect job of filtering out 210g of pellets. It even made a loud pop as I was pumping out the last litre of wort into the fermenter, which Im guessing was from the pellets forming such a good seal that the pump caused a vacuum under the FB and then the seal from the hops broke. It was also nearly impossible to scrape the pellets off the FB, I needed to remove the FB and blast them with the hose from the other side.

IMG_2457.JPG

Not the best pic but the FB did a perfect job of filtering out 210g of pellets. It even made a loud pop as I was pumping out the last litre of wort into the fermenter, which Im guessing was from the pellets forming such a good seal that the pump caused a vacuum under the FB and then the seal from the hops broke. It was also nearly impossible to scrape the pellets off the FB, I needed to remove the FB and blast them with the hose from the other side.

View attachment 21669

Hi Jye,
I give my S/S FB (& kettle) a regular clean with warm caustic & a scrubbing brush.
Amazing how much is hidden inside the perforations.

Pete

I really liked the idea of the termimesh filter but the closest I could get was a couple of tea strainers from Woolworths. Total cost $4.26.

I ripped them apart for the mesh and then pop rivetted them together (fabulous idea) leaving space for the pick up tube and then just slipped it over the tube. It held firm though I could easily hold in place with a hose clamp.

IMG_2905.JPG

Used in anger on the wit I brewed on the weekend, had a light load of halltertau pellets but it kept out the orange peel, coriander and chammomile, so now I'm going to have very clear wit :angry: . ;)

IMG_2912.JPG

cheers

grant

Hi Jye,
I give my S/S FB (& kettle) a regular clean with warm caustic & a scrubbing brush.
Amazing how much is hidden inside the perforations.

Pete

Yep, I will be doing the same but by recirculating PBW through my kettle.

Flavor hops at 15 min

FlavourhpsMedium.jpg

Aroma hops at 5 min. Wanted to give them a bit of a boil to try and clear the beer. last one was hazy from the hops.

AromaHopsMedium.jpg

End of the boil..... just turning on the cooling water at this point. Hop Soup!

endofboilMedium.jpg

Chilled it and the break that usually settles on the bottom settled on the hops......... 2 inched below the surface of 46 liters

chilledikettelMedium.jpg

Began draining it......... there is still 35 liters left in there at that point! :eek:

beginningofdrainMedium.jpg

25 liters remaiming

halfdrainedMedium.jpg

I got 45 liters @ 1.068...... was aimimg for 46 liters so very happy. The hops held a liter back/

here are a couple of pics showing the hops in the bottom of the kettle. 6 to 8 inched deep.......... slightly deeper than a Schooner glass! I got bugger all break in the kettle alse. VEry happy with the brew day!

cheers

hiosinkettleMedium.jpg

hopsinkettelcloseMedium.jpg

Nice work Tony,
What was the recipe? and, What was your final IBU?

Golden Fleece IPA

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 46.00 Wort Size (L): 46.00
Total Grain (kg): 12.50
Anticipated OG: 1.068 Plato: 16.54
Anticipated EBC: 17.3
Anticipated IBU: 79.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
44.0 5.50 kg. IMC Pilsner Australia 1.038 3
40.0 5.00 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 5
8.0 1.00 kg. Weyermann Munich II Germany 1.038 26
4.0 0.50 kg. TF Pale Crystal UK 1.034 100
4.0 0.50 kg. Weyermann Carared Germany 1.036 48

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50.00 g. Sothern Cross Whole 15.90 34.3 40 min.
30.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 6.80 5.0 15 min.
30.00 g. Nelson Sauvin Whole 11.90 8.7 15 min.
30.00 g. Pacific Hallertau Whole 6.90 5.1 15 min.
20.00 g. Sothern Cross Whole 15.90 7.8 15 min.
60.00 g. B-Saaz Whole 6.80 4.0 5 min.
60.00 g. Nelson Sauvin Whole 11.90 7.0 5 min.
60.00 g. Pacific Hallertau Whole 6.90 4.1 5 min.
20.00 g. Sothern Cross Whole 15.90 3.1 5 min.

Yeast
-----

US-05

Aroma hops at 5 min. Wanted to give them a bit of a boil to try and clear the beer. last one was hazy from the hops.

Tony Ive got a feeling its still going to have a haze with all those hops... dont fear the hop haze :icon_drool2: :D

Back