Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suffer in ya jocks lads. It's stainless and its sexy. Sorry it's not in plumbing pipe. Overkill. Not as far as my wife knows.

New brew-rig. Pump and rims stick keep the mash recirculated and temp steady.

High pressure burner for the boil.

Pretty simple and effective.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394941968.334676.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394941982.448752.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1394942003.168862.jpg

Started brewing around August last year. Did one kit and then about 10 extracts.

This is my new 3v system with pump and whirlpool set up. Apologies for the garage related mess, I was a bit excited.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1395451977.952512.jpg

Re-rigged it today, did a test boil, small leak from the all thread going into the ball valve. I'll eventually do something about it.

More importantly, I measured the dead space with the pickup - going into a plate chiller under gravity/siphon. 1L.

Thought I could bring that down so crimped the pickup tube with some multi grips and now the hole is smaller and right down to the bottom. See how it goes. Will be using a pump in the brew so should be even better.

Also tinkered, hooked up the new march pump with centre inlet, put an inline flow restrictor on it.. Damn they hum.. Will be sure to know it's running from a distance :)

post-13525-0-69123900-1395487993.jpg

Ed: Rotated picce to save neck injuries

New_guy said:
Hi Hughman666,
Is that frame from the big green shed? Looks a tidy setup - wheels come standard or did you add them?
Yeah it it's mate... I have the same one uploadfromtaptalk1395554070431.jpg

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Wheels come in a pack of 2. Rack it shelving

Yeah, I'm gonna grind that pickup back a little to make it face down more and be a little bigger. Flow was rather slow with so much restriction. The pump was managing to recirc it fairly well, I might eventually add legs to the basket to raise it a bit more. Maybe... This was my first ever double batch and I missed the volume big time but was on target or so with the gravity (pre-sparge gravity was too high for my refractometer to measure 20 Brix max). That was 10 kilo of pale malt in one go and the basket was about 3/4 full.

I have a feeling it would be a good idea to get a separate kettle to control volume better.

SimoB said:
Wheels come in a pack of 2. Rack it shelving

How do the wheels go? can they handle the weight when kettle full??

Yob said:
Also tinkered, hooked up the new march pump with centre inlet, put an inline flow restrictor on it.. Damn they hum.. Will be sure to know it's running from a distance :)

attachicon.gif
DSC_0350.JPG
Just a heads up

I bought a pump from Gryphon (struggling to remember the name of it) & while it's not a March pump it's a very similar design.
I mounted it the same way as in your pic & it was loud as all hell. Posted a video on here & everyone said it was way louder than it should be. 2 brews in & it was completely farked.
Turns out they're not supposed to be mounted vertically & I had wrecked it.
I could hear it pumping from the other end of the house when mounted vertically. The replacement pump now just hums very quietly.
Hopefully yours is designed to be mounted that way, but I'd check to be sure

Edit: the pump I have is called an Ultimiser, check the Gryphon website to see the design

That's interesting. I've never mounted mine that way since I still brew with the kettle on the burner stand on the ground. Why would a magnetic pump be noisy with the impeller sitting on its axis? Looks like Yob's got a chugger.

I was a bit stumped myself, was using little brown pumps until I bought the Ultimiser. First brew in & it was REALLY loud, that's why I posted a video so I could get other opinions.
Nev sent me a message & said they're not designed to be mounted that way
Chugger might be different, just thought I'd pass on my own experience with a similar pump

Keen to know how others mount theirs... Mines a March 809..

@ PF, Ive got a chugger head on it.

Im sure Ive seen many pics with March Pumps mounted as mine :unsure: :blink:

Will be a prick to mount horizontally in my stand... If I have to do it that way that is.

Info appreciated

That's interesting yob. Did the chugger head just slot straight in? With the depth of the head and mounting screws etc?

I ask since I've got a march model mdx pump/fasco motor combo with a head that isn't brewing rated and more annoying the inlet and outlet are actually set up for thin hose + hose clamps, not threaded. Was ogling the chugger heads but not sure it'd fit the march pump.... The size of my pump is the same as any march brewing pump.

Yob said:
Keen to know how others mount theirs... Mines a March 809..

@ PF, Ive got a chugger head on it.

Im sure Ive seen many pics with March Pumps mounted as mine :unsure: :blink:

Will be a prick to mount horizontally in my stand... If I have to do it that way that is.

Info appreciated
It could be worth testing with the outlet at a higher point of gravity than the inlet and seeing if that decreases the noise / performance. You could just test it without mounting it.

Similar to pictured:
89-PL-HS-C.jpg

Cheers,
Idzy

Yep head just screwed right on, 2 min job to swap heads.

I don't really care if it makes noise..it's a brew shed right? ;) just don't want it to blow up mid brew on swap day.. Which it bloody will if everything isn't right.

I thought march pumps were known for being noisy anyway?

Ed, I ran water through it last night and had a hell of a flow rate

Yob said:
Yep head just screwed right on, 2 min job to swap heads.

I don't really care if it makes noise..it's a brew shed right? ;) just don't want it to blow up mid brew on swap day.. Which it bloody will if everything isn't right.

I thought march pumps were known for being noisy anyway?

Ed, I ran water through it last night and had a hell of a flow rate
Might be worth changing:
1. The Pump should be mounted horizontally on a foundation and secured by Anchor Bolts.
http://www.marchpump.com/reference/
http://www.marchpump.com/site/files/966/110094/376709/629697/0750-0404-1000_R6.pdf

EDIT: The reason for my meddling curiosity/comments is that I am about to mount a new one myself :)

Yob,

I run a chugger and found I thought it was noisy at the start..... a few brews in rested my foot up on the stand to do something and the noise dropped by half.

I have also run a March and they are noisy but there is every chance it is generating a vibration through your stand also.... In the end, I took 4 old airlock o-rings and put them between the pump mount and stand, dropped the noise by about 1/3.

Just a thought.

Back