Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edak said:
The trick is not to tally it up, keep no record of it and nobody will ever know, especially SWMBO, etc. :beerbang:
Haha it's all worth it when you look at how much a carton of beer is these days! Pays for itself within a few batches really.. And it's a hobby, why work to die unhappy!

Tahoose said:
Coops is that a $2 funnel from Kmart, I have one exactly like it and I reckon it's probably the most useful thing in my brew kit
I think it came from bunnings, it's a bit small as a hopper but it will suffice until I get my hands on a water cooler bottle.

CoopsOz said:
I think it came from bunnings, it's a bit small as a hopper but it will suffice until I get my hands on a water cooler bottle.
Stick with the funnel instead of a water cooler bottle. Why?
IMO if you get a blockage or the power fails or whatever you don't have a large amount of grain in a large hopper to rescue,lifting the funnel off the the mill would be easier as it has a smaller outlet and easier to put your finger over and not spilling precious grain.
Maybe making a hopper with a sliding flow restricter / gate would be an option,but that depends on your ability in the workshop.
Cheers...spog....

I've just splurged and purchased an enclosure with 2 x PIDs/SSRs/PT100's etc from Auberins to upgrade my current 2 x STC1000 HERMS setup. Should also be getting a new pump (probably chugger) to upgrade one of my brown pumps for my birthday in April if the mrs isn't telling fibs..

My lordy those PIDs (and accessories) get expensive quickly, and then postage just tipped it over the edge.

Looks like I'll be working the streets for a few weeks to try and sew up this hole in my back pocket.

In saying that, I don't think working the streets is the best way to stitch up a hole in the back of a pair of pants.. :unsure:

Gotta agree with you there sponge. My shopping carts full of pids, sensors, heatsinks and the like, just holding off hitting the button. I'm pricing up cheaper alternatives when it comes to SSR's, LED's and the like as the postage and conversion rate from Auber's is giving me heartburn.

I had my shopping cart full for quite a while, and in a random act of brewing genius, I decided to give my bank account a slap around the head.

I was having a look at a few cheaper options, but decided that with this I'm just going to get it right the first time and didn't mind splurging on something that should last for many a brewing year. I've oversized at this stage so that I'll have enough current capacity for when myself and the mrs end up building our own place and I can have upgrade to a couple of 3.6/4.8kW elements if need be.

In saying that, if I had my time over I probably would've looked to split some postage with another local brewer, but my fingers were a little excited last week.

As a side note, I ordered my gear last Thursday and has it arrived at my desk this morning.

Pretty impressed by delivery time if I do say so myself as I've never had gear from the states arrive that quickly before..

Hey Gava,

If you could try and keep your retail stuff in the retail section it would be greatly appreciated. Might sound anal but for tidiness, fairness to all retailers and fairness to sponsors (who have to abide by similar rules and pay for the privilege) it's better for everyone.

Cheers.

manticle said:
Hey Gava,

If you could try and keep your retail stuff in the retail section it would be greatly appreciated. Might sound anal but for tidiness, fairness to all retailers and fairness to sponsors (who have to abide by similar rules and pay for the privilege) it's better for everyone.

Cheers.
Fair enough..

Built up a new HEX last night with a 2200w element, a custom wrapped copper coil and thermowell. I wrapped it in some Aircell 65 Insulbreak.

IMG_0747 (1280x960).jpg

BlueMutt said:
Built up a new HEX last night with a 2200w element, a custom wrapped copper coil and thermowell. I wrapped it in some Aircell 65 Insulbreak.
You'll regret using a kegking element.

Pretty sure the issues with those was sorted Wallace.....

You'll regret using a kegking element.
I have used one for distilling for some time now, which runs for up to 6hrs at a time with out dramas, yet..
If it craps itself I'll go something like a stainless version of a hot water element.
Now I'll be nervous each time I mash.

My rims setup coming together. 3000w element. Starting to think I may have this finished by the end of the year. With a little luck.
DSC00531.JPGDSC00533.JPGDSC00534.JPG
DSC00537.JPGDSC00538.JPGDSC00539.JPGDSC00540.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00532.JPG
    DSC00532.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 87
The finished product looks like something out of a James Bond movie,doesn't have a timer on it I hope.
Cheers...spog..

You planning to hibernate to the Himalayas with your own little power source!!!

Does the plutonium core heat the wort directly?

(Nice build. Looks similar to the dairy sock filter housing I want to turn into a torpedo.)

spog said:
The finished product looks like something out of a James Bond movie,doesn't have a timer on it I hope.
Cheers...spog..
was thinking the same thing..... should put a MASH count down timer on it to look like a bomb.

-gav

Back