Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noisy was probably the wrong description, humming is more apt... But noisy compared to the 24v silent LBP that's for sure

Well I've brewed on my new system so I guess its a BrewRig now so I'll put it in the old Brew Rig thread.. think I have a few in here by now..

Rig Size : 75lt
Power Consumption : 20amps
Elements : 2 x 4800watt (one on at a time)
Controlled : PIDS + Manual
Dual Pump

IMG_9655.JPG

-Gav

Finally re-configured the brewhouse with my new wort return manifold

40lt esky, March pump and HERM-IT setup

The wort returns from the HERM-IT through a hole in the side of the esky. I had a mate of a mate make me up a S/S plate, and silicone 401'ed it in place. It's pretty stable

From the inside

Continuing on

The wort return in place. Yes, indeed, that is a shower head arm you see. It's fully adjustable up and down, so I can place it just above the height of the mash

Shower arm is connected to a cam-lock, which hold the whole thing in place

To swap from recirc to sparging, I've only got to move one hose from the HERM-IT setup over to the HLT, and adjust the flow rate.

Hope my setup helps those thinking of doing something similar. Initial test produced beautiful, clear wort into the fermenter. Then I just run some PBW or Sodium Perc through it to clean.

Last warning, don't run the HERM-IT up to 90 degrees, thinking you'll get better cleaning from hotter water. All you end up with is a wonky looking HERM-IT casing from the moulded PVC :unsure:

Look Killer SF!

From my understanding it is not recommended to run a pump like that, other way up is fine but head facing down is a no no, from what I have read...

gava said:
Well I've brewed on my new system so I guess its a BrewRig now so I'll put it in the old Brew Rig thread.. think I have a few in here by now..

Rig Size : 75lt
Power Consumption : 20amps
Elements : 2 x 4800watt (one on at a time)
Controlled : PIDS + Manual
Dual Pump

-Gav
Gav, that is a sweet looking setup. I still can't get over the hard-plumbed water lines. So jealous. You might as well take the wheels off that beauty. Looks like it has found its home.

I've been looking at your hoses and both pumps appear to be terminating in the same pot. What's going on there?

Cocko said:
Look Killer SF!

From my understanding it is not recommended to run a pump like that, other way up is fine but head facing down is a no no, from what I have read...
Thanks, Cocko.

Yeah, I'd read something saying the same on here, but have a tendency not to believe what I read on the internets. Call me cynical for some reason?

I'll try mounting it with the motor shaft horizontal, probably just strapped to the shelf initially. Only cause you said so ;)

Ha!

It mentions it on the Chugger FOQ's video too.... He says you can go vertical, just not head down.

That MT looks awesome mate!

mb-squared said:
Gav, that is a sweet looking setup. I still can't get over the hard-plumbed water lines. So jealous. You might as well take the wheels off that beauty. Looks like it has found its home.

I've been looking at your hoses and both pumps appear to be terminating in the same pot. What's going on there?
It is good plumbing up the water and chiller, chiller more so.. They leak a touch so I still have them turned off at the wall and just turn them on for brew days but so much easier.
when im chilling its great, no getting hose hooking it up bla bla, I just flick a switch and it starts to chill. assuming i have water in my tank. Oh i didn't think about that until now. ill have to sort that out when/if it happens.

Pump config.
pump 1 is used to resirculate the HLT water to keep it uniformed throughout the pot , has my HERMS Coil

pump 2 Is resirculating the wort around my HERMS coil within the HLT.

gallery_9889_466_34150.jpg

ah, of course. funny enough, that is exactly how I run my system! in fact, it looks like we follow the same brew day process -- you just have a much sweeter looking rig :)

I am having trouble locating the coil for my herms. I really want stainless and compression fittings through the side of the pot. My rims is working great with good ramp times but I am going to use it for the hot water only because of risk of scorching. Does anyone know anywhere in Melbourne I could get some stainless steel pipe and what size is preferred for stainless. Would like to go half inch straight to a compression fitting. Just can not find the stuff anywhere.

Go to Tulla Valve in Tullamarine (I believe that's close to you also)... I picked up some awesome 316SS fittings/valves/pickup tube for my keggle for cheap, cash on Saturday is king! Some piccies of what I got for $60 below (yes it's 3/4" cos the previous keggle owner cut a large hole).

7/39 Barrie Rd, Tullamarine VIC 3043
(03) 9330 4545

gallery_15839_1147_204609.jpg

gallery_15839_1147_72478.jpg

If that doesn't work out Geordi in Cheltenham will sell 1/2" or 12mm annealed SS straight tube in up to 3m lengths I suspect. Offer to pay cash. Transporting or bending it is another matter.

I picked up a 50' roll from the states on ebay a fair while back, but note it's no longer listed, pity was a damn good buy, and I still have half of it left for other projects

This is my rig......its a wee bit different from the rigs I have seen here!

Hey Smallfry.....I also use a shower rose arm for my sparging!

1795546_10202358219975671_837148808_n.jpg

Burt de Ernie said:
This is my rig......its a wee bit different from the rigs I have seen here!
I'll say! I'd love a detailed writeup of that one. Looks ingenious.

mb-squared said:
ah, of course. funny enough, that is exactly how I run my system! in fact, it looks like we follow the same brew day process -- you just have a much sweeter looking rig :)
How big are your pots? does your HLT say 65.5c and your MLT say 65.6c? i'm doing some wet tests with roughly 1/3 of my MLT filled and I need my HLT about 3 to 4c higher than my MLT to get the correct temp. I'm going to put more water in the MLT and do further tests...

-Gav

Back