Show us your brewrig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had thought about stainless.that would be cool. Might get a quote on it in the interests of blowing tje budget on a cheap build so far.

Wondering if anyone uses a hermit setup to do the boiling as well?

I've been hemmed into a place with ZERO outside are for nearly half a year but recently scored a birko, turned out its 20l :( can't use to boil but would work as an HLT though. Hence, maybe I move soon but not knowing what I end up with I'm looking to see if anyone has first hand used a HEX to boil their wort and what was that like?

Just off the top of my head, to do that, you'd need something that boils hotter than water in the HX, like radiator fluid ( not something I'd want near my beer) or steam, which would be very cool (hot).
Anyone ever managed to use steam on a HB scale?

Hmnnnn. Sounds like I might have to use an ots element. I had that thought about the fluid but hoped someone had worked out something. Some readily available additive perhaps that works with a cheap high density element.
Else, I suppose a rims might work. (Watch cocko get excited)

Cant see it working, myself.

But RIMS are known for being the best possible HX available and produce the best possible wort. Ever.

Ever.

brew rig build 1.jpg
My brew rig coming along. Needs paint and then the drilling of pots and plumbing starts.anyone have any sources for stainless coil for the hlt.

edit: fixed upside down pic

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1391752275.757593.jpg

First brew on the new stand. Should work pretty nicely if we ever decide to upgrade to a 2/3v system.

djar007 said:
attachicon.gif
brew rig build 1.jpg
My brew rig coming along. Needs paint and then the drilling of pots and plumbing starts.anyone have any sources for stainless coil for the hlt.

edit: fixed upside down pic
looking good.. I recommend castors like mine..

3 years on still loving my gravity rig....33L HLT, 33L mash, 60 L kettle, turkey burners under each, and a gas manifold so they all run off one gas bottle.

Can knock out 46L in 4hrs or 2 x 46L in about 6 hrs. No pumps, no electric.

Wanted a Blichmann but a bit expensive so made my own version..trying to upload a piccie

If i did it agian i'd have a bigger mash tun and HLT, as above 10kg grain (5.5% beers), i have to reduce the batch size or the efficiency drops right off

P1060207.JPG

Still set up Ghetto style for the moment on the old welding stand, but I had the first run with some new gear yesterday, hit all the targets, 110ltrs chilled and into the fermenters.
150ltr Kettle.
88ltr Mash tun.
All stainless valves and fittings on the pots.
Keg King HP burner, which idles along to boil 100 plus ltrs.
New HLT on the way.
New HERMS under construction with a 2200w Keg King element.
A few lengths of 40x40 steel, castors and a stainless folded bench top are the next purchase for the stand. Which will be built in two halves and bolted together so It can be transported.
I will also run an continuous flow hot water mounted of one end of the frame, so its a matter of just plug your water into the filter and you have everything controlled via valves. Including a hot wash down hose.
Will post updates shortly.

IMG_0709 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0710 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0711 (1024x768).jpg

Finished my brew stand on the weekend, not near as nice as most in this thread but it's solid and has enough space built it for upgrading the kettles/mash tun.

DOReJNV.jpg

Nice one. I hid my welding with some high temp paint I got from the local market.Three cans for 5 bucks. So I bought six. Just in case. Anyway, looking to get some pumps.Cant decide on which ones I want yet. Like the chuggers and love the march pumps. I have a kaixin and for the price they are awesome. Was going to hard plumb it all but as suggested will use silicon hose and hard plumb as I work out where I am happy with everything. Total build cost so far has been

$129.00 for the steel.
$5 Paint.
$18 castors from Bunnings.
$160 each for the two 95 litre pots.
$ 600 for the Blichmann MT ( worth it imo)
2014-02-09 15.57.39.jpg2014-02-09 18.53.12.jpg2014-02-09 19.29.04.jpg
2014-02-09 15.57.51.jpg2014-02-09 15.57.47.jpg

djar007 said:
Nice one. I hid my welding with some high temp paint I got from the local market.Three cans for 5 bucks. So I bought six. Just in case. Anyway, looking to get some pumps.Cant decide on which ones I want yet. Like the chuggers and love the march pumps. I have a kaixin and for the price they are awesome. Was going to hard plumb it all but as suggested will use silicon hose and hard plumb as I work out where I am happy with everything. Total build cost so far has been

Yeah, I'll grind back the welds and paint soon, that's purely cosmetic at this point so it can wait, I've got some brewing to catch up on first.

Just need to find a medium or high pressure reg for the burner under the boil kettle stand and I'll be happy for a while.

Donske said:
Yeah, I'll grind back the welds and paint soon, that's purely cosmetic at this point so it can wait, I've got some brewing to catch up on first.

Just need to find a medium or high pressure reg for the burner under the boil kettle stand and I'll be happy for a while.
I have just had the first run with the Keg King adjustable reg and it was perfect, just dial the pressure you want. At under $30 with a 1500mm braided hose its an easy decision for the HLT set up I'm doing next.

Hey all, got a new hems rig. Thought I should post it in the right spot.

uploadfromtaptalk1392524751096.jpg

IMAG0153.jpg

View attachment 68799

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

Still waiting for another set of castor wheels... 1 side is currently jacked up by timber..

Will get a control box with PIDs at some stage just using STC at the moment.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I'm in the process of upgrading from a BIAB setup to a 3v. I've got the electric keggle HLT with STC, false bottom keggle for mash tun and 98 litre beer belly kettle fired by a turkey fryer. Still need to build a stand and buy some pumps but it is getting there. I'd hate to think how many dollars you blokes have got in your setups because tallying mine up so far is a bit of a shock.
4fe5db67c8cf4b1f42d5dd7b2a08b2b4_zps70e9dfdc.jpg

CoopsOz said:
I'm in the process of upgrading from a BIAB setup to a 3v. I've got the electric keggle HLT with STC, false bottom keggle for mash tun and 98 litre beer belly kettle fired by a turkey fryer. Still need to build a stand and buy some pumps but it is getting there. I'd hate to think how many dollars you blokes have got in your setups because tallying mine up so far is a bit of a shock.
4fe5db67c8cf4b1f42d5dd7b2a08b2b4_zps70e9dfdc.jpg
The trick is not to tally it up, keep no record of it and nobody will ever know, especially SWMBO, etc. :beerbang:

Coops is that a $2 funnel from Kmart, I have one exactly like it and I reckon it's probably the most useful thing in my brew kit

Latest posts

Back