Robobrew V3 vs Guten

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am happy to state that I own and use a V3 Robo.

I do single 22 ltr batches and filter the wort after mashing via transfer to my Keggle to boil and cube.I like clean wort with low trub.
I also use the keggle to heat spage water.
I then heat water and repeat in the V3 Robo and in 7 hours have two batches done.

I could most probably do this with the Guten but it was not around when I got the V3 Robo . I have done over 90 batches this way, used to boil in the Robo 20 or so batches.
But the above method I believe takes the load of the unit, and so far so good ( less than $4.00 a mash )

I also have a 4 vessel with herms , I like both systems.

To each their own

At least I admit I am biased. ABG didn't disclose he has a Brewzilla.:)
I do own a Brewzilla. I've also brewed on a Guten and on a Grainfather. The B65 is better designed, better to use as a result and is a more robustly constructed brewing system than both. My opinion comes from experience, not from watching videos, thanks WEAL. Unsurprisingly, David Heath who is a brewer, not a spruiker of products agrees. But then we're both on the KL payroll, right?

I never said you were on anyone's payroll, David Heath makes a living making videos, you don't, I agree with what WEAL says, the video makers do not go to the trouble of making a video for the profiteering of another party. As I have stated twice before READ THE POSTS OF THE PUNTERS not what a professional video maker says.

I never said you were on anyone's payroll, David Heath makes a living making videos, you don't, I agree with what WEAL says, the video makers do not go to the trouble of making a video for the profiteering of another party. As I have stated twice before READ THE POSTS OF THE PUNTERS not what a professional video maker says.
Saying it louder makes it more right, right? 'Cos sure as hell, if I'm buying a big ticket, or sophisticated product then I'm definitely going to base my purchasing decision on the opinions of some punter who has a sample size of one to base their opinion on, not someone who has objectively tested every product on the market.

Last edited:
My brother owns three Robobrews (V1 & 2x V3's) the V1 uses an external pump.
We've never had a problem brewing on any of them, always hit the gravity numbers (unless more adjuncts are used), clean up is simple as and for the price they are unreal.

NB-I don't know about the Guten (never brewed or seen one) but I'm sure they're unreal also. Can only really comment on what I've experienced and based on that would have no problems recommending them.

Ha ha, anyone who can sit through a David Heath video without falling asleep deserves to get the Brewzilla. Watching any of the payola promotions doesn't help anyone make an informed decision, better off reading the threads of actual users is the best way of making an informed decision.
Wow mate! Have you ever watched the video about those particular accusations? If you have then what you said above is close to slanderous!
I have spoken to David on many occasions and find him very knowledgeable and honest & if I was to choose who to believe him or anyone on this forum then I would pick David!
Now I know he is a great supporter of and has helped Grainfather- if you actually watched video two you would see that currently he is not a great fan. Based on the current app issues (safety related)
Now he did say why certain units didn’t make the cut, remember Guten is Karlstein etc etc in Europe. So there must be a reason! I almost pout the Guten because the SmartPid video shows one fitted to its European cousin. Now since the price point is the same, my guess is it has something to do with the heating. Afterall he did mention the insulation fitted to the Brewzilla.
And to disclose I have a modified Grainfather and a modified Digiboil and both have parts supplied by KegKing, Kegland and Cheekypeak so I have no allegiance!

I think it was providing a bit of technical advice WEAL.
And when I looked at the Guten compared to the BrewZilla, I agreed with David both assembled from off the shelf parts, in fact you could say from the same factory!
Like I said the BrewZilla has all that insulation in the base, it also has that false bottom (the one we fitted to a Grainfather!) I have a Guten pump filter ( it’s tiny)
Truth is I went with neither! I didn’t like the pump in the base idea and after the Grainfather experience I wanted something that every part could be replace on, without having to spend a fortune!
I guess you could ask him yourself

I think it was providing a bit of technical advice WEAL.
And when I looked at the Guten compared to the BrewZilla, I agreed with David both assembled from off the shelf parts, in fact you could say from the same factory!
Like I said the BrewZilla has all that insulation in the base, it also has that false bottom (the one we fitted to a Grainfather!) I have a Guten pump filter ( it’s tiny)
Truth is I went with neither! I didn’t like the pump in the base idea and after the Grainfather experience I wanted something that every part could be replace on, without having to spend a fortune!
I guess you could ask him yourself
Robobrew is almost a copy of the Guten and your right off the shelf parts, but when I checked the Guten circuit board and the Robobrew circuit board there was a world of difference.

001.JPG

Guten at the top Robobrew bottom

002.JPG

Robobrew on the left Guten on the right.
They did upgrade the circuit board and called it Robobrew 3.1, even so it is still not a patch on the circuit board on the Guten. Fleabag posted photos of the new circuit board, so if David Heath was going to do a fair dinkum review of the two units he should have had a look at the circuit boards.

I have no doubt he will be giving a glowing review of the Fermzilla, that is the whole purpose of him being sent one. $$$$$$

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-22_16-38-54.jpeg
    upload_2019-7-22_16-38-54.jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 63
Robobrew is almost a copy of the Guten and your right off the shelf parts, but when I checked the Guten circuit board and the Robobrew circuit board there was a world of difference.

View attachment 116130
Guten at the top Robobrew bottom

View attachment 116131
Robobrew on the left Guten on the right.
They did upgrade the circuit board and called it Robobrew 3.1, even so it is still not a patch on the circuit board on the Guten. Fleabag posted photos of the new circuit board, so if David Heath was going to do a fair dinkum review of the two units he should have had a look at the circuit boards.

I have no doubt he will be giving a glowing review of the Fermzilla, that is the whole purpose of him being sent one. $$$$$$

Does what they look like change how they operate?

Does what they look like change how they operate?
Certainly did, that is why they sent out new screens and circuit boards. You may not be able to see it in the picture of the back of the circuit board but the copper strips should be covered in solder to stop them oxidising there were patches which had not been covered.

Normally the copper and solder is covered with resin to stop it oxidising

WEAL, I appreciate that you have a view of the Kegland product vs Guten. You may have noticed I don’t accuse anyone being in the pocket of one or the other. I do know that David had some strong views re the Grainfather and it’s latest software update. I still believe that his reviews are honest and if he says he is not being paid - I believe him!
Yes the Brewzilla has a thinner metal to the Grainfather. I have read the reports of broken spot welds on Brewzilla - I actually have broken the spot welds on the brackets of my Grainfather.
Like I said I seriously looked at the Guten as my SmartPid experiment but at the time it was only as a new boiler for my Grainfather! Now of course it morphed a bit! I like Cheekypeak’s add on NANO system for the Grainfather/Guten/Brewzilla and since there maybe some new bits on their way as well. I think in retrospect I should have bought that system instead! And in the future I might!
I guess what I’m trying to say is KL had the parts, Kegking doesn’t have lots of Guten parts on line ( I have to get everything on line) and what I have I’m happy with! Mind you my backup RIMS came from Kegking and my heaters from Cheekypeak (which I may have already said) so I’m not biased!
Anyway I guess I’ve expressed my views and I find it sad that some on this forum play the man not the ball. I am glad however that you have put some info up to support why you think one is better than the other.
Cheers

This my home built mash together of parts and my heavily modified Grainfather - just in case you didn’t see the photos on FB

Attachments

• 4A8F00ED-A2A9-48CB-8B63-8DE6405E375F.jpeg
    4A8F00ED-A2A9-48CB-8B63-8DE6405E375F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 183
  • 8F3DB547-0419-4C91-8F95-123B25AD5F63.jpeg
    8F3DB547-0419-4C91-8F95-123B25AD5F63.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 184
Kenf I really think the Brewzilla v Guten has been done to death, the circuit board on the Brewzilla has been upgraded, which circuit board is going to stand the test of time remains to be seen.
As for David Heath if he came out and declared he was being paid for his reviews, which I believe he is, as I mentioned he has a Fermzilla to review before they are even out. My way of thinking is surely no one can be that naive, but of course people are. They are the best punters, they keep the money moving. I always think of them as chickens and declaring what a great guy that Colonel Sanders is.

The Guten has a fuse, the Robobrew doesnt.

Well WEAL, I agree with your first statement - I think both systems have good and bad points and both systems have points I don’t like. That’s why I built my own! But I have to admit the new bottom plate for the Guten is impressive! And I like the Whirlpool attachment ideas!
I disagree with your second, but next time we chat I will ask! I don’t like being described as naive, but like I said name calling and playing the man seems to be part of the form on this website. For your information not everything he says I agree with and we have had some good discussions on that! Also despite his recent overview - not review of the Fermzilla, I won’t be purchasing one because it seems to takes up a lot of space, seems fragile and I like stainless!
That’s my industrial background coming out! Same as seperate pumps, valves everywhere etc.
Anyway I guess you are correct! As long as everyone’s mates in the home brew industry are turning a profit and the factories in China are turning out the gear it doesn’t matter really does it?
Who cares if someone from Norway doesn’t think a product from China is the best in category?
Afterall it’s only one mans opinion isn’t it?
Cheers

I brought a Guten 12 months ago. First 10 brews went fine then the unit started cutting out, powering down for 15-30 seconds at a time. This started happening when the unit was trying to heat beyond a 50c protein rest. Freaking annoying!!! I reported it to Keg King and they just said they would need to test it with water.. Sadly it only does it when mashing, so nothing got resolved. I managed to pull off a fe more brews as it was intermittant, then the cutting out bacame permient. Sadly there badly designed and what is worse, Keg King are completely useless and wouldnt help. The unit remains broken, so saving up for a Braumeister 50l plus :-D. I will NEVER buy anything from Keg King ever again, simply becaue they are agrogent when it comes to helping and can't be bothered.

In contrast, i had a small problem with a kegarator fridge from Keg Land and soon as I rang them with the problem, Keg Land dispatched out a spare part and I got the unit going. Keg Land ROCKS for support and also their products. Keg King just doesn't even get close. Regards, James

I am looking at whether to buy a Guten, stick with my old 3 vessel brewery, or go with a robobrew....

Now that this thread has run for a while, I am wondering whether the Guten owners are still happy with their purchase?

Back