Robobrew V3 vs Guten

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up my Guten last night and looking forward to trying it out over easter. I see some of you are using the helix coil instead of the bazooka. But if we are using the hop spider is the helix coil really necessary?
Lucky getting a Guten at that price, I have had mine for over 2 years now, so the older model, and done plenty of brews, I no chill so for me the helix works great, there are a few on this forum who state that the helix is fine for no chill but if chilled then it has issues.

Must be down to the grain bill or amount of hops added in the kettle, since those will increase kettle trub. We've not had a problem yet chilling and using the helix.

Must be down to the grain bill or amount of hops added in the kettle, since those will increase kettle trub. We've not had a problem yet chilling and using the helix.
It isn't the hops that is the problem it is the break material, maybe it is the coagulating from the whirlfloc but it definitely clogs the helix. I have made a bazooka reducing from 20mm to 12 mm then reducing that again to 8 mm. Whirlpool and get a clear run of wort into the fermenter, what is left in the kettle I pour into a jug and let that settle out before adding to the fermenter boiling first to be safe.

Lucky getting a Guten at that price, I have had mine for over 2 years now, so the older model, and done plenty of brews, I no chill so for me the helix works great, there are a few on this forum who state that the helix is fine for no chill but if chilled then it has issues.
How do you know what price I got it for?? lol

Ok looks like I need to get a helix coil then. cheers

Kegland has rebranded the Robobrew to Brewzilla and is now selling 35 and 65 litre units with Brewzilla badging.

Yes that's right. The BrewZilla units are beefed up in several ways. So all the new BrewZilla units have been upgraded. The circuit boards, stainless thickness, watt density of the elements is better and some other subtle differences to make the unit more usable.

We still strongly believe that the false bottom in the boiler in the BrewZilla is the best way to avoid blockages when large amounts of hops are used. You can find other solutions such as hop socks and spiders but the false bottom allows you the ability get better hop extraction while still greatly reducing the chance of clogging your pump.

I have been in Melbourne since Wednesday for a conference, I called in at Keg King to pick up some gear and Trong Nguyen (an inventor) was giving a demonstration on brewing on one of his 15 litre units. I was so impressed I stayed and watched the whole thing. We were drinking beer on Saturday which the yeast had been pitched the Monday prior! The unit is all good quality stainless steel, the mash, boil and ferment are all done in the same 15 litre vessel ( a custom made pressure cooker) they are $290 US for the 15 litre complete with a Spundit, spunding valve, floating dip tubes, thermowell, thermometer, and gas and liquid posts.

I just signed up to AHB as I'm super interested in this all in one system. I couldn't message you directly for some reason so just wanted to ask for some more info if possible. Was he selling these units in store yet or do you know where we could pick up one? Also were there any noticeable negatives to using this system that were mentioned? I'm thinking of potential blockages in the dispensing side of things if the trub/yeast/hops stays in the pot when dispensing, cheers

Yes that's right. The BrewZilla units are beefed up in several ways. So all the new BrewZilla units have been upgraded. The circuit boards, stainless thickness, watt density of the elements is better and some other subtle differences to make the unit more usable.

We still strongly believe that the false bottom in the boiler in the BrewZilla is the best way to avoid blockages when large amounts of hops are used. You can find other solutions such as hop socks and spiders but the false bottom allows you the ability get better hop extraction while still greatly reducing the chance of clogging your pump.
Seems to be getting some bad publicity on Facebook last night, why are you getting circuit boards and build so wrong?

I just signed up to AHB as I'm super interested in this all in one system. I couldn't message you directly for some reason so just wanted to ask for some more info if possible. Was he selling these units in store yet or do you know where we could pick up one? Also were there any noticeable negatives to using this system that were mentioned? I'm thinking of potential blockages in the dispensing side of things if the trub/yeast/hops stays in the pot when dispensing, cheers
I am not sure Joshed I would imagine that Keg King would have organised the visit for a reason, either to market the units or the spunding valve. The floating pick up was an ingenious set up, so no the trub and hops stayed on the bottom the beer was not super clear but given a couple more days would have cleared up. Anyone short of space like an apartment or flat they would be ideal.

Interesting round up on David Heath's Youtube channel of the best brewing systems on the market as of July 2019. Congrats to @Kegland for getting the gong for best mid price and best entry level system with the Brewzilla 65 and R3 respectively. I'm absolutely certain there will be howls of outrage and protest from the usual suspects. I reckon it's worth keeping in mind that David is a) a Master Brewer, so looks at it from a brewer's perspective and b) is half a world away geographically and has no vested interest in the whole KK v KL carry on that dominates this forum.

I would suggest that anyone who is in the market for an all in one brewing system watch the video and make an informed decision.

Ha ha, anyone who can sit through a David Heath video without falling asleep deserves to get the Brewzilla. Watching any of the payola promotions doesn't help anyone make an informed decision, better off reading the threads of actual users is the best way of making an informed decision.

Ha ha, anyone who can sit through a David Heath video without falling asleep deserves to get the Brewzilla. Watching any of the payola promotions doesn't help anyone make an informed decision, better off reading the threads of actual users is the best way of making an informed decision.
I'm absolutely certain there will be howls of outrage and protest from the usual suspects.
Didn't take long... Anyone suggesting David Heath is taking payment for his reviews clearly doesn't know him. But of course in your world anyone who has the temerity to say that the Brewzilla is better than the Guten is clearly on the KL payroll. o_O

You are right on one front however, David's voice can be a little, erm soporific. An easy fix is to go into Youtube settings and change the playback speed to 1.5 times. Bingo, he's sounding a little more interesting. Even at normal speed, his videos are worth watching - they're among the best produced and most informative brewing vids on the chewbs.

Didn't take long... Anyone suggesting David Heath is taking payment for his reviews clearly doesn't know him. But of course in your world anyone who has the temerity to say that the Brewzilla is better than the Guten is clearly on the KL payroll. o_O

You are right on one front however, David's voice can be a little, erm soporific. An easy fix is to go into Youtube settings and change the playback speed to 1.5 times. Bingo, he's sounding a little more interesting. Even at normal speed, his videos are worth watching - they're among the best produced and most informative brewing vids on the chewbs.
Yes I have 2 Guten and I am biased, of course he is paid, he is never going to admit it it, the best review I read was about the Robobrew 3. An American, he stated that he was given it free of charge to give a review after 7 brews his circuit board shit it self his final sentence was don't buy a Robobrew. Just take into account what the punters say and you can't go to far wrong. Listening to bozo's like Gash Slug and others who are given free merchandise is no accreditation of a product.
Though I must say on this forum there are only 69 replies on the Brewzilla thread and 1,535 on the Guten thread so Brewzilla is a bit behind the 8 ball.

I kept reading unfortunately...
- what do you mean David Heath is getting paid by Kegland? You're smoking some serious crack if you believe that.
- the Brewzillas have a 3 year warrantly so I can't say I'm too concerned about a failure in one of the older models.

I havent seen any howls of outrage from Guten owners just the usual rose coloured glasses perspective from the KL supporters, they must give them away free with every purchase. You obviously haven't been in business, someone who makes videos for a living is not going to promote something buckshee. As an ex retailer wholesaler the whole object of the thousands of dollars spent on advertising is to capture the gullible. And it is supprisingly easy.

Havent watched the video yet, I really love Heath's videos, and if he's biased I wont be able to tell.
But, I have a Guten 50L. I shop at both KL and KK, and Im not biased.
My Guten is 10 months old, and I have done 13 brews, and nothing is a miss.

That is has 2 years warranty is some peace of mind.
I know, the heating element, or the pump will shit itself at some point in time, but all is good, and Im happy with my purchase.

I think K
That is has 2 years warranty is some peace of mind.
I know, the heating element, or the pump will shit itself at some point in time, but all is good, and Im happy with my purchase.
The Guten has a 3 year warranty now, point is they both do the same job, since the upgrade of the circuit board and screen of the Brewzilla there is hardly a difference. Still seems to be a lot of insecurity in the Brewzilla camp. Probably from the lack of posts and users in the Brewzilla thread.

Latest posts

Back