Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating using the link above.
  1. Brewer's Friend is having an open giveaway, ends soon, so enter now!

Click Here to Enter Now!
    Dismiss Notice

Robobrew V3 vs Guten

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by Vazerhino, 29/8/18.

1. nathanvonbeerenstein

Posted 13/9/18
    Appreciate the concern my friend but rest easy, I was running the pump full bore because the grain bed was more than happy draining every bit of it, the fluid level in my overflow pipe never dropped below the mash level, hence why I’m so stoked!
    As for the green garden hose, that touches the immersion chiller and the immersion chiller only, all my brewing water comes from the freshest kitchen taps my house has to offer :)

2. bjay

Posted 13/9/18
    No probs , I am wrapped with the guten so easy to use and clean
    Planning another brew for tommorow morning maybe a big imp stout
    Nice and settled for chrissy day

B

3. wide eyed and legless

Posted 13/9/18
    Another tip is before filling with brewing liquor put some water in take it up to 60 C add some percarbonate or perborate and recirculate for 20 minutes to dislodge any nasties that could be lurking in the pump and recirculating pipe.

Neil Buttriss likes this.
  4. Milk-lizard84

Posted 12/10/18 at 11:38 AM
    So I'm tossing up between the 2 systems. They seem pretty on par to me performance wise.
    I like the slightly extra volume of the guten so it's winning a little.

Just wondering the does the robobrews ability to adjust the malt pipe centre overflow pipe make that much difference?

This seems to be the only thing the guten system doesn't do as well. Does it make much of difference mashing?

5. TwoCrows

Posted 12/10/18 at 12:37 PM
    I have not allowed any wort to flow down the centre pipe, all the flow is thru the grain bill by throttling the pump flow. I am going to do away with the tube and fit a stainless screw into the bottom screen.

Ronwales likes this.
  6. nathanvonbeerenstein

Posted 12/10/18 at 4:40 PM
    People seem to be dismissing the overflow pipe and forgetting what it is intended for: a security measure. It ensures that if your mash happens to get ‘stuck’ and the wort no longer drains through the grain, that the wort being pumped into the top of the mash has somewhere to go and your element won’t be run dry. I’ve had mash’s decide to suddenly stick half way through a mash, as have others, and it’s nice to know that if it ever happens again I won’t come back to a mess or worse. By removing it you gain little and lose a lot imho!

In answer to the original question and having used both, I personally wouldn’t say it’s been an issue for me. The guten’s is technically adjustable to 3 lengths which is sufficient. The adjustability comes at a price with the RB3, it’s overflow pipe is smaller, flimsier and insecure. Others have reported it coming off while stirring the mash and I certainly came close too ! It wobbles around and was pretty hard to adjust once full anyway.

7. goatchop41

Posted 12/10/18 at 11:45 PM
    I think that a lot of people don't get this. They see all of the pieces and then just screw 'em all together. You do have to have a relatively thick mash if you want to use just the long pipe on an average batch size, but it is perfect for low gravity batches with a normal mash thickness

8. altone

Kept man
    Posted 13/10/18 at 2:09 AM
    Yes I think the 3 lengths for the centre pipe are sufficient and the fact that the Guten times steps from when it reaches temp
    rather from the end of the last step (which the Robo2 did and I think the 3 does too)
    made it the choice for me

9. wide eyed and legless

Posted 13/10/18 at 2:21 AM
    For me an improvement would be 4 more little tabs on the malt pipe an 25 to 40 millimeter from the top, just allows more brewing liquor into the mash.