Recipedb - Coopers Pale Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andrew , Well I bottled last week , both beers were in fermenter for 2 weeks it was still fermenting I know it took a while but that's fine , then racked for a week also the coopers went down to 1005 so happy with that the Bosun went down to 1012 , racked the same then bulk primed then bottled . I think I will try one today it will only be a week old in bottle but I normally try my beers at one week intavials I like tasting how it developes in the bottle over the coming weeks , let you know soon how they turn out
Cheers Phil :icon_chickcheers:

Brewed this on Monday to test out a bunch of new gear (Mill, CFC, fridgemate/fridge), also used Powels Pils also ended up mashing a little too low, so - not unexpectedly - the OG was down a fair bit.

Checked it on Friday it was down to 1.004 and the yeast had started to settle! I did use a 2L starter but at about 16-17deg, I thought it would take much longer.
It's a little hoppier (10 & 25g additions) but there is still the background banana and other usual aromas, less than a week out of the kettle I almost want drink it now (although that could be related to the lack of other beer in the house).

Andrew thinking of trying Danstar munich wheat what do you think ,I have tried it in a Heffe when it was first released but it was lacking the bannana,I think it would be similar slight bready and slight banana,just a thought what you think.

Not sure sav, but if it has that bready flavor it should be good.

Hi Andrew , Well I bottled last week , both beers were in fermenter for 2 weeks it was still fermenting I know it took a while but that's fine , then racked for a week also the coopers went down to 1005 so happy with that the Bosun went down to 1012 , racked the same then bulk primed then bottled . I think I will try one today it will only be a week old in bottle but I normally try my beers at one week intavials I like tasting how it developes in the bottle over the coming weeks , let you know soon how they turn out
Cheers Phil :icon_chickcheers:

Looking forward to the tasting comments Phil, good attenuation on the CPA, should be a good drop. The Bosuns sounds like it finished well too.

Brewed this on Monday to test out a bunch of new gear (Mill, CFC, fridgemate/fridge), also used Powels Pils also ended up mashing a little too low, so - not unexpectedly - the OG was down a fair bit.

Checked it on Friday it was down to 1.004 and the yeast had started to settle! I did use a 2L starter but at about 16-17deg, I thought it would take much longer.
It's a little hoppier (10 & 25g additions) but there is still the background banana and other usual aromas, less than a week out of the kettle I almost want drink it now (although that could be related to the lack of other beer in the house).

Again good attenuation Wolfy and the low temp will keep the banana down, I think the big starters really help with this beer.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi AndrewQLD
Well as promised I have tryed both of your beers , the Coopers & the Bosum Bitter.
The Coopers is nice with a full malt taste and surprising to get so much hop from so little , my favorite is the Bosom Bitter beautiful I'll make this one again ! :chug:
Cheers :beerbang: Phil

Haha, I have found something to brew with all the skywater that fell yesterday. Collected 100 odd liters in fermentors for beer brewing.

Looks like a winner.

What can be used instead of the dark crystal?

Dark crystal only, anything else will give a different result, I've got a little to spare, if you want me to post down the 30g required send me a pm with your address details.

Cheers
Andrew

1.5g Epsom salt - in mash
2g gypsum - in mash
1tsp table salt - in mash
1 pinch sodium met - in mash
1 tsp yeast nutrient - 10 mins

Hi,

What is the purpose of these ingredients? I assume they are there for a reason?

Heh. Thanks for that Andrew. I appreciate your generosity but I just bought some :D

Brewing this tomorrow.

What is the purpose of these ingredients? I assume they are there for a reason?
The salts are to adjust the water profile - what you add usually depends on your local water and/or the type of beer you are brewing.
Sodium met is a bacterial inhibitor and (Campden tablets) are also be used to eliminate chlorine/chloramine from brewing liquor (but I don't know why it's been included in this case).
Yeast nutrient is exactly that; additional nutrients to assist with yeast growth and fermentation.

The salts are to adjust the water profile - what you add usually depends on your local water and/or the type of beer you are brewing.
Sodium met is a bacterial inhibitor and (Campden tablets) are also be used to eliminate chlorine/chloramine from brewing liquor (but I don't know why it's been included in this case).
Yeast nutrient is exactly that; additional nutrients to assist with yeast growth and fermentation.

I think the sodium met in this case is probably used to remove oxygen from the mash to prevent HSA, it's a fairly controversial method to prevent something that may or may not be a noticeable fault, that being HSA.

Andrew

I've been thinking of a mid strength version for drinking during the week.
Aiming for 3.5%

2.75 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston)
0.15 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston)
0.03 kg Crystal Dark Bairds

22g POR @ 60min

So I adjusted everything but the Crystal Dark; Im trying to hold some sweet/caramel flavour in it. Do you think it will throw out the balance too much? Also the POR worked out to be 20g, I though I would push the malt/hop ratio a bit.

I was going to leave out the yeast nutrient since I'm starting with such a small grain bill and I want to leave something in it; but I will still aim for a mash temp of 64.5c to ensure I do get a low FG, hopefully just not too low.

What do you think?

QldKev

Worth a try Kev, hopefully it will result in a nice easy drinking mid strength with a bit of yeast backbone, I'd be keen to give it a taste.

Andrew

Although as Andrew says it will give a different result, Wheat Caramel Malt goes well in a Coopers clone. I use it in a Sparkling (as opposed to Pale Ale) version at the rate of about 60g. Gives the caramelly effect without sweetness.

Although as Andrew says it will give a different result, Wheat Caramel Malt goes well in a Coopers clone. I use it in a Sparkling (as opposed to Pale Ale) version at the rate of about 60g. Gives the caramelly effect without sweetness.

I tend to disagree, carawheat is as Bribie says quite caramelly and that is not something I'd want in a Coopers clone, far from it.
I tried this grain for the first time in my Cromwell bitter and it was very overpowering, perhaps I'm a little sensetive to diacetyl but that malt leaves a similar taste in my mouth.

Kegged tonight a beer based on this recipe. Had been chilling for almost two weeks as I waited for an empty keg.
19L into the keg. What to do with the other 2L in the fermenter? Hydrometer sample tasted good, was nice and cold... oh well three pints later it's all gone and made cleaning the fermenter a more pleasant chore.
If the carbonated beer is as good I will be very happy.
Thanks for the recipe AndrewQld and for the excellent discussion thread.
Cheers
Nige

:icon_chickcheers: Hi AndrewQLD
The Cooper's came out nice but I want to ask did your's taste a lot bitter than the bought
Coopers in the bottle , mine did but I only put in 28 g flowers for 60 mins but the bitterness was a lot bitter than I would of expected your thoughts would be appreciated , I was thinking of 28 g for 45 mins ?
Cheers Phil
p.s still drinking Bosum, lovely mmm

:icon_chickcheers: Hi AndrewQLD
The Cooper's came out nice but I want to ask did your's taste a lot bitter than the bought
Coopers in the bottle , mine did but I only put in 28 g flowers for 60 mins but the bitterness was a lot bitter than I would of expected your thoughts would be appreciated , I was thinking of 28 g for 45 mins ?
Cheers Phil
p.s still drinking Bosum, lovely mmm

What AA were your hops Phil, the recipe is based on 28g of POR at 10%AA which will give 28 ibu total, if your POR had a higher AA then it will be more bitter.

Andrew

Kegged tonight a beer based on this recipe. Had been chilling for almost two weeks as I waited for an empty keg.
19L into the keg. What to do with the other 2L in the fermenter? Hydrometer sample tasted good, was nice and cold... oh well three pints later it's all gone and made cleaning the fermenter a more pleasant chore.
If the carbonated beer is as good I will be very happy.
Thanks for the recipe AndrewQld and for the excellent discussion thread.
Cheers
Nige

Thanks Nige, hope you enjoy it as much once it's gassed, if I have extra left in the fermenter after kegging I usually bottle it and save it for a rainy day, but hell if it tastes good out of the fermenter then why not!

I'll check the AA % next time , I want to make it again as
I like Coopers oh buy the wayI bottle at the moment
Cheers Phil

Latest posts

Back