Recipedb - Coopers Pale Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had an epiphany, I had left a mouthful of my coopers clone in a glass last night, and I had a sniff this morning, the malt flavours are extremely similar to that of some bitters, like Youngs for example, it was a signature smell that I have been trying to get into my beers for a while with no luck from English yeasts, not sure why really, but it's a pain. Anywho, my coopers has also flocced out to a brilliant straw colour and left me with almost pilsener like malt flavours (doing a triple step decoction might have helped here) but what I'm getting at is that i think I'm going to brew a bitter or esb with the coopers yeast and give it some hop character, see what happens, something tells me I'm going to be pleasantly surprised.

I poured my first glass of this beer on Sunday. What a great drop. I changed the recipe by adding some fresh homegrown Hersbrucker flowers at the end and added some Marris otter to top up the base malt.

Thanks Andrew for the recipe, definately brewing this one again.

Kabooby :)

Stick it in your Ringwood
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Boil Size: 48.17 L
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 10.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 26.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.55 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)Grain 78.72 %
0.95 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5Grain 13.48 %
0.40 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 5.67 %
0.15 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 2.13 %
40.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.30 %] (60 min) Hops 24.5 IBU
35.00 gm Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
20.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Coopers Australian Ale Yeast (Coopers) Yeast-Ale

I will be making a double batch of this tonight based on Andrewqld recipe

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Coopers Clone Pale Ale
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Australian Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (48.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 46.00 L
Boil Size: 52.87 L
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 26.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)Grain 94.22 %
0.40 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBGrain 5.03 %
0.06 kg Crystal Dark Bairds (240.0 EBC) Grain 0.75 %
57.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [8.30 %] (60 min) Hops 26.3 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 7.96 kg
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
10 min Protein Rest Add 23.88 L of water at 56.1 C 50.0 C
60 min Saccharification Heat to 67.0 C over 15 min 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C

As i no chill im wondering if i should move the 60min addition to 45min like i have read to stop over bittering?? I use a hop sock aswell. Anyone out the done this recipe no chill and got some ideas for me??

Cheers

Scotsman

I've done this no chill a few times, can't really say I noticed any difference.
Just do the recipe as is, being in SA I'm pretty sure it would cool down fast anyway :p .

Andrew

No worries will do. I have made this before and loved it. Cant wait to have it on tap again!

Scotsman

Hi Andrew,

I just cracked the lid of my first attempt at the latest sugarless recipe with POR flowers instead of pellets.
WOW! what a difference, very nice.
A lot of my mates drink coopers i think they will be impressed, if i let them near it.
I no chilled and think it is fine, the way it is.
Thanks again for the recipe. :icon_cheers:

Cheers Malbur, nice to get the feedback. Good to see a second opinion regarding the no chill theory.

Andrew

I have two 20lt cubes sitting awaiting fermentation so will report back once they have been fermented.

Scotsman

Cheers Malbur, nice to get the feedback. Good to see a second opinion regarding the no chill theory.

Andrew

Im just about to put this one on, just a question:

If I wanted to add in an aroma hop to give it a nice hoppy 'kick' which of these would one suggest to use?

Cascade
Tettnanger
Hallertauer
Perle
Amarillo
Fuggles
Styrian Goldings
EGK
Sterling
Czech Saaz
PoR ...of course

.. and how much? (this is what ive got in stock)

Hmmm, none?
But if you want a hop finish I'd go EKG or Fuggles, the fuggles are really nice with the esters from the Coopers Yeast.

Andrew

Hmmm, none?
But if you want a hop finish I'd go EKG or Fuggles, the fuggles are really nice with the esters from the Coopers Yeast.

Andrew
Hi, About to go down the same path, using 25grams ROR @ 60min and 10grams EKG @ 20min. 38lt boil with 25lt in the fermenter.
I have made the the standard no sugar recipe a couple of times now, to tweak my Hybrid Herms BIAB setup, next brew session should nail a couple of issues I have had. Just feel like playing with the flavour a bit. Cheers

I did this recipe for my first AG about 2 weeks ago.
I thought I was too high for my mash temp but it's still come down to 1005!
FG sample already tastes awesome. I lowered temp today to crash chill and hopefully it should be in the keg within half a week!
Top work Andrew! I had Coopers on tap for the first time in ages the other night and then tried my FG sample the other day. My bitterness it a little higher but man!!! with your recipe and Coopers yeast it's almost exactly the same!!
I know normally clones are supposed to be very ballpark sort of comparisons but this is really very very close to the real thing!!
I'll be brewing it again for sure!!
Thanks again!

HABAHAGD! :icon_cheers:
Jono.

I did this recipe for my first AG about 2 weeks ago.
I thought I was too high for my mash temp but it's still come down to 1005!
FG sample already tastes awesome. I lowered temp today to crash chill and hopefully it should be in the keg within half a week!
Top work Andrew! I had Coopers on tap for the first time in ages the other night and then tried my FG sample the other day. My bitterness it a little higher but man!!! with your recipe and Coopers yeast it's almost exactly the same!!
I know normally clones are supposed to be very ballpark sort of comparisons but this is really very very close to the real thing!!
I'll be brewing it again for sure!!
Thanks again!

Jono.

Thanks Hefty, I appreciate the feedback and I'm glad it turned out close to the original, I think getting the FG as low as you did is one of the clinchers for getting this recipe right.

Cheers
Andrew

All you brewers adding late additions of what ever hops, it's no longer a Coopers Ale Clone. I'm sure your making nice brews but it won't be what was intended by this recipe.

Batz

Well, i finished my first keg of this the other day and it was a great beer.
I got a little more ester than the real deal but not too overpowering. Probably from slight underpitching. I might ferment one degree cooler in future to help this. It did lessen (or maybe other other things made it seem less) with a few weeks aging.
Top work AndrewQLD!

Jono.

:icon_chickcheers: Hi Andrew , just thought i'd let you know i have just made your coppers clone and also your Bosun Bitter , they both smell great , should be racking on the weekend I'll let you know how they come out
Cheers Phil :icon_cheers:

Great stuff Phil, two great styles to have on tap. The Bosuns is a fav of mine but I haven't brewed it in a while.
Looking forward to reading your results.

Andrew

Well, i finished my first keg of this the other day and it was a great beer.
I got a little more ester than the real deal but not too overpowering. Probably from slight underpitching. I might ferment one degree cooler in future to help this. It did lessen (or maybe other other things made it seem less) with a few weeks aging.
Top work AndrewQLD!

Jono.

Don't know how I missed your post Hefty, glad you enjoyed, the esters will disappear with time but your right, an underpitch can raise the levels a bit.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi andrew whacked this down in a cube today while the boy was haven a nap,I went the orig recipe cause I am getting low on grain stocks,nice easy brew to do.

I cubed it and I will get a starter going,how are the long necks for yeast or is there more in a stubbie.

I had a cpa on tap at the tavern yesterday for lunch I said thats a cheap keg filler I will get on to that.
let you know how it goes andy. :icon_cheers:

cheers SAVY.

Hi Sav, I haven't used a tallie for culturing, I usually use 2 stubbies.
Either way you should get a good starter going before you pitch, the more yeast the better.
Hope it turns out well'

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew thinking of trying Danstar munich wheat what do you think ,I have tried it in a Heffe when it was first released but it was lacking the bannana,I think it would be similar slight bready and slight banana,just a thought what you think.

Back