QLD Xmas-in-July 2017 Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would avoid using it if I were you - it has a habit of producing really flavoursome beers.

Instead you should pack it in some icepacks and send it up to me.

If that's not an option, throw it in your next porter, stout, American ale or British ale and enjoy. It attenuates a lot more than 1469/MJ's Empire, so consider that in OG and mash temp. But compared to US-05 for example, it has a similar attenuation but leaves a lot more malt - and still lets hops shine - resulting in a more balanced beer. It produces a little cherry and pear but it's subtle. Just makes very flavoursome beers where everything shines. And yeah great in anything British, but will probably attenuate too much for mild - where Windsor or 1469/Empire would be a better pick.

(talking about 1275 here - have never used the second one)

Talking here about Thames Valley II ....should probably put it in something.

upload_2017-7-18_16-43-22.jpeg

Drinking well mate, the beer not Mad Pierre.

Private Swapsies:
2) Seehuusen - I've got an ESB and a Pumpkin/Amarillo Ale...

That ESB - wow, my kind of beer! Lovely mouth feel, and lingering subdued caramel sweet aftertaste. I could easily make that my go-to brew, if you'd be kind enough to PM me the recipe?

I also enjoyed your PA. I know, I know, I didn't read your recommended "Best After" date until after the event, but you see that's what happens when you send a boy away with 2 dozen + beers. Like a bloody kid in a lolly-shop...

Anyway, I can't identify the dominant herb. Not a pumpkin taste, I don't think, but a herb I've tasted occasionally, but just can't put my finger on it. Can you put me out of my misery - please? Was it an added herb, or did it, in fact, come from pumpkin?

IMG_20170718_203320.jpg

16) Scotty Mack - Belgian Wit. Ready to drink

Good colour, good carbonation, has the zesty and spice expected. Would be awesome in summer.

Private Swapsies:
2) Seehuusen - I've got an ESB and a Pumpkin/Amarillo Ale...

That ESB - wow, my kind of beer! Lovely mouth feel, and lingering subdued caramel sweet aftertaste. I could easily make that my go-to brew, if you'd be kind enough to PM me the recipe?

I also enjoyed your PA. I know, I know, I didn't read your recommended "Best After" date until after the event, but you see that's what happens when you send a boy away with 2 dozen + beers. Like a bloody kid in a lolly-shop...

Anyway, I can't identify the dominant herb. Not a pumpkin taste, I don't think, but a herb I've tasted occasionally, but just can't put my finger on it. Can you put me out of my misery - please? Was it an added herb, or did it, in fact, come from pumpkin?

Thanks mate, will pm the esb recipe when I'm in front of my pc next. It's my 3rd attempt at a Bombardier.

As for the pumpkin ale, any sweetness detected would stem from that caramelized oven roasted pumpkin, that's what I think anyway. Then the Amarillo lends a hand to offer some fruityness, paving the way for the lime hints from the coriander seeds, backed by cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in the spice department.

I've always wanted to make one, and I'm glad I did :)

Updated beer

1) Winkle - Acerola Tarwe (Redux) - bottled 8/6/17, should be hitting its straps after 8/8/17
2) Liam - Chocolate porter brewed with carolina reapers and spices (bottled 11/7/17 - allow to carb)
3) Seehuusen - West Coast Wit (bottled 7/7/17 - Ready after 6/8/17)
4) Nickxb - Zombie Dust APA (bottled 14/7/17 - Drink NOW)
5) pcqypcqy - Mosaic Saison Psuedo Smash 7.5%ABV. READY TO DRINK
6) Luggy - Cascade rye pale ale
7) benken25 - applewood rauchbier
8) crowmanz - Tassie Wild Dark Mild: Dark Mild recipe fermented with Tasmanian Wild Yeasts Mount Field 1 (TWY024) bottle conditioned (bottled 22/06/17) READY TO DRINK
9) madpierre06 - Black Rye IPA ABV 8% (black 9; bottled 12.7.17) + Baltic Porter ABV 7.6% ( RED 9; ready 29.7.17)
10) Insensate - oatmeal stout ( bottled 14/07/2017 give it 6 weeks or so. 25/08/17)
11) Fitzlp:- Red Rye IPA
12) Fattox - cherrywood foreign extra now with more yeast character (Wyeast Thames Valley II)
13) Earle - Kettle soured red ale (bottled 21/05/2017) - READY TO DRINK
14) Aydos - Blueberry and Black Peppercorn Belgian Stout -READY TO DRINK RIGHT NOW
15) Bradsbrew- Barrel aged strong stout de garde - ready now.
17)
18)
19) evoo4u - Irish Red Ale (bottled 5/3/2017)
20) Parks - Imperial Manuka Smoked Porter (bottled 21/05/2017 READY TO DRINK)
21) Adr0
__21 BB - 7% Macadamia Bock - ready to drink from 15-Sep, would try before end October to guarantee carbonation (approaching ~5mths in the bottle)
__21 IPA - 7.2%, ~90-100IBU, hazy, extra pale black session IIPA. Could drink from 24th July but I would suggest 31st July or 7th Aug to get the head presenting properly. With the haze it's darker than it should be due to Victory, Munich II and decoction, but still nice. This had Waimea added to the decoction, a FWH of Waimea and Challenger, Challenger added every minute of the 60min boil, Chinook and Wai-iti every minute for part of the boil, flameout with Chinook and Wai-iti and was dry-hopped a few times with Waimea, Chinook, Wai-iti and a fair bit of Motueka. So I think hopped at every stage I could... induces some interesting dreams this one.
22) HBHB - Either a traditional Rauchbier or a RIS
23) Zorco - 12 month aged American Barleywine
24) Ciderman - 18 month aged UnblendedLambic. Brewed 30th January 2016 & Bottled 12th June 2017. Might need a couple of weeks as it's drinking slightly under carbed at this point.
25)
26) Cummy - mocha stout ( bottled 15/7/17 ) I suggest 6-8 weeks so anytime after 25/8/17.

Updated beer

1) Winkle - Acerola Tarwe (Redux) - bottled 8/6/17, should be hitting its straps after 8/8/17
2) Liam - Chocolate porter brewed with carolina reapers and spices (bottled 11/7/17 - allow to carb)
6) Luggy - Cascade rye pale ale. Bottled 7/7/17. Allow 3-4 weeks
8) crowmanz - Tassie Wild Dark Mild: Dark Mild recipe fermented with Tasmanian Wild Yeasts Mount Field 1 (TWY024) bottle conditioned (bottled 22/06/17) READY TO DRINK
9) madpierre06 - Black Rye IPA ABV 8% (black 9; bottled 12.7.17) + Baltic Porter ABV 7.6% ( RED 9; ready 29.7.17)
10) Insensate - oatmeal stout ( bottled 14/07/2017 give it 6 weeks or so. 25/08/17)
12) Fattox - cherrywood foreign extra now with more yeast character (Wyeast Thames Valley II)
13) Earle - Kettle soured red ale (bottled 21/05/2017) - READY TO DRINK
14) Aydos - Blueberry and Black Peppercorn Belgian Stout -READY TO DRINK RIGHT NOW
17)
18)
21) Adr0
__21 BB - 7% Macadamia Bock - ready to drink from 15-Sep, would try before end October to guarantee carbonation (approaching ~5mths in the bottle)
__21 IPA - 7.2%, ~90-100IBU, hazy, extra pale black session IIPA. Could drink from 24th July but I would suggest 31st July or 7th Aug to get the head presenting properly. With the haze it's darker than it should be due to Victory, Munich II and decoction, but still nice. This had Waimea added to the decoction, a FWH of Waimea and Challenger, Challenger added every minute of the 60min boil, Chinook and Wai-iti every minute for part of the boil, flameout with Chinook and Wai-iti and was dry-hopped a few times with Waimea, Chinook, Wai-iti and a fair bit of Motueka. So I think hopped at every stage I could... induces some interesting dreams this one.
24) Ciderman - 18 month aged UnblendedLambic. Brewed 30th January 2016 & Bottled 12th June 2017. Might need a couple of weeks as it's drinking slightly under carbed at this point.
25)
26) Cummy - mocha stout ( bottled 15/7/17 ) I suggest 6-8 weeks so anytime after 25/8/17.

13) Earle - Kettle soured red ale (bottled 21/05/2017)

Smells of cherries and red fruits. Rich malt underneath with a nice tartness. In all honesty it had quite a bit of complexity for 'not a flanders' and was very enjoyable. Mine was undercarbed and I was going to gas it up but quite enjoy the style undercarbed so enjoyed it as is.

If there was a AHB most consistent award you would win it. Great beer!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1500451936.250186.jpg

19) evoo4u - Irish Red Ale

Decided to jump on the bandwagon and try this first. It's very nice. It's not a style I know heaps about, but reading through the bjcp and you're ticking most boxes. If anything it was maybe over carbed? But settled down in the glass. It's sweet, but it has complexity to balance it, it's not just a sweet brown mess like some 'commercial' examples I've had. I'm really digging the colour too.

19) evoo4u - Irish Red Ale

Picked my replacement bottle up from the shop at lunch. Thanks Roger. Released the pressure a few times while I was chatting with the guys and then again later in the day to try to knock down the carb level. Maybe still a bit over carbed when I poured it. That aside it was a very enjoyable beer. Rich malty flavours which is how I like my red ales. Maybe not quite as dry a finish as some commercial examples but I prefer this style a little on the sweet side. Great beer.

14) Aydos - Blueberry and Black Peppercorn Belgian Stout

Purple from the blueberry showing in the black. Warmth or pepper spice on the aroma with faint blueberry. Blueberry and malt sweetness that finishes with the spice. An interesting beer.

Attachments

• IMG_20170719_193426.jpg
    IMG_20170719_193426.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
4. Nickxd zombie dust apa. Low carbonation. Stonefruit and citrus on the nose creamy mouth feel. Very enjoyable

13) Earle - Kettle soured red ale

I'm not a huge fan of sour beers, but this one had a subdued sourness which I found very pleasing. The red colour was great (better than my IRA), and it's going down well.

It presented with only slight carbonation when poured which quite quickly subsided. After 5 minutes in the glass it's showing no bubbles and no head, but is slipping down very nicely nevertheless. A nice brew to have sitting in front of the fire on a cold night...

Giving mine a test run for carbonation. It's good to go fellas!
I think I've achieved what I wanted to here. Will leave the tasting notes up to you lot. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_6606.jpg
    IMG_6606.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 131
13) Earle - Kettle soured red ale (bottled 21/05/2017)

Smells of cherries and red fruits. Rich malt underneath with a nice tartness. In all honesty it had quite a bit of complexity for 'not a flanders' and was very enjoyable. Mine was undercarbed and I was going to gas it up but quite enjoy the style undercarbed so enjoyed it as is.

If there was a AHB most consistent award you would win it. Great beer!

View attachment 107111
13) Earle - Kettle soured red ale

I'm not a huge fan of sour beers, but this one had a subdued sourness which I found very pleasing. The red colour was great (better than my IRA), and it's going down well.

It presented with only slight carbonation when poured which quite quickly subsided. After 5 minutes in the glass it's showing no bubbles and no head, but is slipping down very nicely nevertheless. A nice brew to have sitting in front of the fire on a cold night...

Cheers for the feedback. I'm a bit disappointed about the carb level given how long it has been in the bottle, and I had it in one of my fermenting fridges at 20C for about 3 weeks during that time. I did have a bottle recently and it had low carbonation but was carbonated nonetheless. I can only imagine that it's more of the low ph ******* with the yeast as happens with sours. Maybe a bit more time will improve the carbonation but best bet for everyone else might be to give it a blast with a carb cap if you have one.

Updated beer

6) Luggy - Cascade rye pale ale. Bottled 7/7/17. Allow 3-4 weeks
13) Earle - Kettle soured red ale (bottled 21/05/2017) - should be READY TO DRINK but if your bottle is a bit soft give it a blast with a carb cap or leave it
17)
18)
21) Adr0
25)

Latest posts

Back