Perth Brewday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guest Lurker said:
To follow off topic a little, I was thinking about a midwinter brew day so it could be my place in July. Why mid-winter? Cos I am thinking a stein beer might be fun and I dont fancy standing round jarrah coals in the summer! Just need to go back and read the fine print in the brewhouse insurance policy regarding exploding rocks and scalded feet before finalising.

Cool GL, I've been reading up them in that book radical brewing by Randy
Mosher. It sounds like safety boots and specs may be in order! I have a few pairs of heavy welders gloves I can bring along as well

Cheers
Ausdb

ausdb said:
Cool GL, I've been reading up them in that book radical brewing by Randy
Mosher. It sounds like safety boots and specs may be in order! I have a few pairs of heavy welders gloves I can bring along as well

Cheers
Ausdb
[post="56530"][/post]​

Excellent, welders gloves would be handy. As far as I can find out, making one is good fun but from the tasting comments (Needs a bit longer in the bottle) I think the beer pretty much tastes like shit. Anyone tasted one - I think maybe SOSman did one?

Jason, the whole point of brewing with rocks is there is no need to lift the boiler up on to the burner! If it works, I can do away with the pulley and use rocks every time!

We now return you to the original thread - brew day at Goats. Sounds like we have 2 new faces, any more Perthingtonites up for it?

I shall come along again and steal some more ideas.
BTW, Barfridge, I hope you put up your hand as well. Having witnessed the insemination of your Ruby Belgian Strong Ale, I think that it is truly fitting that you finally show off the baby, even if you consider it a couple of weeks premature.

Tony M said:
Having witnessed the insemination of your Ruby Belgian Strong Ale, I think that it is truly fitting that you finally show off the baby, even if you consider it a couple of weeks premature.
[post="56577"][/post]​

:eek:

So that was the secret ingredient! Must have happened before I got there. Thought there was a warm glow about everyone's face when I arrived.

(Might skip the tasting if you dont mind.)

Heheh, I shall certainly be attending, as will the Belgian.

Goat: consider this offer #823 for a gas bottle. And anything else you'd need.

deebee: if you let us know in advance, we can arrange to pick you up from the train station, thus minimising your potential for adventures in the norther suburbs.

Goat,

I have taken the liberty of putting this in the calendar. Presume 21 May is still the date? I will bring your sunnies and little blue cooler bag.

Barf,

Thanks for the kind offer, but I am just going to get right back on the horse and keep trying. This time I will look at a UBD before I leave.

Asher,

All is cool for a lift home.

Thanks Deebee - this brew day at least I've got half a chance of not leaving something at someone elses house ! Good idea on the calendar too - yep its still on for the 21st.

Better start thinking about a recipe I guess.... thinking of maybe even a double batch or decoction or something too - suggestions welcome !

.... thinking of maybe even a double batch or decoction or something too - suggestions welcome !

Your keen with that many drunk cooks around !
I feel like an Altbier

Thanks Deebee - Trash Mash Al's g/f is driving too.... If you need a lift there

Asher for now

Hey Goat

Have you decided what you are going to brew on the weekend?
If an alt is on the go then I can bring some WY1007 slurry I have in the fridge.
Cheers

Ausdb

Hey Goat,

Looks like I won;t be able to make it afte all. Parents in town. Have a good day and drink up.

pbrosnan - sorry to hear that. next time....

ausdb - thanks for the offer. I am leaning towards a Vienna at this stage and maybe a Marzen if time/drunkeness/desire permits. and I can only really ferment at one temp (until I partition my freezer) I'll post recipes here for comment later.

I'll PM address details to all this morning (hopefully)

Some information for the navigationally challenged - not mentioning any names...

(why do I get the feeling that I'm going to regret posting this)

map02.jpg

Maps are for cheaters. I shan't be looking at the map.

you risk missing out on some seminal brewing moments, like last time

[*Low pitched belly-chuckle very difficult to spell*]

...and I thought it was just a substantial hot break!

The following is what I'm thinking for the brewday (I think I'm asking for trouble thinking about 2 brews) and, following a similar principle, I have added the melanoidin & caraaroma in lieu of a decoction or two.

Thoughts and advice would be welcomed.

021 AHB Marzen

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.25
Anticipated OG: 1.064 Plato: 15.78
Anticipated SRM: 12.1
Anticipated IBU: 29.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
51.2 3.20 kg. Hoepfner Vienna Germany 1.038 3
43.2 2.70 kg. Weyermann Munich I Germany 1.038 8
4.0 0.25 kg. Weyermann Melanoidin Germany 1.037 36
1.6 0.10 kg. Weyermann Caraaroma Germany 1.034 178

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
22.00 g. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.80 28.7 60 min.
14.00 g. Hallertauer Tradition Plug 2.50 1.2 15 min.

Yeast
----------------
Wyeast 2633

Congratulations to Goat on hosting a very enjoyable brew day. Plent of good beer and tall stories. Interesting group facilitated discussion - "How to prime a March Pump", AusDB seemed to have the most successful approach. Excellent demonstration of the NASA burner. Plenty of mash paddle beer with nowhere to go except consumption at a brew day.

And I believe, in between cooking us lunch etc, Goat made a beer. Not sure though I didnt take much notice.

Well done Goat on an excellent brew day. I am in envy of that shed. I hope your tree is not suffering any ill effects from the fire extinguisher demo from AusDB :D The cuttlefish coated penuts were nice too , although my wife dissagreed :p

I missed the final transfer to the fermenter, what did you end up with?

Goat,

Thanks for a great afternoon. Hows that airlock looking this morning, chocked full of thick krausen no doubt that was one mighty full fermenter.
When the 9% belgian comes out before lunch, you know the afternoon is going downhill, and fast! :p

Cheers
Al.

Thanks very much Goat. You put on a mighty good show. Don't know how you coped with cooking and brewing all at once, you seemed to blur in and out of vision a lot.

God, there weren't too many beers under 6.5%. Nice to have Asher's 4.5% mash paddle as a spacer. Everything else was huge. Very seedy travelling today.

Back