5,000-year-old Chinese beer recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldon

caveat brasiator
Reaction score
Interesting discovery in China.

Scroll to the very bottom of the linked page to see comments from readers, brewers etc.

(TimT, perhaps some new ingredients to try - Job's Tears, Broomcorn Millet, Snake Gourd Root)

Cask from the past: archaeologists discover 5,000-year-old beer recipe

Nicola Davis, Guardian, Monday 23 May 2016 20.00 BST

Chinese find suggests barley was used for booze before being grown for food - and that beer could have played a role in the development of society

Chinese villagers could have been raising a pint 5,000 years ago, according to new research.

Archaeologists studying vessels unearthed in the Shaanxi province of China say they’ve uncovered beer-making equipment dating from between 3400 and 2900 BC - an era known as the late Yangshao period - and figured out the recipe to boot.

“China has an early tradition of fermentation and evidence of rice-based fermented beverage has been found from the 9000-year-old Jiahu site. However, to our knowledge, [the new discovery] is the first direct evidence of in situ beer making in China,” said Jiajing Wang of Stanford University, first author of the new research.

The team examined residues in the vessels to reveal that the brew was made from a wide range of plants, including broomcorn millet (Panicum miliaceum), Job’s tears (Coix lacryma-jobi) and barley.

The discovery marks the earliest known evidence of barley being used in China, suggesting that the crop arrived in the country around 1,000 years earlier than previously thought.

That, archaeologists add, is intriguing since it suggests that the crop might have been used for making booze before it was grown for food, and that beer could have played a role in the development of society.

“The production and consumption of Yangshao beer may have contributed to the emergence of hierarchical societies in the Central Plain, the region known as ‘the cradle of Chinese civilisation’,” the authors say.

Writing in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, researchers from the US and China describe the analysis of a collection of complete funnels and pottery fragments from the Mijiaya site in the Shaanxi province of China whose shapes and styles, indicate that they were used for different stages of beer-making, a function backed up by analysis of residues within the vessels.

Wang and her colleagues unpicked the brew’s recipe by examining these yellow residues and scrutinising the sizqe and shape of starch grains and phytoliths - tiny pieces of silica that form within plant cells.

Their analysis revealed that broomcorn millet, Job’s tears, lily, yam, barley and even snake gourd root (Trichosanthes pilosa) went into the beer. What’s more, they say, the type of damage to the starch grains, together with chemical analysis of the residues, suggests the drink was produced by methods familiar to modern brewers. “The beer was made by going through three processes, including malting, mashing, and fermentation,” said Wang.

But despite cracking the beer’s recipe, the archaeologists admit they can’t say how its flavour would measure up to a modern pint. “I really have no idea,” said Wang. “That is beyond our research methods.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/may/23/cask-from-the-past-archaeologists-discover-5000-year-old-beer-recipe

I managed to score a full copy of the paper. I'm a medieval re-enactor, specializing in Brewing, of 22 years with a large interest in Eastern and Central Asian Cooking and Brewing.

The paper has massive amounts of info and the ingredients required are a challenge. There are 7 pots with varying levels of ingredients but as an average is:

28.61% Triticeae (Barley), %23.7 C. lacryma-jobi (Job's Tears) , 28.5 P. miliaceum (Broomcorn Millet), 3% Snake Gourd Root (if used ripe, may have been a bittering agent), 0.7% Lily Bulbs (probably Lilium Brownii) and 0.6% Dioscorea (probably Dioscorea Japonica) - 5.7% "General Tuber" - 9.8% Unidentified...

Level of Barley here is so low that there is not enough diastatic potential that I'm assuming the millet was probably also malted (boy, wont that be fun).

There's a lot of crawling through Asian Grocery stores looking for random bits and pieces and then looking at all my assumptions before finally setting in on a recipe. Also a high level of oxalate present indicates potentially another ingredient... More to think about... Loads of assumptions in turning this into a working recipe.

I might do this when I get back from the USA in September - would anyone be interested if I wrote this project up for the forums?

evildrakey said:
I might do this when I get back from the USA in September - would anyone be interested if I wrote this project up for the forums?
Please do.

Bribie G said:
It would probably go better with a touch of Marco Polo hops.
Please tell me you still have some of the chinese hops in your freezer

If not tidalPete might ;)

Also interested in how this pans out

Latest posts

Back