Perth Brewday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any chance of squeezing in a cold shivering territorian down in perth on holidays during july?
i should be free on the 16th fingers crossed.

cheers
big d

Simon has just invited me along. sounds pretty good. I should be able to make it if you dont mind. ill be sure to bring a few samples along but i dont think ill have any new ones ready untill august. just my IPA and Rye Brown Ale (AG's).

Ash

Look forward to seeing you again big d, the best-travelled AHBer in the land.

And good to have you along too Ash.

After reading about other brewmeets around the country, and how they swap yeasts amongst themselves, I thought perhaps we could give this a try. Of course it would have to take place early in the day, as things sometimes get a little hazy by mid afternoon.

If anyone else is keen, I can offer samples of the following yeasts:
1056 American Ale Yeast.
Probable origin: Balentine India Pale Ale, USA
Beer Styles: American Pale, Brown Ales, Porters, Stouts, IPA's
Commercial examples may include: Sierra Nevada Ales, Belentine IPA, and St. Louis Pale Ale, Flatlanders
Unique properties: Very clean crisp flavor characteristics. Low fruitiness and mild ester production. Slightly citrus like with cool 60-66 F, (15-19 C) fermentation temperatures. Versatile yeast, which produces many beer styles allowing malt and hop character to dominate the beer profile. Flocculation is moderate. Flocculation improves with dark malts in grain bill. Normally requires filtration for bright beers. DE or Pad filtration recommended. Flocculation - low to medium; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (60-72 F, 15-22 C)

1275 Thames Valley Ale Yeast. Produces classic British bitters, rich complex flavor profile, clean, light malt character, low fruitiness, low esters, well balanced. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 72-76%. (62-72 F, 16-22 C)

1762 Belgian Abbey Yeast II. High gravity yeast with distinct warming character from ethanol production. Slightly fruity with dry finish, low ester profile. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (65-75 F, 18-24 C)

2206 Bavarian Lager Yeast. Used by many German breweries to produce rich, full-bodied, malty beers. Good choice for Bocks and Dopplebocks. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (46-58 F, 8-14 C)

Packaging will be samples under sterilised water in brown PET bottles.

Sorry guys, scrub my name back off. I just realised i have a good friends wedding that day. Ill be sure to make the next one. Might even host one when i finish building the new brewery!

Cheers Ash

I'm well keen. pm'd BigAl and then got the leave pass from the missus!

As for the yeast samples I will(Everything going well) have some samples of Whitelabs German Lager (WLP830) "This yeast is one of the most widely used lager yeasts in the world. Very malty and clean, great for all German lagers, pilsner, oktoberfest, and marzen. Attenuation: 74-79; Flocculation: Medium; Optimum Ferm. Temp: 50-55"

It will be my first crack at culturing up a farm of yeasties(Besides starters) but I have some micro experience and will endeavor to keep the nasties out!

If I get time(At a premium at the moment), I will get the neccessaries to stuff some home made snaggers for the barbie. Lamb & Rosemary perhaps?

Cheers all and look forward to the 16th.

Hi all,
I could make up some samples of the Wyeast Belgian Adennes, if anyone wants some, also I was thinking of bring a few dozen 50ml plastic specimen tubes for people who might want to use thme for yeast suturing etc.. anyone interested they are free.

Case

At the moment the only two I would have confidence in giving away a viable std is Wyeast European Lager & Wyeast Belgian Abbey I. Just give me notice if you want either and I will make a few up.

Hi Guys,

Just thought i would send a quick update on the brewday.

Ive put together a Promash recipe for the Oktoberfest. Ive not got the recipe at work but its along the lines of:

31% Pils
31% Munich
31% Vienna
5% Melanoiden
2% Wheat malt

Mashed at 66
Hopped to ~25 IBUs with Northern Brewer and Hallertau.

Yeast probably Wyeast Munich Lager

I'll have the shed fridge on, so there should be plenty of space for your beers.
On tap ive currently got:

APA
Mash Padddle
German Lager

All is set to go, will light the HLT around 10am, will crank up the barbecue ~ 1pm

so see you then.

Cheers

umm - it is still on for the 16th isn't it...? (or have I missed a post somewhere)

Goat,

Yup, its the 16th, sorry a crucial detail i should have put in the post. :p

Al.

Well Ill be bringing along:-

- The latest version of my GT Lager (sample will be only 2 weeks old)
- A Rauch Bier thats mellowing very nicely

and a 15 month old bottle of stout I found in the back of my cupboard ;) Its the Black Spasm that did OK at last years SABSOSA. Will be interesting to see how it's matured.

Asher for now

Today is the day! Put on your drinking hats, and remember your drinking glass. I have samples of my ESB, lesser belgian, and I'll bring along another bottle of my ruby strong ale. It's 4 months old now, and I've been good and not cracked one for a couple of months.

Cant make it today folks. A colony of evil microbes seem to have taken residence in my gut. Have a great day.

Sorry to miss you Tony. Never seems the same without pipe tobacco in the air. Thanks Al for a great day. Good to see Big D again. All round great atmosphere and some good beers. Vlad's Belgian and Al's hefe were standouts. Plenty of other good beer too.

Looking forward to some nice Vienna Marzen O'fests later in the year.

Great day
Great people
Great beers
Plus a brewer who obviously knew his schnitz, and was unfazed by an audience.

The day went very smoothly, which is a real credit to Al. Something tells me he isn't a brew bitch anymore :)

Thanks mate, you're a star

Yep well done Al, I was late to arrive and it was really hard to tell you were brewing it was going that smooth! Good to sample some great beers again, shame I couldn't drink full glasses of each :) and to catch up with everyone again.

Latest posts

Back