Pasteurisation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would they use "ULTRA HIGH PRESSURE TREATMENTS ."

wynnum1 said:
Would they use "ULTRA HIGH PRESSURE TREATMENTS ."
Nice question!! We know yeast is killed around 45-50 psi I wonder if other organisms would survive.

Pascalisation (pasteurisation with pressure) is technically feasible, but the pressures required mean that it is very expensive and slow, and hence has not had any uptake in industry. It gets complicated with carbonated beverages as well.

You can't really do it at home, as you're talking pressures of at least 100-200 bar.

MastersBrewery said:
Nice question!! We know yeast is killed around 45-50 psi I wonder if other organisms would survive.
Story on landline avacadoes i think they quoted 87,000 psi, or 6,000 bar,

good4whatAlesU said:
Beer is not wine (nor whisky). Lower alcohol etc. would mean less long term preservation expectancy etc?

Yes typo "is it not?" rather than"it is not"..
Hops are anti microbial, they help with shelf life

Pascalisation is currently being done in the milk industry to produce "raw" milk that hasn't been heat pasteurised.

As for pasteurisation's affect on flavour, try a schooner of fresh XXXX heavy off the wood and compare it to its sad brother out of a stubby .. chalk and cheese.

good4whatAlesU said:
Lol see the little squiggly line at the end of my sentence which you edited out in your quote? .. That's called a "question mark" it looks like this. ? . Here it is again: ?
When you see that thing, it means someone is asking a question rather than making a statement.
good4whatAlesU said:
As i said earlier, right or wrong doesn't give people the excuse to be condescending...
Haha nice one, the circle is now complete.

Slightly OT: Am I right in thinking that if a vessel is maintained at 70c for 30 mins it will be pasteurised effectively, specifically if I half fill a FV with boiling water and let stand for 30 mins will that be sufficient (assuming the temperature range is maintained)?

I currently use a combination of boiling water & sodium perc to clean, starsan then boiling water to sanitise- and am unlikely to change that because I have (touch wood) not had a infection yet, just interested from a hypothetical standpoint.

I am fairly sure Coopers pasteurise their non bottle conditioned beers ie light, lager, clear.

So if you had a choice between a contract brewery (or building your own brewery) would you go for pasteurization or not?

Taking into consideration;

a) legal stuff
b) bank stuff
c) taste stuff
d) shelf life

.. hypothetical from a bloke who hasn't two brass razoos :)

To be honest, going in to building a contract brewery without knowing this stuff I don't think you're going to go too well...
If you're making craft-ish beers I wouldn't bother pasteurizing, plenty of craft beers around with long enough shelf lives that don't even bother

Not a simple question, and so the answer is not simple either.

You're gonna have a bad time trying to put together a brewery without an understanding of any of the technical aspects - so I suggest you try to understand the underlying/fundamental science and answer these questions for yourself.

I'll make some assumptions.

Brewery 1
  • Scale - large (>200 million L per year)
  • Product - Lager; cider
  • Market - mass
  • Pasteurisation: Yes.

Brewery 2
  • Scale - small (<2 million L per year)
  • Product - large range of boutique beers
  • Market - niche
  • Pasteurisation: No
Brewery 2
  • Scale - med/small
  • Product - contract brewery
  • Market - N/A
  • Pasteurisation - yes; if you're planning a contract brewery your set up should be as flexible as possible to allow more variation and hence more customers.

good4whatAlesU said:
So if you had a choice between a contract brewery (or building your own brewery) would you go for pasteurization or not?

a) legal stuff
B) bank stuff
c) taste stuff
d) shelf life

No. As a craft brewer you need flavour, as many have said pasteurization is anti-flavour. Beer is a low risk food as far as safety goes provided foreign objects are avoided. I honestly can only see downside for pasteurizing at a small scale.

good4whatAlesU said:

a) legal stuff
B) bank stuff
c) taste stuff
d) shelf life

Also, and I don't mean to crash anyone's dreams, but you will need a significant number of razoos to start even a small brewery. Think $600k - $1m to get producing plus initial cash flow to get you through.

Note at less than 1/2 million litres a year your brewing for love .... by that I mean return on investment and time; your money would be better in an anuity. Yeah you'll still make a wage and possibly a profit, but margins will be tight, the ato will probably profit more than the bussiness.

If you are only brewing for the wholesale market then yes. If you can sell a significant portion (ie. above 25%) at retail then that is a game changer.

klangers said:
.... I suggest you try to understand the underlying/fundamental science and answer these questions for yourself.
Have a rough idea (Applied science degree, lead author publisher etc. etc.) but always can learn more. Everyone can learn.

sp0rk said:
To be honest, going in to building a contract brewery without knowing this stuff I don't think you're going to go too well...

.. who said I was 'going into building a brewery?" I hypothesized "if you had a choice between?" ..

good4whatAlesU said:
Have a rough idea (Applied science degree, lead author publisher etc. etc.) but always can learn more. Everyone can learn.

.. who said I was 'going into building a brewery?" I hypothesized "if you had a choice between?" ..
Chip, shoulder, etc...
Not meaning any offence mate, it's just we've seen plenty of people come in here all gung ho intent on setting up a brewery only having brewed for a short period of time and have it all end in tears.
Just trying to help you get prepared as best as you can if that's what you're aiming to do.

I was only making a suggestion to learn more. If you have an applied science degree you'll know that science can get complex very quickly and not all answers are simple "to do X or not to do X". Understanding the fundamentals can help you see the trees for the wood.

Latest posts

Back