Pasteurisation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MastersBrewery said:
you or maybe your just a troll
I gave the bloke a chance at the beginning, but for a newly joined forum member, he/she definitely has some bold comments.

Oh no, not the JM ...

Most contract plants, the main 2 small pack plants in NSW, will let bottle or can beer out unpasteurised. It's insurance.

I use one of those plants and the affect on hop oils is harsh. The other 2 issues are vdk and quicker styling if DO's are high. Had batches with vdk due to a rushed ferment and the cooling switched on to early. Thankfully none of those issues from current plant

Flash pasteurising has a good foothold in the us craft guys, suprised me when some the guys that do it. Anyways, beer in small packages, so much fun ...

danestead said:
I gave the bloke a chance at the beginning, but for a newly joined forum member, he/she definitely has some bold comments.
hmmm.. Ever get that feeling you're being talked about while you're still in the room :)

/// said:
Oh no, not the JM ...

Most contract plants, the main 2 small pack plants in NSW, will let bottle or can beer out unpasteurised. It's insurance.

I use one of those plants and the affect on hop oils is harsh. The other 2 issues are vdk and quicker styling if DO's are high. Had batches with vdk due to a rushed ferment and the cooling switched on to early. Thankfully none of those issues from current plant

Flash pasteurising has a good foothold in the us craft guys, suprised me when some the guys that do it. Anyways, beer in small packages, so much fun ...
Thanks that's useful information. Would it be possible to please elaborate on VDK?

edit. Ah diacetyl - didn't recognise the acronym.

/// said:
Oh no, not the JM ...

\\\, did you by chance mean "Most contract plants, the main 2 small pack plants in NSW, will NOT let bottle or can beer out unpasteurised. It's insurance." ?

That's what he ment.
And the term vdk is visceral diketone.
Incorrect spelling.

Vicinal Diketones
Diacetyl is one of them, admittedly most of the VDK in beer is diacetyl, perhaps the most detectable, but it isn't the only one.
A bit like Ethanol may represent over 99% of the alcohols in a beer but it would be wrong to underestimate the effects of other higher alcohols on the flavour.
Mark

klangers said:
\\\, did you by chance mean "Most contract plants, the main 2 small pack plants in NSW, will NOT let bottle or can beer out unpasteurised. It's insurance." ?
Thanks guys. apologies for my nativity but it sounds like if a contract brewer wanted an aged style beer it would have to be aged prior to leaving the factory.

or rather 'better to be aged' prior to leaving the factory.

good4whatAlesU said:
Thanks guys. apologies for my nativity but it sounds like if a contract brewer wanted an aged style beer it would have to be aged prior to leaving the factory.

Only if he wanted to sell it as an "aged beer"... Consumer law would dictate if they could sell it as "aged" or not

It does not have to be aged to leave the brewery, and does not have to be pasteurised

good4whatAlesU said:

Yes and no
Some brewers will age before packaging, others (like Murrays with their Anniversary Ale) say it can be drunk fresh, but that it will continue to age and get better over say the next 10 years

Okay good to know, thanks. Not simple.
For marketing and consistency this would be tricky.
much appreciated.

And actually, I realise I'm even kind of wrong there
Murrays (sometimes) age for a while in casks then bottle, and say the beer can be aged longer
It will apply differently from beer to beer, and brewer to brewer
Experiment and pick a style that suits you, I guess

good4whatAlesU said:
apologies for my nativity
That's what i get typing with one hand whilst working up a ladder.

Did the 'nativity' have anything to do with beer? I suppose they were in a stable.. there could have been grain. :)

Latest posts

Back