On brew day, what do you do during the wait times?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listen to abc radio and potter around cleaning and wondering why I can't just be a professional brewer. Then panicking because I am out of some obscure ingredient that can only be obtained from the brew shop that closes in half an hour.

Bad back. Couch and research of methods till brewery duty calls. Don't fall aslzzzzzzzzz...

djar007 said:
Listen to abc radio and potter around cleaning and wondering why I can't just be a professional brewer. Then panicking because I am out of some obscure ingredient that can only be obtained from the brew shop that closes in half an hour.
I used to fantasize about owning my own brewery but after hearing all the nightmare stories about red tape and $$$ I now daydream about owning a nice little craft beer bar. Less work, more beers to sample and sexy, impressable hipster girls.

I also practice my karaoke skills. Last brew day I nailed Billy Ocean's "Love on Delivery" on my 3rd attempt. I also change lyrics in songs, e.g. Bitter Beers - INXS, Brew Eyes Crying in the Rain etc etc. I use my mash paddle as a microphone.

Lincoln2 said:
I also practice my karaoke skills. Last brew day I nailed Billy Ocean's "Love on Delivery" on my 3rd attempt. I also change lyrics in songs, e.g. Bitter Beers - INXS, Brew Eyes Crying in the Rain etc etc. I use my mash paddle as a microphone.
Yep garage Karaoke.

Anything by Air Supply, REO Speedwagon, Chicago, Metallica or Acsie Dacsie (AC/DC)

The drum kit in the garage does not help, it begs to be played

Lincoln2 said:
I used to fantasize about owning my own brewery but after hearing all the nightmare stories about red tape and $$$ I now daydream about owning a nice little craft beer bar. Less work, more beers to sample and sexy, impressable hipster girls.
My missus is actually encouraging me to do this, don't think she has put the hipster girls into her idea of it though.

Tahoose said:
My missus is actually encouraging me to do this, don't think she has put the hipster girls into her idea of it though.
Are there major differences between owning a small craft pub and a brewery? (Honestly interested)

Wilkens

Well is say that it would probably be easier to open a pub or buy an existing bar and change it to suit your needs. Than to open a micro brewery.

Then you have to deal with stockists or trying to get your beers on tap in pubs/bars and paying excise, long credit terms.

I'm sure there's more too it, but I'm not currently in that industry so I wouldn't know the full extent of it. Our country isn't very supportive to brewing just yet though, but they love winemakers.

Expensive wine makes for a more impressive gift than a sixer of Torpedos.

Suddenly realise there won't be any empty kegs for this batch and have to start some heavy lifting....

Camo6 said:
Expensive wine makes for a more impressive gift than a sixer of Torpedos.
Apparently wine, even expensive stuff makes for a quite forgettable gift.

R600449-173A.jpg

I spend mash time heating sparge and weighing hops, of course with the help of my mini me brew assistant this can turn a 60min mash into a 90 min mash.

Tahoose said:
Unless they don't like wine?
What politician doesn't like wine?

Camo6 said:
They all seem to do enough of it.

Maybe we need to reset how beer is perceived, I mean at $40 per slab it's not exactly price friendly for even the working class any more.

People need to want to be seen drinking beers.

Think once my mash is underway tomorrow arvo I might cook up some fajitas, or somebody at work was just talking about parma's, could destroy a chicken Parma

Camo6 said:
Or a free ride at the expense of the tax payer, but hey thats how your get 'business' done

Today I had some down time in the brewery. On the weekend a mate gave me a second-hand vice (100mm Rocket) that was surplus to his requirements. Another mate dropped off an engraver on loan.

So I engraved the word Miami on my vice. Not that I ever really watched the show, but like a lot of us, I was inspired by the fashions.

Yes, I know it's a bit rubbish but it's my first attempt.

2014 Early June 034.JPG

Back