On brew day, what do you do during the wait times?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burt de Ernie

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering what everyone does when waiting needs to be done for example during the mash?

Usually I will try to wash some clothes or hang em out so I can keep the Mrs on-side however today was different.

Because I have now completed my new brewery I thought it deserved a new mash paddle.

This took me 3 hours to knock up out of an off cut of floor board.

IMG_1781.jpg

Might do some more of these next brew!

What do you get up to? or is it all product quality assurance AKA drinking you beer?

Nice paddle.
I applaud your productivity :beer:
I tend to get involved in some product testing, might read a book and basically relax. Brew day is my day.

Nice work on the mash paddle. It depends on the time I brew, if it's an early brew on a weekend I will do some yard work, mow etc.
If it's a Friday night brew, I will usually have a few whilst setting the rig up,watch the footy and by the time I am cubing I am mumbling to myself thinking about how many pints I've had and I'm not even pissed. Then I wake up Saturday and realise how pissed I was.

Edit, oh yeah there tends to be a lot of staring and thinking.

Yesterday I mowed and whippersnipped, trimmed all the hedges and washed 2 cars. Also had a couple of beers and was all washed up and packed away by 11.30am when the missus got home from work.
As a bonus there was 4 cubes sitting on the bottom of the pool

smokomark said:
Yesterday I mowed and whippersnipped, trimmed all the hedges and washed 2 cars. Also had a couple of beers and was all washed up and packed away by 11.30am when the missus got home from work.
As a bonus there was 4 cubes sitting on the bottom of the pool
I like this answer.

To me, doing this sort of thing will never give the mrs a chance to rag on your ass about brew days!

I brew every fortnight so I'm kegging, cleaning, rinsing yeast and brewing a new batch on a brewday, usually ends up being a pretty solid day, always like to have some meat on the smoker as well but the most important is to have some fresh beer and good tunes cranking all day.

Oil changes on the motorbikes, drink, play games on my phone, drink, clean my shed, drink, etc...

When I first started I was paranoid and would read and re read over the recipe and the process to make sure I wouldn't stuff anything up.

After a while I got sick of that and just started drinking during the down times, with some interesting results.

These days I tend to brew Saturday nights after the kids go to bed, so I watch the footy and cook my lunches for work during the week. And do QA work on previous batches.

Today I brewed a double batch, mowed the lawn, had some lunch, afternoon smoko with some friends, cleaned the gear while cubing. If the friends didn't visit I would have done the edges and done the roundup during the brew also instead of afterwards.

There's usually a lot of cackling at what I'm doing and saying 'phwoar' and 'ooh la la' and 'hubba hubba' going on from my end too to fill in the time. Sometimes I even do work...

Brew days are usually food days as well. So making bread or pizza, smoking a chicken or rolling tortillas is good break work. Obviously accompanied by beers. Often too many...

Oil changes on the motorbikes, drink, play
Oil changes on the motorbikes, drink, play games on my phone, drink, clean my shed, drink, etc...

Drink, drink more, get affected/confused, drop the hydrometer into the spent engine oil, feel elated it's reading a few points higher than the recipe predicted, add 200ppm CaS04 to the fresh oil...this Duccattis gonna be a hoppy one!...fall over.

I brew on friday evenings. Usually start work early after the gym so I can knock off at 3 or 3:30.

Rush to MHB, grab the brew.

Say hi to the wife and kids.

Set up, get to strike temp. Mash in

Feed and bathe children (2yo and 6mo)

Mash out and crank birko

Children to bed. Open beer

Grain over the fence to the neighbours chooks

Beer

Dinner

Hop additions

Beer

Beer x lots

Goodnight to wife

Beer, listen to my brew song on repeat (Don't stop me now by Queen)

Cube, burn hands, spill wort on floor.

Sleep

Hangover

Been over a year since I did an all grain but usually hang out the washing,mow the lawn,drink,weed the veggie patch,drink,listen to podcasts,while having a drink....
Cheers....spog...

Keep the production line going:
Keg from secondarys
Rack from primary to secondarys
Sanatise all the fermenters
Prep chillers and hop rocket
etc...

Back