Nsw Xmas In July Case 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boiling a Decoction mashed Altbier right now that will probably end up my case swap beer.

Its made to the big end of the specs :)

I have a question about the swap day!

has a place and time been aranged yet? I have a birthday party to be at mid to late arvo on the 28th so would be good to start planing when and where if im going to be running the Newey contingent of beers down in my ute.

Was my brothers birthday on the 1st dec lasy year that stoped me comming down......... and now his girlfriends 30th is on this swap day. Its a conspiricy i tell ya!

anyway........... let me know.

cheers

Snagged a sample of my aging Porter on the weekend. 2 months on the oak its become quite smooth. Attentuated maybe a bit more than I expected, so it'll be around a 7% beer.
Tempted to only half carbonate it, to keep it as smooth as possible, and so I don't make any potential gushers like a few of the dark beers i've had in the past.

Snagged a sample of my aging Porter on the weekend. 2 months on the oak its become quite smooth. Attentuated maybe a bit more than I expected, so it'll be around a 7% beer.
Tempted to only half carbonate it, to keep it as smooth as possible, and so I don't make any potential gushers like a few of the dark beers i've had in the past.

Will you stop posting comments like this :icon_drool2: making it hard to wait !!

Decided on a Golden Lager (don't ask) which will go down this weekend so will have a month / 6 weeks to lager and bottle just before the swap. Good drinking around football semi finals time !

Will you stop posting comments like this :icon_drool2: making it hard to wait !!
The waiting game is the hardest part...and 3 months is a long time to wait when I walk by the fermenter every day! :blink:

The waiting game is the hardest part...and 3 months is a long time to wait when I walk by the fermenter every day! :blink:

If the 3 month aged porter suddenly "gets an infection" and is replaced with a Coopers Stout kit, we'll know what happened !

Muggus........ ive been thinking of doing something like this myself for quite some time.

I have a porter just finnished firmenting so its a perfect candidate.

What Oak chips did you use.?

I have a pack of those Jack daniels barrel splinters that you use in spirits. I was thinking of chucking them in........... or maybe getting some rum barrel chips for the job.

please share :)

cheers

Muggus........ ive been thinking of doing something like this myself for quite some time.

I have a porter just finnished firmenting so its a perfect candidate.

What Oak chips did you use.?

I have a pack of those Jack daniels barrel splinters that you use in spirits. I was thinking of chucking them in........... or maybe getting some rum barrel chips for the job.

please share :)

cheers
For the porter I used French oak chips...didn't write down the specific brand.
I've used the same kind of chips in a barley wine for 6 months. Came out very nice, well intergrated oak flavours, almost muscat-like.

I've had some recent experience with something similiar to the Jack Daniels style chips in a imperial stout...would be considered American oak right?
They seem to give off a more prominant flavour that French, smokey/burnt flavours, sharper and more tannic, the kind of character i'd associate with a big red wine.

Either way you go, I reckon its well worth a try Tony. Even if you only oak half the batch.

Cheers

The bad news is that I'm going to be out of the country on the date the swap is down for (28 June).
The good news is that I kegged the second keg of my swap beer tonight.
So all I need to do is drop off my entry to some one else in the swap on the weekend of the 14-15th of June.
Who is the closest to Cherrybrook, that wouldn't mind helping me out by taking along my entry, and picking up my case ?

Beers,
Doc

My English Bitter with target/challenger and WLP023 went down on Sunday. Its looking promising.

Cheers
Andrew.

Either way you go, I reckon its well worth a try Tony. Even if you only oak half the batch.

Cheers

:p I dont do things in halves :D

Thanks for the info. Will rack it to a smaller firmenter with minimal head space and dump the JD chips in. I like JD and have experimented with a dash in a strong porter and like it. a couple months on oak will make it something special i think.

You have me thinking halves now.

May have to get hold of a couple of smaller cubes and split the batch between JD barrel chips and Rum barrel chips.

cheers

Edit: Does anyone have info on the swap day............. time and location wise?

If i cant plan i will have to can. have other things on that day too.

cheers

Edit: Does anyone have info on the swap day............. time and location wise?

If i cant plan i will have to can. have other things on that day too.

cheers

Tony, I think we've all agreed on the 28th June for the swap day. Should be around the 10-11am mark like it has always been to give people some time to get there. Unfortunately, I have no space to hold it, but I'm sure somebody will hold their hand up closer to the date (or have their hand held up for them :p ). I'd plan on that time and where exactly it will be probably won't matter too much.

Bottled my Bock tonight after a few weeks lagering. Cut it fine with only half a glass left after bottling.

Kabooby :)

Tony, I think we've all agreed on the 28th June for the swap day. Should be around the 10-11am mark like it has always been to give people some time to get there. Unfortunately, I have no space to hold it, but I'm sure somebody will hold their hand up closer to the date (or have their hand held up for them :p ). I'd plan on that time and where exactly it will be probably won't matter too much.

I'll put my hand up if Orchard Hills isn't too far to travel. We have an abundance of space for parking and swapping. Three barbies and a dart board.

We're on the Northern Rd (Penrith) exit of the M4, pretty close to the M7.

Don't mind if it is too far, but noone else had offered yet.

Nice offer, Josh. I'd be fine with that, but not sure about others. Could be a bit far for the Wollongong folks. Certainly good to have one possible though. :)

Nice offer, Josh. I'd be fine with that, but not sure about others. Could be a bit far for the Wollongong folks. Certainly good to have one possible though. :)

What, you think us woosshies or something ? Besides, interesting if anyone but me makes the drive :rolleyes: - large car, five crates of beer .. could take a while to get home !!! The M4 okay as we can go Gong - Campbelltown route probably quicker than most (and I have one of those e tag things anyway !) Still haven't a clue where Josh lives, but I found Flop's house didn't I !

That's actually quite a pleasant and not too difficult journey from Wollongong. I'm expecting to be heading up to Penrith that day to see the battle of the cats at CUA stadium. So good timing.

regards,
Scott

If Tony can't make it that day, I can probably do a run for the HAGs in the comp. Have wagon, can travel and anywhere close to the M7 sounds fine, good of you to make the offer, Josh.

So, sounds like we have a location for the swap, unless anybody has some objections.

Well....seeing as my spot wasnt filled. Im back in....thats if its still ok with Stuster and the rest of you?
Cheers
Steve

Glad to have you back ! headbonk.gif

Back