Nsw Xmas In July Case 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've gotta say it'd be good to see a vast variety of beers in the swap.
While the Christmas Caseswap was great and each beer was certainly well-made and unique, I was suprised that some styles weren't attempted, like wheat beers. I was under the impression that wheat beers of any variety were quite commonly brewed.

2 per style Steve :party:
I think I got in 1st :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about doing an American Brown. I did 1 a while back which was nice, but it could be tweaked a bit to better satisfy such a discerning market such as yourselves. :icon_cheers:
American Brown is different to the English Browns, so there is some room still in the brown camp

I've gotta say it'd be good to see a vast variety of beers in the swap.
While the Christmas Caseswap was great and each beer was certainly well-made and unique, I was suprised that some styles weren't attempted, like wheat beers. I was under the impression that wheat beers of any variety were quite commonly brewed.

Well Muggus, the IBU boys PoMo and SAH are IMHO pretty fair hands at the wheaties. Put pressure on them.

I was under the impression that wheat beers were best drunk green so would be late bottled (say a week before the swap. Probably turn off those wanting to ensure a good brew. Or am I talking crap again.

I had designs on making Jamil's Alesmith Evil Dead Red clone, which is a kinda-sorta Imperial American Amber. Apologies in advance Tony for all those American hops! :p I'll do a test batch this weekend to make sure it doesn't taste like arse.

If there's more than a couple of American Ambers appoaching the swap date I'll pick something else. Mr Mosher has some dangerous looking concoctions in Chapter 17... :blink:

can we ban American hops to get people to try something new and different?

how about we get creative and forget the style police guidelines.

Amber lager with NZ and english hops?

smoked wheat beer?

dark australian lager made with Noble hops?

APA made with NZ hops....... Mmmmmmmm

cheers

Geeez. Making it tough for us new guys. Mines going to be experimental. Im only 2 AGs in so everything is still experimental. Lucky there is no such thing as bad AG :lol: .

Cheers
Andrew.

Well Muggus, the IBU boys PoMo and SAH are IMHO pretty fair hands at the wheaties. Put pressure on them.

I don't think you've ever tasted a wheaty of mine, FG, or you wouldn't have made that post :) SAH's wheaty at IB5 was superb, mine pale in comparison of the true IBU wheat master, SAH.

So no, mine won't be a wheat beer, but it may contain about 10% wheat. I'm thinking I'll put in my house ale, a keg of which disappeared not long after lunch of the first day of the NSW Championships this year. I might be using Aus Cascade as late hops instead of Nelson Sauvin, tho.

I don't think you've ever tasted a wheaty of mine, FG, or you wouldn't have made that post

No need, take everyone else's word for it B)

SAH's wheaty at IB5 was superb, mine pale in comparison of the true IBU wheat master, SAH.

True - let's put him on a pedestal that others will try to drag him off :rolleyes:

So no, mine won't be a wheat beer, but it may contain about 10% wheat. I'm thinking I'll put in my house ale, a keg of which disappeared not long after lunch of the first day of the NSW Championships this year. I might be using Aus Cascade as late hops instead of Nelson Sauvin, tho.

Yes, that was a shocker. So bad we did the right thing and emptied the keg within - what - twenty minutes - in the middle of a beer tasting competition ! (Mind you, the worst culprits were not the judges .. now I know why I can't remember getting home that day)

You are too modest - whatever you brew will be good (or we'll send the boys around :angry: )

I'm thinking I'll put in my house ale, a keg of which disappeared not long after lunch of the first day of the NSW Championships this year. I might be using Aus Cascade as late hops instead of Nelson Sauvin, tho.

Ohhh yeah, remember that one PoMo, beaaaauuuuddddiful palate cleanser after a bucket of other beers that morning. From what I remember it'd only come out of the fermenter a couple of days prior too.

1. Stuster
2. Steve
3. nifty
4. PoMo
5. Crozdog
6. Kabooby
7. Fatgodzilla - English Old Ale
8. Muggus
9. floppinab
10. Insight
11. redbeard - my beer is going to ELEVEN !!
12. Gulpa
13. SAH
14. HomeBrewWorld.com
15. BeerSlayer
16. Schooey
17. Pint of Lager
18. Thirstywench
19. Josh
20. Cortez The Killer
21. Jon W - APA with lots of American hops.
22. DK
23. Jez
24. tony
25. Loftboy
26. Doc
27. Monkeybusiness
28. Linz

I've only done about 10 AGs, and I've been working on getting an APA that I'm happy with. I'm not comfortable trying an experimental brew, as I think I'd be lucky to produce something good. So APA it is for me.

Jon

1. Stuster
2. Steve
3. nifty
4. PoMo
5. Crozdog
6. Kabooby
8. Muggus
9. floppinab
10. Insight
12. Gulpa
13. SAH
14. HomeBrewWorld.com
15. BeerSlayer
16. Schooey
17. Pint of Lager
18. Thirstywench
19. Josh
20. Cortez The Killer
22. DK
23. Jez
24. tony
25. Loftboy
26. Doc
27. Monkeybusiness
28. Linz - Over dunked Dunkelweizen(1st attempt)

1. Stuster
2. Steve
3. nifty
4. PoMo
5. Crozdog
6. Kabooby - Xaviers Bock
8. Muggus
9. floppinab
10. Insight
12. Gulpa
13. SAH
14. HomeBrewWorld.com
15. BeerSlayer
16. Schooey
17. Pint of Lager
18. Thirstywench
19. Josh
20. Cortez The Killer
22. DK
23. Jez
24. tony
25. Loftboy
26. Doc
27. Monkeybusiness
28. Linz - Over dunked Dunkelweizen(1st attempt)

Its time to unleash "Xaviers Bock"

For those of us that enjoy strong dark lagers in the winter

Kabooby :)

Just to let everyone know that Doc's created a new section of the Articles (wiki) section and there's now a new article for the Xmas case info. You can add all the info about your beers etc to that instead of using lots of Dane's bandwidth by adding hundreds of posts here. Not that we won't keep chatting about it here, but just to simplify adding the kind of beer you're making, yeasts etc. :D

Edit: Here's the link. Link.

Muggus, as per my post above, let's start adding this kind of info to the wiki instead of in this thread. It'll save a lot of bandwidth on the site and the thread won't get so big that you can't find any info on it. The Articles section is on the top, and you'll find it in the recent additions thread or in the Case Swaps section. :)

Sounds like a good beer BTW. How long are you going to age it? What kind of oak? :icon_drool2:

Cheers Stu! Only just noticed that...great idea! :beer:

With a little luck i'll be able to age my Porter for 3 months on French Oak chips and have it bottled on time for the swap.

With a little luck i'll be able to age my Porter for 3 months on French Oak chips and have it bottled on time for the swap.

Wow. That sounds great. Looking forward to the case already. :icon_chickcheers:

Yes, that was a shocker. So bad we did the right thing and emptied the keg within - what - twenty minutes - in the middle of a beer tasting competition ! (Mind you, the worst culprits were not the judges .. now I know why I can't remember getting home that day)

You are too modest - whatever you brew will be good (or we'll send the boys around :angry: )

Ohhh yeah, remember that one PoMo, beaaaauuuuddddiful palate cleanser after a bucket of other beers that morning. From what I remember it'd only come out of the fermenter a couple of days prior too.

Yeah, that was the one. Thanks for talking it up, guys, now I have an expectation to live up to. :D
I'm planning on brewing a double batch, enough for the case swap and a keg for me.

I might go the NS in order to back up some claims I've made before too.

Geeez. Making it tough for us new guys. Mines going to be experimental. Im only 2 AGs in so everything is still experimental. Lucky there is no such thing as bad AG :lol: .

Cheers
Andrew.

AG brews in the 3 figures now and still............... still every brew is "experimental"

It never ends mate.

cheers

I made my American brown yesterday - almost 12 months to the day since the last attempt. This time I upped the volume to 80L as well as increased the amount of choc malt, the OG & the IBU's. :super:

I might play with the 2 x 15l cubes to see what yeast to use before deciding what to use on the bigger volume cube I've saved for the case swap. I have a Swiss lager cake about to come free, so might chuck 15l onto that as an experiment. Will post the recipe later if anyone is interested.

I hope you all enjoy it, cause it was tasting alright out of the kettle :beer:

Back