Monster Mill Smoked My Cordless Drill :( Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much more grunt does a MM need than a Marga? I simply bought a $39 Ozito corded hammer drill from Bunnings and I've been using it since whenever my first bulk buy was - just after Xmas IIRC, crushed around 8 sacks so far and it's soldiering along just fine, doesn't even get more than lukewarm with an average 15 mins length of Marga crush. I'd guess those better model Ozitos would be even better. I "mount" mine on a couple of blocks so I just need to stand and work the trigger to get a slowish grind, don't need to physically hold the thing up.

If it burns out in the next year I'll just get another, price almost trivial.

marga4Medium.jpg

+1

Thats exactly the drill I have. Whilst it doesnt get used for milling, it has done heaps of household jobs without fail...drilled through brick, metal, solid hardwood, built the chook house etc etc...still going strong and as you say, if it dies, just go grab another.

If you are hell bent on going with a drill, these are apparently quite good, and have been mentioned by other brewers who obviously use them in other threads. I was going to go with something like this to power my mill, but i already had an awesome lithium ion cordless drill with craploads of torque, so i'm using that at the moment. But if my drill gets smoked, i'm gonna go with one of these.

http://www.tradetools.com/Catalogue/Produc...ctCode=RILRD800

Would like to use a motor, but my setup where my mill is doesn't easily allow for it. I like the fact that i can just use my normal cordless drill, walk up to it, attach and i'm away. Slower than an already hooked up motor? - yeah it is, but for my setup it works well for me.

Go with a 13mm chuck too. Some mills are a 10mm or thereabouts shaft so a normal chuck drill will work. When i upgraded my mill to the mashmaster mini, my usual drill didn't work as it's a 13mm shaft size. Lucky i had one of those too.

EDIT: By the way, i read somewhere that you'll need around 30-35nm of torque to drive a mill with a hopper full of grain. My hopper holds approx 10-12kg's of grain, and my ryobi has about 50-55nm of torque and goes well even with the hopper full before turning it on.
I can attest first-hand to these drills. Monstrous amounts of torque, and very easy to get a nice, slow, mill speed going, even with a full hopper.

For $100, it's cheap, plus you get an awesome drill if you ever need to, y'know, drill stuff.

I think that it is important to remember when thinking about a motor/drill what sort of mill you have.

(I believe that) BribieG's Marga has 4" long rollers, as does my Crankandstein 2S. Many other mills have 6" long rollers, instantly requiring 50% more power to drive, before you even begin thinking about the roller diameter.

I use a 14.4V LiIon cordless Ozito to drive mine - it's fantastic. My 710Watt corded Ozito is not.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_produc...drill_1882.aspx

Saw this one in action, piece of piss to operate, the bloke had it in place, its a high torque drill, with a proper chuck, for the infrequent brewer, looks like a cost effective option.

btw, I like that its got flat faces that can be easily mounted on a board and clamp down permanently. Apparently, its real job is mixing concrete.

Just as an update. to the original poster, i was in bunnings today, and saw this drill as advertised in the link above.

I was planning to brew today, so i grabbed it as the way my mill is mounted, i don't have space for a motor. Currently have been using a high voltage Ryobi cordless and it's been going well. but i wanted a plug and play option that didn't involve using my nice handyman drill.

Just finished crushing my grain with it. Brilliant! So easy to control the speed, and stupid amount of torque too. I crushed a 9kg grain bill and i could of had it running at 50rpm if i wanted to. Very cool.

As a plug and play option, it's fantastic. Now i don't have to worry that i'm slowly killing my $250 ryobi setup....

Good review, been looking to upgrade my drill as the $15 corded hammer drill just cant cut it anymore. Was tossing up between the cheap Ozito cordeds but thought Ill do more research....well im glad I did so will grab one with more grunt tomorrow night.

Good review, been looking to upgrade my drill as the $15 corded hammer drill just cant cut it anymore. Was tossing up between the cheap Ozito cordeds but thought Ill do more research....well im glad I did so will grab one with more grunt tomorrow night.

There may be other options out there that are cheaper as far as corded drills go, i don't really know. i had seen the drill mentioned, was in bunnings and grabbed one based on the stats alone.

You won't be dissappointed if you go with this drill. There are probably others though, but this one does kick some serious ass.

You won't be dissappointed if you go with this drill. There are probably others though, but this one does kick some serious ass.

yeah i intend just to keep mine clean and a photocopy of the invoice, if it gives up in less than three years i am laughing

only issue i find is i cannot lock the real slow speed on easy and sometimes have to hold the drill on or run it a bit faster lock it on and back off the speed screw. might be mine but ?

i also use it to drive in any BIG screws etc no drama :beerbang:

Yea, same issue. Seem to need to press it right in the middle to lock the real slow speed in. I might just use some cable to hold it there.

I was getting quite concerned about killing my ermmm unmentionably exxy drill, which did a great job, but I like this better :p I like how close the centre of the chuck is to the flat-ish top face. Aligns almost perfectl with the mill without needing to be at a slight angle when mounted.

sounds like these mills need some expensive power tool to run them..what happened to a bit of blood sweat and tear's or THIS
DSCN1388.jpg

Thanks Big Nath.
Had been looking @ that big Ozito drill to replace my (high speed) B@D "crank handle".
Can't maintain a steady pace with that.

sounds like these mills need some expensive power tool to run them..what happened to a bit of blood sweat and tear's or THIS
DSCN1388.jpg

Road crush grade malt?! Floor mill! Run over malt mill.

so that's what they mean when they say "floor malted".....

makes so much sense know....

My $30 Ozito would have cracked about 200kg by now and showing no signs of melting. Plus drilling concrete work and other household duties.
Cheap shit all the way :)

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_produc...drill_1882.aspx

Saw this one in action, piece of piss to operate, the bloke had it in place, its a high torque drill, with a proper chuck, for the infrequent brewer, looks like a cost effective option.

btw, I like that its got flat faces that can be easily mounted on a board and clamp down permanently. Apparently, its real job is mixing concrete.

I bought one of these and while I havn't used it for a full crush (only did a ~1kg to test) it seemed to have heaps of lowdown torque. As far as simple options go, I don't think it gets any easier then this.

Additionally for mounting, where the extra handle screws in to the body of the drill , I'm thinking of using that to mount it somehow....

I 'acquired a strip of aluminium today, will post pic later about what I meant by clamp it down in place using the flat faces.

Pictures say millions of words.
c293f06d.jpg
9f5dec66.jpg
de152817.jpg

^ last one, how to stow it away, flat against the wall, w/out hopper. Plan is to get a piece of wood, cut a hole in it and screw it to top of mill and use a water bottle hopper.

PS: notice how close to the top face of the casing the drill shaft comes out. That's bloody perfect wrt helping align it with the drill shaft without pre-stressing the bearings with a drill pressing against the board. No need for spider couplings etc, ESP with it being a hammer drill. Handles wobbles - if any - just fine.

pm Bradsbrew, I was round at his brew day about this time last year and his Marga smoked his cordless so he went out to the ute and brought back something huge, orange and feral that did the job pronto. He should be able to advise as he does a lot of brewing.

haha sounds like milling grain at my place. Big dirty oldschool hammer drill (hammer OFF lol), weighs a ton, and wakes half the neighbourhood when Im crushing. Its so ******* macho, just writing about it is giving me a hard on.

Latest posts

Back