Monster Mill Smoked My Cordless Drill :( Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StrongArmsOfTheMaPromo.gif

Not forgetting that Warra is a fit-arse golf fanatic and uses his milling to strengthen his swing muscles. B)

I think you will burn out the cheaper one as it doesn't have a gearbox.

I believe a few people are using the bigger one.
With the bigger one, a 0-1000rpm range in low range, since you want about 150-200rpm would I use it, No...

I know a dedicated motor does not double as a drill, but it will get you a decent constant RPM in the correct rev range.
I love how easy my mill is to use now. Since most the time I'm crushing up to 20kg of grain in 1 batch and with the motor I can switch it on and walk away. Details of the motor I used are on my web site.

QldKev

As I am no handyman (Bunnings is my personal hell)... I need basically a "plug and play" option... so a drill seems the easiest option for me...

can someone link me to something appropriate?

I see threads about what drill to use and how mills kill drills. Setting up a 240V motor and pulley to opperate in the correct RPM range really isnt that hard.

I also dont know why mills come with 3/8" drive shaft - I've not seen a drill in the last 10 years or more with a chuck that cant do 13mm
Admittedly I dont look at the super cheap pieces of shit - then again I'm also not buying new power tools every couple of months.

looking for a drill to power my just purchased Monster Mill... :)

would this one be sufficient?
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_produc...--Corded+Drills

or would the 710w version be better?
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_produc...--%2420+-+%2450

That drill isnt much less that I paid for my motor! (I paid $85)

I'm in Campbelltown, and I am happy to help you mount it up if you want, or you can look at my motorised monster mill post and see what I did.

It was really quite easy, and works very well.

Your welcome to come and check out my setup, send me a pm if you want!

As I am no handyman (Bunnings is my personal hell)... I need basically a "plug and play" option... so a drill seems the easiest option for me...

can someone link me to something appropriate?

Have a look at the Aldi catalog this week.

There's a 18v Lion cordless high torque drill for about $80 (max torque 30nm)

If you are hell bent on going with a drill, these are apparently quite good, and have been mentioned by other brewers who obviously use them in other threads. I was going to go with something like this to power my mill, but i already had an awesome lithium ion cordless drill with craploads of torque, so i'm using that at the moment. But if my drill gets smoked, i'm gonna go with one of these.

http://www.tradetools.com/Catalogue/Produc...ctCode=RILRD800

Would like to use a motor, but my setup where my mill is doesn't easily allow for it. I like the fact that i can just use my normal cordless drill, walk up to it, attach and i'm away. Slower than an already hooked up motor? - yeah it is, but for my setup it works well for me.

Go with a 13mm chuck too. Some mills are a 10mm or thereabouts shaft so a normal chuck drill will work. When i upgraded my mill to the mashmaster mini, my usual drill didn't work as it's a 13mm shaft size. Lucky i had one of those too.

EDIT: By the way, i read somewhere that you'll need around 30-35nm of torque to drive a mill with a hopper full of grain. My hopper holds approx 10-12kg's of grain, and my ryobi has about 50-55nm of torque and goes well even with the hopper full before turning it on.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_produc...drill_1882.aspx

Saw this one in action, piece of piss to operate, the bloke had it in place, its a high torque drill, with a proper chuck, for the infrequent brewer, looks like a cost effective option.

btw, I like that its got flat faces that can be easily mounted on a board and clamp down permanently. Apparently, its real job is mixing concrete.

Power: 1050W
Chuck size: 13mm
No load speed: 0 – 550/min
Max torque: 119.6Nm
Gear case: Alloy
Drilling capabilities: 50m timber / 13mm steel
Weight: 3.9kg

How much more grunt does a MM need than a Marga? I simply bought a $39 Ozito corded hammer drill from Bunnings and I've been using it since whenever my first bulk buy was - just after Xmas IIRC, crushed around 8 sacks so far and it's soldiering along just fine, doesn't even get more than lukewarm with an average 15 mins length of Marga crush. I'd guess those better model Ozitos would be even better. I "mount" mine on a couple of blocks so I just need to stand and work the trigger to get a slowish grind, don't need to physically hold the thing up.

If it burns out in the next year I'll just get another, price almost trivial.

marga4Medium.jpg

Back