Monster Mill Smoked My Cordless Drill :( Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juzz1981

Reaction score
Hi,

Using my MM-2 Mill, my cordless drill had about enough and let the smoke out, since i dont have time yet to build a proper motor/pulley arrangement I was going to buy a low RPM/High Torque electric drill.

Anyone have any suggestions on drill type?

Hi,

Using my MM-2 Mill, my cordless drill had about enough and let the smoke out, since i dont have time yet to build a proper motor/pulley arrangement I was going to buy a low RPM/High Torque electric drill.

I'm pretty sure my elcheapo bunnings drill has a variable speed trigger? only $15-ish to get you out of trouble.

pm Bradsbrew, I was round at his brew day about this time last year and his Marga smoked his cordless so he went out to the ute and brought back something huge, orange and feral that did the job pronto. He should be able to advise as he does a lot of brewing.

I bought an AEG cordless screwdriver that has high torque and low revs. Around the $100.00 from memory.

My 1\2 Bosh (blue not green) corded variable speed impact drill hasn't let me down in all the years I've had my Cranker. Torque to burn if set on impact.

TP

I have a crankenstein 2-roller and I went through three cordless drills (of varying qualities - usually within two brew-days) before switching to a cheap, corded Ozito (I think 700-800W?) from Bunnings for $50 - has not failed me in 2yrs.

Maybe I was not setting the torque correctly on the previous drills but the corded one works a treat...

It also has a hammer drill setting for drilling holes in my garage brick walls so I can put up cool beer tackers

and here's a pic :)

web2b.jpg

I use an electric 2 speed drill, just an old one out of the garage.
It is clamped to my milling bench.
I particularly like the trigger held on feature with that little side button.
It mills fast and good.
Went through 6kgs of import pilsner last night in about 2 mins.
I remember reading about optimum milling speeds on here some time...
Have to say fast is good for me.
Cheers.

Hi,

+1 Had the Ozito (though I got one when they were $30!) and it worked a treat until I killed it building the Chook Shed. Who'd have known they don't like driving coach bolts into hardwood ;)

Replacement was a Chinese Cheapy from Mitre10, Rockwell brand, for about $100. Metal brush housing, solid, and heavy as a small car, but burns through the grain on my 2-roller Monster!

Wouldn't even bother with a cordless unless you've got $$$$$ to spend on one....

Cheers

Most manufacturers seem to make corded drivers for driving in roofing screws and stuff. You will find them on their websites or in the toolshop part of the green shed. Seems to me like the way to go, although I confess I am yet to sink money into them. The torque settings claimed on most of them look like heaps enough.

I do have a corded drill with an impact setting for drilling into masonry, but it has to be run too fast for my liking to not stall. I still use my 10-year old 18V Ozito cordless drill, but I expect it to refuse to answer the question any time soon (probably around the time my new mill arrives).

The local tyre place uses a yellow (DeWalt) cordless drill to move wheel nuts. Were it not for the price, that would be a good enough indication for me. My current 'construction' cordless drill is an Ozito LiIon 14.4V device and I am amazed at how much grunt it has.

You sure you just didn't run out the carbon bushes?

Get two cheap Variable speed Ozitos, have one for backup and keep your reciept for the 3 year replacement warranty. If you low low RPM high torque get the Ozito spade handle mixing drill. All the plasterers, ceiling fixers, tilers, use them now, they last a fair while and are so damn cheap.

Think of the guns you can build by handcranking it!!!! I put aside the drill for some good old fashioned manual labour on my mm-2.

I know you asked for a drill...

I still would go the 'AndrewQld' electric motor setup. Doesn't take long to setup, runs at the correct speed and for a bit over $100 it is excellent value; and get a drill for drilling.

QldKev

I have a crankenstein 2-roller and I went through three cordless drills (of varying qualities - usually within two brew-days) before switching to a cheap, corded Ozito (I think 700-800W?) from Bunnings for $50 - has not failed me in 2yrs.

Maybe I was not setting the torque correctly on the previous drills but the corded one works a treat...

It also has a hammer drill setting for drilling holes in my garage brick walls so I can put up cool beer tackers

and here's a pic :)

web2b.jpg

Have you reported the break-in / vandal attack to the police yet?

fellas, yes you can buy a drill that will RIP through grain. but thats not what you want. ideally you want a high torque drill that can operate at slower speeds so you dont shred the grain. you want to keep some of husk in tact and not just have shredded wheat (or ale or pils ;) ).

in saying that, i use a powerdrill not a cordless. just dont buy on off ebay. i made that mistake. bought a 2nd hand high torque drill off a retailer only to receiv it and the ******* thing only going in on direction (ie cant switch between reverse/forward).

all that being said. if you dont care about shredding the grain, then just buy a cheapy.

Have you reported the break-in / vandal attack to the police yet?

HA! ... yeah, I'm not the neatest brewer around - but everything is, at least, clean/sterile and I know where it all is :)

Here's the drill at my place:

1. Weigh out grain. Generally around 4 to 5 kg.
2. Scoop some grain into hopper of the MillMaster
3. Swing the handle and keep scooping grain into the hopper.
4. 5 minutes of swinging and it's all done, with a perfect crush.

Who needs a drill?

Here's the drill at my place:

1. Weigh out grain. Generally around 4 to 5 kg.
2. Scoop some grain into hopper of the MillMaster
3. Swing the handle and keep scooping grain into the hopper.
4. 5 minutes of swinging and it's all done, with a perfect crush.

Who needs a drill?
all great if you have a millmaster.... OP says it a monstermill

edit:I agree with not needing a drill if you have a millmaster.

all great if you have a millmaster.... OP says it a monstermill

edit:I agree with not needing a drill if you have a millmaster.
I have a monster mill and don't find operating by hand too difficult. A few minutes and 5 kg of grain is cracked. Even 10kg is less than 10 minutes.

Back