Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doh, didn't order my motor because MD advised it was out of stock till later in August. Just checked back on their site and the $129 special price is gone and back to $149 :(

Not $149 any more now $169 :eek:

Has anyone wired an emergency stop switch into their mills?
I've been using a drill until now, and it's nigh impossible to have a milling accident with this setup. However, with a gutsy mill and a high torque motor.. hmm I think it could shred bone.
I know all the safety precautions, but in any home setup things that shouldn't go wrong.. perhaps in a 1/1000 instance can go wrong. Not necessarily with me, but someone else who might be playing with it, but shouldn't be.
ELECTRICAL_CONTROL,_STOP_SWITCH.jpg

I guess the only other way to do it is have an ON momentary switch, so the mill is only activitated while I depress a button. But that doesn't sound like fun.

Has anyone wired an emergency stop switch into their mills?
I've been using a drill until now, and it's nigh impossible to have a milling accident with this setup. However, with a gutsy mill and a high torque motor.. hmm I think it could shred bone.
I know all the safety precautions, but in any home setup things that shouldn't go wrong.. perhaps in a 1/1000 instance can go wrong. Not necessarily with me, but someone else who might be playing with it, but shouldn't be.

I guess the only other way to do it is have an ON momentary switch, so the mill is only activitated while I depress a button. But that doesn't sound like fun.

I was thinking of putting a safety screen of mesh across the throat of the hopper (to prevent fingers getting at the rollers); having the hopper hinged (piano hinge?) on one side so it flips to open; and having the 12V run via a limit switch on the unhinged side of the hopper so that power is cut off to the motor if the hopper is opened.

The motors will begin shipping in the second week of September, thanks to my awesome freight company who managed to LOSE the entire Dayton pallet. Worse still, they forgot to tell me about it until a week later when the vessel is already a week into its voyage.

Hey MD,

Are you still on track for shipping in second week of september (next week)?

cheers,
Kieran

I'm interested, these motors perfect for milling, better than the crappy drill I'm using.
Also could double as a motor for stirring while mashing.

Hi Guys,
Sorry for the delay, I've been flat out building controllers for when the motors arrive, they take roughly an hour each to build. Got something like 140-160 to send out (too scared to count). For a few days the post office is going to hate me. Notice the post time? I'm here building controllers! I'll finish about 1am and at 6am I'll be back doing the same thing!

They *should* arrive this coming Thursday or Friday. The boat docked Saturday (10th), and as luck would have it, my freight company told me my stock is at the back of a big container and they can't access it till Wednesday at the earliest.
I'll start shipping Monday (earliest orders get shipped first. But I hope most, if not all will ship Monday! But know I'll be packaging like crazy over the weekend!

Shane

Really interested to see how the early adopters of these motors get set up.

Just picked up my mill and need to figure out how I'll going to power it.

First things first though ... time to build me a hopper!

Really interested to see how the early adopters of these motors get set up.

Just picked up my mill and need to figure out how I'll going to power it.

First things first though ... time to build me a hopper!

An old PC power supply will do the trick mate.

Thanks CG

I haven't had any experience with PC power supplies but I'll have a google.

Managed to wire up a couple of STC1000's successfully so I'm sure I can manage.

If anyone has pics of their new setup with the MD motor and PC power supply I be keen to check it out.

Mr W

Thanks CG

I haven't had any experience with PC power supplies but I'll have a google.

Managed to wire up a couple of STC1000's successfully so I'm sure I can manage.

If anyone has pics of their new setup with the MD motor and PC power supply I be keen to check it out.

Mr W
PC power supplies are easy, you just need to make sure you short the green connection, as this completes the circuit to turn the thing "on". Depending on the wattage of the supply, it will certainly provide enough power to a motor to turn the mill, but may short out once you load it up with grain (approx 5+ Nm torque is the quoted figure required on an un-geared MM2 mill).

FWIW, I recently shelved my plans for a motorised mill, and bought a $100 Engineers drill from TradeTools.com. It does the job (70 Nm torque!), the price was right, it comes in it's own storage box so takes up less room, plus I have the advantage of an additional corded drill if ever I need one.

I'll let you know next time I'm brewing, and you can come round for a look.

Thanks WB

Got no idea with these power supplies or soldering (which I might need to learn).

Might need to hit you up for some tips if I head down the motorised path.

Mr W

PC power supplies are easy, you just need to make sure you short the green connection, as this completes the circuit to turn the thing "on". Depending on the wattage of the supply, it will certainly provide enough power to a motor to turn the mill, but may short out once you load it up with grain (approx 5+ Nm torque is the quoted figure required on an un-geared MM2 mill).

FWIW, I recently shelved my plans for a motorised mill, and bought a $100 Engineers drill from TradeTools.com. It does the job (70 Nm torque!), the price was right, it comes in it's own storage box so takes up less room, plus I have the advantage of an additional corded drill if ever I need one.

I'll let you know next time I'm brewing, and you can come round for a look.

Latest posts

Back