Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone here have an "off the shelf" solution to couple one of these motors to a MillMaster 2?

Cheers,

Wally

Bloke these lovejoy couplings are readily available from bearing / transmission suppliers. If I recall correctly you can purchase the halves with differing shaft/ bore diameters to suit your motor/ mill combo.
Cheers
Doug

Hi everyone,
thanks for all the good feedback! I really love the install videos!

But,you can blame the fishing guys and the bread makers for the lack of stock!

It just took one person from each of those groups to find the special, hook them up and suddenly I'm overwhelmed with fishing guys wanting to crunch up old fish and bread guys who found it was fantastic for crushing their wheat.

Once those two groups got involved the stock depleted really really quickly, much faster than I anticipated. I've now got roughly 90 back orders.

The earliest I can get the next batch of motors is Mid to Late August.

Sorry to those that have ordered, but I can't get them any faster. If you want a refund to find something else just let me know! Otherwise join the que :)

Hi everyone,
thanks for all the good feedback! I really love the install videos!

But,you can blame the fishing guys and the bread makers for the lack of stock!

It just took one person from each of those groups to find the special, hook them up and suddenly I'm overwhelmed with fishing guys wanting to crunch up old fish and bread guys who found it was fantastic for crushing their wheat.

Once those two groups got involved the stock depleted really really quickly, much faster than I anticipated. I've now got roughly 90 back orders.

The earliest I can get the next batch of motors is Mid to Late August.

Sorry to those that have ordered, but I can't get them any faster. If you want a refund to find something else just let me know! Otherwise join the que :)

Good on you for bringing to light a product that is useful across the board and congrats on its success. I have been following this thread since it commenced and ordered the combo pack today. My young bloke has supplied me with a power unit and I don't mind waiting until August. Should have got in earlier.

Cheers, Hoges.

Don't mind the wait. It'll give me an opportunity to join the "Back in my day, we cranked mills by hand" crowd.

Guys,

Call me a little bit slow but I still cannot ascertain what part is used on a drill to connect and drive the MM2 mill.

Can someone pleae enlighten me what it is and where I can obtain this part.

Cheers

Call me a little bit slow but I still cannot ascertain what part is used
Actually, in general, I'm particularly 'slow'. I'm not an engineer, and while I've done some reading I still have a few questions to ask, if someone can bare with me.
I'm a novice at motors/couplings/clutches/gears. I understand why it is useful to have motor power, and I've ordered a motor to do it. My drill isn't neighbor friendly at 5am on a Sunday morning, and from MotionDynamic's video, his motor sounds particularly quiet. So how do I take that, to a working mill motor setup using the Worm Drive motor from MotionDynamics?

Couplings
Can I use a coupling to "Step up" or "step down" the size of a shaft? See pic.. Can Shaft1 be different from Shaft2? Does it require a coupling with different sized holes on either end, or can a coupling accept a "range" of sizes of shaft? Doogiechap mentioned Jaw Couplings, and from what I can tell, a small "soft-ish" insert is nested between the two haves of a coupling.. and this compresses to absorb any clunks or shakes from being transmitted between the motor and mill. Is that it's only function? RobW mentioned back in May2010 that Naismiths in Heidelberg Rd, Fairfield (Vic) sell LoveJoy couplings and they can "It cost around $40 and they will mix and match to fit different shaft sizes." So I gather input and output can be different, but wouldn't you want to have the diameters close so one Revolution of the motor equals one revolution of the mill, is that correct?

Direct vs Indirect drive
If it's hard to get the motor in a direct line with the mill shaft, would you use some sort of belt or chain or something to hook up the two? (see pic) Something tells me that you'd need a second coupling (one for the motor, one for the mill) so you can have a shaft with teeth or grooves on either end with the same diameter, to connect them so one turn by the motor-connected shaft translates to one turn of the mill-connected shaft. I guess one turn of the motor shaft never is the same as one turn of the mill though?

Power
Do we need a 180W, 16.5 Amp AC/DC power source for this? e.g. the expensive 13.8 Volt 18A Switchmode Power Supply (240 Watt) from Jaycar. Or a cheap 12V 15A 180W Ebay one which looks OK, and is much cheaper (would this suffice, even if it only hits 15A)? I have a spare PC power supply at home, but I don't know it's output current, and I'm not sure how to "turn it on" without having a motherboard attached.

Anyway, that is probably too many questions already, so I will leave it at that. If even a few of them could be answered that would be sweet.
Thanks for any help,
Kieran

motors.jpg

Actually, in general, I'm particularly 'slow'. I'm not an engineer, and while I've done some reading I still have a few questions to ask, if someone can bare with me.
I'm a novice at motors/couplings/clutches/gears. I understand why it is useful to have motor power, and I've ordered a motor to do it. My drill isn't neighbor friendly at 5am on a Sunday morning, and from MotionDynamic's video, his motor sounds particularly quiet. So how do I take that, to a working mill motor setup using the Worm Drive motor from MotionDynamics?

Couplings
Can I use a coupling to "Step up" or "step down" the size of a shaft? See pic.. Can Shaft1 be different from Shaft2? Does it require a coupling with different sized holes on either end, or can a coupling accept a "range" of sizes of shaft? Doogiechap mentioned Jaw Couplings, and from what I can tell, a small "soft-ish" insert is nested between the two haves of a coupling.. and this compresses to absorb any clunks or shakes from being transmitted between the motor and mill. Is that it's only function? RobW mentioned back in May2010 that Naismiths in Heidelberg Rd, Fairfield (Vic) sell LoveJoy couplings and they can "It cost around $40 and they will mix and match to fit different shaft sizes." So I gather input and output can be different, but wouldn't you want to have the diameters close so one Revolution of the motor equals one revolution of the mill, is that correct?

Direct vs Indirect drive
If it's hard to get the motor in a direct line with the mill shaft, would you use some sort of belt or chain or something to hook up the two? (see pic) Something tells me that you'd need a second coupling (one for the motor, one for the mill) so you can have a shaft with teeth or grooves on either end with the same diameter, to connect them so one turn by the motor-connected shaft translates to one turn of the mill-connected shaft. I guess one turn of the motor shaft never is the same as one turn of the mill though?

Power
Do we need a 180W, 16.5 Amp AC/DC power source for this? e.g. the expensive 13.8 Volt 18A Switchmode Power Supply (240 Watt) from Jaycar. Or a cheap 12V 15A 180W Ebay one which looks OK, and is much cheaper (would this suffice, even if it only hits 15A)? I have a spare PC power supply at home, but I don't know it's output current, and I'm not sure how to "turn it on" without having a motherboard attached.

Anyway, that is probably too many questions already, so I will leave it at that. If even a few of them could be answered that would be sweet.
Thanks for any help,
Kieran

Kieran

I fluffed around with Hand Cranks, Battery Drills and power drills and now I have one of these motor/gearbox combos - trust me when I say its great to be able to switch the mill on and come back in 5 or so minutes when its all done - at the same speed - without breaking wrists - just a breeze.

Purely my opinion - but no you dont need a power supply - I have an old 12V battery with one charge that has lasted 6 mills without issue - plus plenty of test runs. I reckon it will last another 6 mills without any noticable speed difference.

The gearbox runs really quite slowly - circa 180 RPM - so again in my opinion there is no need for laser aligning the coupling with the gearbox. I used a 24mm long shank socket and a piece of threaded rod and a split pin which cost the sum total of < $20.00 all up. Even if there was some mis alignment you would need to run the mill for days to even start flogging anything out.

I mentioned in my first post that I dont see a need for a variable speed option either - still stand by that - the 100% speed of this gearbox motor combo is nigh on perfect. I dont know what part MD has on back order as I know he hand makes the speed controller but the motor/g'box on its own would be perfect.

Cheers

RM

motiondynamics

I have set mine up and i am currently powering it on a 20A Computer PSU (Also tried it on 40A on an additional 12v line.)

Setup is fairly simple:

Motor > Lovejoy coupling > MM2.

Now doing the good old finger test and counting i get an average of 144 RPM on max speed with the speed controller. (Speed controller can reduce it to pretty much 1 RPM.)
It works perfectly, however i was under the impression it would be around 180 RPM? can you please confirm?

(Its a brilliant product by the way! Just wondering if i can pull out a few more rpm - as ideally i would use it at 160-170)

Regards,
Chris

Have seen this asked before in this thread and haven't seen an answer, what diameter spindle is req'd for the motor? Is it 1/2"?

Also is it round, D shaped, keyway, tri-faced?

Cheers

Doh, didn't order my motor because MD advised it was out of stock till later in August. Just checked back on their site and the $129 special price is gone and back to $149 :(

Doh, didn't order my motor because MD advised it was out of stock till later in August. Just checked back on their site and the $129 special price is gone and back to $149 :(

That's because I didn't get anywhere near the discount I got with the last order which I bought extra on the back of a BIG order.
I'll keep the Homebrewer special active though at the same price.

The motors will begin shipping in the second week of September, thanks to my awesome freight company who managed to LOSE the entire Dayton pallet. Worse still, they forgot to tell me about it until a week later when the vessel is already a week into its voyage.

Whats wrong with the jaycar ones? $20 from a local shop and everyone I know who have used them have never had a problem.

QldKev

Have to drill 'em out & they $5 more...lol. Yes I am feeling lazy and tight atm...will drop in to jaycar on thursday and check em out though

Back