Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I near died when I read grants attempt trying to run it off a 6 amp battery charger... Of course its going to stall and jam :)
It's like trying to race a v8 on only 2 working cylinders.

You'll find than if your psu cant supply the current then the voltage will also drop, meaning you are running the motor with almost no power, so you can't expect great things if you don't feed the motor ;)

The motor can draw up to 16 amps when its working at its rated load and even more when its working even harder and its got a lot of grunt. I've run it at 20 volts (as high as my PSU goes) for 12 hour periods under load which gives about a 250rpm speed with no ill effects, though long term testing hasn't been done on this voltage.

Most of the orders have already been shipped out, I do try to keep on top of the post because leaving it to pile up becomes a nightmare to manage.

Looking forward to seeing some proper pictures/videos of the units setup and running!

Thanks for the advice Doogie, Roller and Motiondynamics, I'll get a more appropriate PSU. You mentioned a PC power supply in an earlier post Motiondynamics, do they have the appropriate amperage.

cheers

Grant

Thanks for the advice Doogie, Roller and Motiondynamics, I'll get a more appropriate PSU. You mentioned a PC power supply in an earlier post Motiondynamics, do they have the appropriate amperage.

cheers

Grant

For a quick test just use a car battery. The 600cca should be plenty.

That power supply earlier was 29a, that would rock!

QldKev

Just hooked it up to the car battery and voila, cracked grain with absolutely no sign of hesitation. Most impressive. :)

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Grant

Hey Grant,

Glad that you got it up and running, and are happy (happy being the most important thing!)

Hook it up to the speed control, which will give you even more control over how your grain is crushed, and you can crush as fast or as slow as you like (without the need to change pulleys or gearings or anything intensive like that)!

The whole reason I included the speed module was so that you had precise control over how the grain was crushed. I understood from past posts that some grain likes to be milled sloooowly and some quickly for optimum results!

A 350W-400W power supply will be ideal!

Shane

I joined the club as well. I don't know how I will couple it yet though.

So what is the easiest way to get one of these motors connected to mains power and the monster mill 2?

So what is the easiest way to get one of these motors connected to mains power and the monster mill 2?

I ordered the one that the seller suggested. I was initially looking for an appropriate transformer to tuck away in the housing, but I figure this will work. I did have a spare PSU, but it got fried a while ago.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-DC-29A-350W...=item43a6d9d5a0

Something like this would do the trick, or maybe an old 300-350w power supply from a computer could be adapted. I'm sure people have that kind of stuff just laying about ;)

Brought one of these - very impressed with the service I got from the MD chap.

To be perfectly honest I think that the variable speed aspect of these is a bit of overkill - just hooked up to 12V the roller speed is perfect - about 150 - 180 RPM I would reckon.

A couple of pictures of the setup - ran some grain through - by crikey the gearbox has some torque - no problems starting with wheat in the hopper.

IMG_0326.jpg
IMG_0328.jpg

One more picture
The shaft of my roller has a nut which connects to a 24mm Socket - I used a split pin as a shear pin in case of rocks

RM

PS - I will tidy up the wiring - this was all a test!.

IMG_0327.jpg

Hi guys,

Thought you might be interested in cheap high current power supplies. Old computer servers are a ready source. These are NOT ATX power supplies from "tower" PC's they are rugged industrial supplies eg a mate offered me one out of a "blade server chassis" which will supply 142A @ 12v! Sure it's more than needed for this application, but........

This thread on a remote control forum has a lot of info on converting different ones: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

WARNING If you don't know what you're doing - leave it the hell alone. Simple. Most of the conversions are pretty easy (that's said with all the usual warnings, precautions etc etc) - these are switch mode power supplies can store a lot of juice - they can harm/kill even when not connected!!!!!! :eek:

I've scored a few compaq EPS113 which are about 50mm square & 250mm long. they output 32A @12v :icon_chickcheers: these were used in several servers & raid arrays Conversion info here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358340.

If you can't source em from work / through a mate @ the right price ;) ebay often has em eg http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HP-Proliant-DL3...y-/380335555350 is for the same unit I have - $20 + 11 postage. http://computers.shop.ebay.com.au/Power-Su...s-/56090/i.html is the place to find em.

Good luck

I think this propulsion method could be good for some brewers..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have finished powering my mill master with the motion dynamics worm drive motor and speed regulator kit. I ended up getting one of the 350w, 29 amp 12 volt power supplies from ebay for $46. It arrived yesterday - wired it all up in a $5 plastic container and away we go.

I have taken a really crappy iphone video and whacked it up on youtube if anyone is interested in seeing the set up in action. The link is The motor has heaps of torque and has no problem driving the mill. The big problem so far has been finding a pin strong enough to withstand the shear forces on the spindle. Am currently using a high tensile bolt which seems to be up to it.

I'm pretty happy with the result, the alternatives for motorising the millmaster with pulleys and belts really put me off, while this solution is neat and compact and apart from the electronics doesn't require and guarding.

I've always been very happy with my mill master, but not having to crank anymore will be lovely, so thanks everyone for their help!

cheers

grant

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work Grant, how did the mash go with that crush? it looked like a fine crush in the crappy Iphone vid.

Thanks Razz,

the crush in the crappy video was just a test of the mill with a few random scoops from the silo - its destined for the compost. There was quite a bit of torriefied wheat in there, some wheat malt and some caraaroma, I really just wanted to see how the mill worked.

I have made a few batches already powering the mill off the car battery and there hasn't been any noticeable difference to the mash and extraction.

cheers

grant

That is impressive. To start a Millmaster Mill with malt in the hopper is no easy feat.

I have mine setup with a 3/4 hp motor & belt drive, If I was to start over I would go with one of these geared motors after seeing that.

Well, just ordered one of these motors to go with my freshly ordered MillMaster MiniMill. Only unknown is how to couple the two together.
I'm sure it'll make sense when I have them in front of me.

Back