Milking The Cow Beer Festival In Toowoomba

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately had life get in the way of a good time. <_< Hopefully next year I can make it as this looks like a cracker of an event.

Chap Chap

Me too, but at least I'm brewing. Had a mate round from work for the majority of the brewday. Coming to the end of the 90 min boil on a Lager. 8.5kg BB Pale, POR for bittering and Hersbrucker at 15. Smells great!

Will be making the effort to get along next year!

Cheers

Back home after a brilliant weekend, had some fabulous beers & met up with great friends old & new...

I judged the IPA competition with the brewer from the Lord Nelson this morning & can confirm the winner was Graeme Starke - The beer was an absolute standout from the field. An excellent & worthy winner :beer:

Just had a call from my team who are still up there drinking & flying the Bacchus Flag, that we have taken out the peoples choice Champion Beer with our Cunning Ninja's Imperial IPA, so feeling pretty pleased considering some of the awesome beers it was up against

Cheers Ross

Back home after a brilliant weekend, had some fabulous beers & met up with great friends old & new...

I judged the IPA competition with the brewer from the Lord Nelson this morning & can confirm the winner was Graeme Starke - The beer was an absolute standout from the field. An excellent & worthy winner :beer:

Just had a call from my team who are still up there drinking & flying the Bacchus Flag, that we have taken out the peoples choice Champion Beer with our Cunning Ninja's Imperial IPA, so feeling pretty pleased considering some of the awesome beers it was up against

Cheers Ross
Well Done to Graeme that's awesome......

The Ninja snuck up on me a couple of times during the weekend....F%$^in great beer :icon_cheers:
This beer really lives up to the hype...Congrats to Brother Kenrick "The Minister" AKA "Head Cow" :beerbang:

Fun weekend.......must do again soon.

PB

Photos or it didn't happen :ph34r:

Well done to Ross and the Team on the win!

Had a great weekend at the Cow. Kudos to Phil for putting it on. Many great beers and the Ninja was a very deserving winner. Also met a whole bunch of brewers I had never met before so good times all around.

Stoked with my win. Bloody awesome prize. Cheers Ross for the kudos on my beer.

Cheers
Starkesbier

Well done Graeme. sounds like it was a good weekend.

Cheers

P.U.B.S. roolz :beerbang: Well done Graeme.

However BABBs did get a look in - I have it on good authority that our RdeVjun was runner up with a Rye-P-A ...

Congratulations Ralph, and your pillowcase :):p

Yet again, shows there's nothing wrong with Maxi-BIAB

Just to add to the Beer comp results....

The competition was judged like a Best of Show round. The beers were lined up in a long line & we went through each one eliminating & short listing our preferences before making a final decision.
We ended up with approx 8 beers in the final taste off, but 2 stood out from the rest & the winner being the real stand out. So the 2nd place beer deserves a special mention as well & this was made by Ralph DeVoil, well done mate, it was a very good beer.

So apologies to anyone that was hoping for judging notes & feedback, but this wasn't the intention of the comp & there really wasn't the time amongst the packed programme to do so.

Cheers Ross

Just to add to the Beer comp results....

The competition was judged like a Best of Show round. The beers were lined up in a long line & we went through each one eliminating & short listing our preferences before making a final decision.
We ended up with approx 8 beers in the final taste off, but 2 stood out from the rest & the winner being the real stand out. So the 2nd place beer deserves a special mention as well & this was made by Ralph DeVoil, well done mate, it was a very good beer.

So apologies to anyone that was hoping for judging notes & feedback, but this wasn't the intention of the comp & there really wasn't the time amongst the packed programme to do so.

Cheers Ross

Congrats to Graham and RDV, well done.

Was anyone else surprised to receive a text advisong that your entry had been received at The Cow??? Nice - professional use of the technology - good on Phil and the team.

Screwy

Thanks Screwy, Bribie, Ross et al, I'm really pleased with the runner- up placing and prizes. Of course, congratulations Graeme and we are all quite envious of that first prize, I'm also looking forward to tasting your Bacchus- brewed beer on tap at the Cow!
I'm hoping next year is a bigger and better festival, however by all accounts this one was pretty mind- blowing, so all the team and everyone involved can take a bow.

Oh Bribie, sorry my blue- not TP's RyePA but it was based on his Gunga Din Mini Rye PA with just a touch of Rye Caramel instead of the big whack of Rye Malt, the other base malts increased proportionally, fermented on 1026PC instead of 1968. Many thanks TP for the original recipe!

I am suffering from hop overload, dunno how you guys did the whole three days :unsure: .
Pretty good value all round, good friendly staff and even the motel was good :icon_cheers:
Well done team Baccus, Graeme and Ralph.
I pity PB's missus having a drunken snoring & farting brewer to keep her company all the way home :p

Stopped for a Big Daddy's pie on the way home...... :icon_cheers:

Did a pretty good job of staying awake...until we got to about Ipswich.....then I joined the kids and passed out.

Woke up in 20mins with a sore neck....

Missus left me going like a nodding dog...

Hops are awesome Winkle. :icon_drool2:

I had a couple of 7% Pumpkin Beers after dinner last night as I started feeling thirsty again...spices to give me a break from all the Hops...then I saddled up again for my latest AIPA.

Slept well last night... I'll be planning a couple of brewery tours/bar/brewers visits in the near future :beerbang:

PB

Stopped for a Big Daddy's pie on the way home...... :icon_cheers:

Did a pretty good job of staying awake...until we got to about Ipswich.....then I joined the kids and passed out.

Woke up in 20mins with a sore neck....

Missus left me going like a nodding dog...

Hops are awesome Winkle. :icon_drool2:

I had a couple of 7% Pumpkin Beers after dinner last night as I started feeling thirsty again...spices to give me a break from all the Hops...then I saddled up again for my latest AIPA.

Slept well last night... I'll be planning a couple of brewery tours/bar/brewers visits in the near future :beerbang:

PB

You are the energiser bunny :icon_cheers:
Finished up with a couple more Icons after a long day
It was a long stagger back to the ambassadore last night about 9pm (about twice as many steps as going to the pub).

Cheers to Phil from the Spotted Cow and to Ross and Bill from Bacchus Brewing for the fun brew day last Friday. Here are a few photos from the day. Had a great time putting on a fifty litre batch to go on tap at the Cow. Tallie from this forum was brewing his pumpkin beer to go on tap at the archive next to me (and yes he did get a stuck sparge :rolleyes: ) so it was great sharing the experience with someone else. Anyway just wanted to thank all those involved.

Cheers
Starkesbier

IMG_0263_sml.JPG

photo3_sml.JPG

IMG_0264_sml.JPG

IMG_0274_sml.JPG

Well done Graeme, did Ross get the whip out? :p Will be interesting to see how your brew goes on tap at the Cow. When does it go on tap? And yeah watch at for that Tallie fella, he always looks down on me. B)

Cheers Brad

A little birdie may have told me that this year's MTC comp style is RIS. ;) (But fark me- RIS FFS??... :angry: )

Anyway, its less than four months away, so better get cracking! :icon_cheers:

A little birdie may have told me that this year's MTC comp style is RIS. ;) (But fark me- RIS FFS??... :angry: )

Anyway, its less than four months away, so better get cracking! :icon_cheers:

Sweeeet, I've got one of them planned :icon_cheers:

Stop the bus! Its Porter! Sanity has prevailed and any of the three BJCP types will be accepted. B)

The Cow are just finalising the prize details before announcing it officially, probably later this week or the weekend. Any questions: [email protected]

Stop the bus! Its Porter! Sanity has prevailed and any of the three BJCP types will be accepted. B)

The Cow are just finalising the prize details before announcing it officially, probably later this week or the weekend. Any questions: [email protected]

Phil rang me today for some guidance... I thought porter made a lot more sense :)

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back