Milking The Cow Beer Festival In Toowoomba

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Ross, pretty sure I am not just speaking on my own behalf when I say this, but there are some quite relieved and much happier brewers out there! :icon_cheers:
Too bad winkle, you'll just have to drink that RIS yourself or perhaps inflict it on unsuspecting visitors! :party:

No, wrong, bad! I have a RIS and it is being kegged tonight! Bastards!!!

Oh Nick, come on mate, its just leveling the playing field! :p Case swap perhaps, if you get really desperate there's always club comps?!! :D

looks like i will be brewing a porter this weekend be off topic but did anyone enter anything in the toowoomba show home brew catagory :D

Not me BenKen25, too busy to even think about it, the local shop sometimes has a few though. I'll have to keep an eye out for results, fingers crossed! :icon_cheers:

Not me BenKen25, too busy to even think about it, the local shop sometimes has a few though. I'll have to keep an eye out for results, fingers crossed! :icon_cheers:

yeah i put a couple in first time i have put a brew in a comp or anything so fingers crossed

yeah i put a couple in first time i have put a brew in a comp or anything so fingers crossed
Cool, go for it, got to be a worthwhile experience and you should get some useful feedback, could even nab a few gongs! :super:
Hope your Porter works out, I've got a hunch on that particular weekend at a beer festival a Robust or Baltic in themselves may be worth just a little more, but nail a Brown brilliantly and quality could be enough. It is a 'best of show' affair, so no formal scoring as such but line them all up one against the other and within one tasting round there's a handful which qualify for a second go, pick the winner and runner up from those.

Cool, go for it, got to be a worthwhile experience and you should get some useful feedback, could even nab a few gongs! :super:
Hope your Porter works out, I've got a hunch on that particular weekend at a beer festival a Robust or Baltic in themselves may be worth just a little more, but nail a Brown brilliantly and quality could be enough. It is a 'best of show' affair, so no formal scoring as such but line them all up one against the other and within one tasting round there's a handful which qualify for a second go, pick the winner and runner up from those.

Ahh, so it's not strictly judged to style is that correct? Could be Robust Porters at 10 paces Nick.

Haha thanks for the heads up i have all the grains i need for a porter might have to get some hops but Hmm. really loooking forward to this

:lol:

Stop the bus! Its Porter! Sanity has prevailed and any of the three BJCP types will be accepted. B)

The Cow are just finalising the prize details before announcing it officially, probably later this week or the weekend. Any questions: [email protected]

Thanks for following that up RdeV, and for the guidance Ross. By happy coincidence, my next brewday just so happens to include a porter :D

Cheers,
tallie

You'd really have to ask the comp organisers winkle! Just a hunch, remember it could be that I'm just speaking out my arse!
FWIW, last year was EIPA, which does narrow the possibilities somewhat, however this year seems to be a bit less proscriptive (I'm thanking his noodliness its not actually RIS after all) and I feel there's perhaps opportunity there for a bit of bias towards, shall we say, one particular end of the spectrum. It will of course depend on the judges and the directions they're given, the whole of BJCP class 12 will have to factor in there somewhere.

tallie, I've been brewing a whole series of lagers, one more to go and I should be back into ales again, we can guess what the first will be! :) However I may well be moving house in amongst all this... :angry:

Looking forward to the weekend, up to luck though whether or not I'll be working. RIS is just about finished fermenting, chalk that one up to experience. Thanks to ralph, I've been stepping up my fist slant he gave me, a 1026 Cask ale. Perfect for porters...

Talking to Phil last week, maybe the bands this year are not going to be so hardcore on the Friday night! With the bottle shop shut he is able to focus more time on the events now and looks like this one will be a cracker. Hope to catch some of you there!

Never brewed a porter before..
Will see what time I get..
Maybe I might give it a go..

Found out i got a 1st and a 3rd in the specialty class for my pale ales my stouts did no good but im bloody happy with the results :super:

:beer:

Found out i got a 1st and a 3rd in the specialty class for my pale ales my stouts did no good but im bloody happy with the results :super:

:beer:

Congratulations. How detailed were the feedback sheets?

Phil rang me today for some guidance... I thought porter made a lot more sense :)

cheers Ross

Oh **** it, & I would have won it as well with my RIS, maybe next time...

Cheers

Paul

Hooray, an announcement!
Home Brew Competition - this year we are looking for a Porter as per Section 12 of the BJCP guidelines (see link below) The winning beer will be launched at Octoberfest to much fanfare
This might be the link.

Back