Babbs Competition Update

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filtered, kegged and carbed on of the Archive IPAs over the weekend... throwing a massive hop haze, but tasting great. Mrs Argon even gave it her seal of approval, "it doesn't taste like VB." with a thumbs up.

Got my CPBF all setup and ready to bottle a couple tonight for delivery tomorrow.

Yes, don't forget guys, cutoff is tomorrow (Tuesday) for the Archive IPA comp.

Cheers Ross

Ross, where when and by whom is the judging?
Just interested in who will be evaluating the beers (which I posted express on Friday). One of the beers I went more for a style that I had tasted in NZ and really liked as opposed to slavishly following the BJCP so may appeal to the beer punter at the bar rather than a hop monster.

Ross, where when and by whom is the judging?
Just interested in who will be evaluating the beers (which I posted express on Friday). One of the beers I went more for a style that I had tasted in NZ and really liked as opposed to slavishly following the BJCP so may appeal to the beer punter at the bar rather than a hop monster.

No idea mate, as it's down to the owners of Archive. Purely on drinkabillity, so i reckon you could have a good chance with a less hoppy beer, especially as they'll be selecting 4 different beers for the taste off.

Cheers Ross

Edit: Bribie, your 2 entries turned up this morning.

Ross or other officials, I'm dropping my BABB entries off to Craftbrewer tomorrow morning. 2 of the bottles are in 750ml Coopers Glass - is it acceptable just to paste my label over the Coopers label (whilst stewarding at the State last year I noticed that many entries from around the place were like that) - the only mention in the rules is that there should be no identifying marks on the cap or inside of the club label but doesn't say anything about a commercial label still being on the bottle. After all, only the stewards get to see the bottle on the day.

Ross or other officials, I'm dropping my BABB entries off to Craftbrewer tomorrow morning. 2 of the bottles are in 750ml Coopers Glass - is it acceptable just to paste my label over the Coopers label (whilst stewarding at the State last year I noticed that many entries from around the place were like that) - the only mention in the rules is that there should be no identifying marks on the cap or inside of the club label but doesn't say anything about a commercial label still being on the bottle. After all, only the stewards get to see the bottle on the day.

You could always sit the bottles in a bucket of cold water with a bit of napisan for a few hours. I find that Coopers labels come off very easily this way - they usually fall off by themselves overnight.

Cheers,
tallie

You could always sit the bottles in a bucket of cold water with a bit of napisan for a few hours. I find that Coopers labels come off very easily this way - they usually fall off by themselves overnight.

Cheers,
tallie

Or as i've done when in a rush... get the bottle under the tap and hit the label with a scourer and it will come of with a bit of scrubbing an only take about 30seconds

Bucket method seems to be working. I was just a bit concerned that after sitting it since April getting a nice firm sediment (UK Ale) I didn't want to be giving it the rough treatment. Not that the stewards would do anything like that of course :rolleyes:

On the subject of BABBs annual comp entries, if anyone is going from Bris CBD or Holland Park to CB at Capalaba between Wednesday AM and Friday PM then I have a handful of entries to submit but I'm stuck in the city without any wheels plus public transport is just not able to manage it in the time I have available. I'd be very grateful! :icon_cheers:

Ralph, sorry mate, I went out there on Tuesday would have take them if I had of known. Hope you get them over there somehow.

Same here, sorry, Tuesday was the day.

If no one puts their hand up maybe consider sticking them into a 5kg express satchel ($19.80 or thereabouts) tomorrow, should be there on Friday. If you have 6 PETs 5kg should be fine, if you bottled in glass then that might not work, unless you limit your numbers.
Or check out fastway, bullet couriers, ANC or similar. In fact ANC should be able to do it for (possibly well) under $20 if you choose 'same day economy', but not sure if you need an account with them.

Anyway, good luck with it.

I was at CB today picking up an order and lodging my BABBs entries, then ran the Archive entries down there expressly as I was meeting RdeVjun for a beer there. All delivered in good cool condition and whipped into their coolroom. May the best prevail.
22 entries all up so good entry.

Ross explained that an individual brewer is only allowed one spot in the top four - for example Pocket Beers or Bribie G can't hog two taps, so if such a conflict were to arise, the top scoring beer from that brewer would only succeed an the other would drop out.

:icon_chickcheers:

On the subject of BABBs annual comp entries, if anyone is going from Bris CBD or Holland Park to CB at Capalaba between Wednesday AM and Friday PM then I have a handful of entries to submit but I'm stuck in the city without any wheels plus public transport is just not able to manage it in the time I have available. I'd be very grateful! :icon_cheers:
I've gotta drop mine on Saturday....so I'm sure I'll be driving by Holland Park on the way.

If it has to be before Friday PM, we can work something out I'm sure.

@ BribieG....Dreamin. I think we'll be out-hopped mate. :rolleyes:

PB

Game plan mate, although the specs are "Hoppy" the actual judging is based on what the Archive think they can sell, so they are certainly not going to turn their noses up at the 120IBU beers but will also be thinking about what their punters at the bar might buy. And hoppy can be aroma and flavour, not just:

gurning.jpeg

Ralph

Im going to put mine in on Saturday and work over Holland Park so can pickup during the week from you. PM me if you have nothing sorted.

Is Friday the last day for entries for the annual comp? Time has really gotten away on me. (At work right now)

Thanks for the offers chaps, very much appreciated. We've got it covered! :icon_cheers:

When's presentation Night? The way it's falling this year it looks as if the presentation could end up only a couple of days after the Thursday July meeting maybe? I'd guess the 2 nights can't be combined as the July meeting is the stout mini comp.

Will be furiously carbonating a keg or two tomorrow morning, then dropping off before 1 I hope!

Cheers

Back