Babbs Competition Update

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Brewers,

For those of you that have missed recent meetings, here is a summary & update of our forthcoming competitions.

Milking The Cow Festival English IPA Competition (Open):
First prize is an over night stay & Stone & Wood Cottage plus a brew day with the Stone & Wood crew. Also, youll get to brew your winning recipe at Bacchus Brewing & see it on tap at the Spotted Cow, Toowoomba.
If you havent already brewed for this one youre too late unless you have a bottle of IPA handy.
Beers to be delivered to the Spotted Cow by midday Saturday or dropped off at CraftBrewer this Friday 10th June by latest Midday. - Judged and announced on weekend 11,12th June.

Archive Bar - American IPA (max alc 6.5%) Competition (Babbs members only):
The brewers of the four best beers as judged by Archive Bar will be invited down to Bacchus Brewing to produce a 100L batch each of their winning brew. These beers will go on tap at the Archive Bar (West End, Brisbane) for the month of September, where their customers will vote for their favourite beer.
The winning beer will become the Archive Bars house beer. What a fantastic prize to win with all the associated bragging rights. Please make sure you support this competition & get brewing.
Entries must be delivered to CraftBrewer by 5 pm. Tuesday 12th July & is limited to 2 entries per brewer.

BABBS - Annual Competition (Babbs members only):
Champion Brewer prize is an absolute cracker this year, being a fully paid trip to the West Coast USA to attend the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp. Places at this camp are highly sort after & we are very privileged to have been invited. With only your best 4 beers going towards this award, it really gives everyone a chance.
Entries must be delivered to CraftBrewer (Unit 1, 2 Christine Place, Capalaba) by 1 p.m. Saturday 16th July. Judging is on the following weekend Sunday 24th July. Please advise if you are able to assist with running the comp, whether it be stewarding or judging ALL WELCOME.

Queensland Amateur Brewing Championships (QABC) 2011 (Qld brewers only):
Prizes still being confirmed.
Entries must be delivered to CraftBrewer by 1 pm. Saturday 27th August (We are waiting for confirmation of alternative drop off dates to Brewers Choice Stores). Judging on the weekend 10th, 11th September. Again, please advise if you are able to assist with running the comp, whether it be stewarding or judging ALL WELCOME.

Any questions to [email protected]

+++

If you've ever wondered what's the point of joining a brew club, the above should give good reason.

Cheers & Good Brewing

Ross Kenrick
BABBS - Brew Master.

Milking The Cow Festival – English IPA Competition (Open):
Unfortunately i've missed this one... wouldn't have minded having a EIPA about

I've got 2 AIPAs on the go at the moment and plan to do another one this week. Will certainly submit the best 2 for judging. Archive is a short walk from my work and would love to go pay $6 for a pint of my own beer :blink:
I'm assuming this is not necessarily a BJCP style thing?... more of a "what tastes great" comp. Should be some room for some pretty good AIPAs.

Of course i'll be entering a few in this... first year member so only expecting some feedback... the caliber of prizes will bring out the big guns i'm sure

Will put in a few here too... only put the one in last year and went relatively average... i'd be more than pleased if i can get at least one beer into the Nationals

Anyone else got plans to give the comps a go?

Wow some cool stuff there. Would love to enter some comps for feedback. If only I were just across the border.

But then I'd be a Queenslander :p :p

Need to attend at least 2 meetings so someone from the committee can vouch you are not an arsehole.

Cheers

Paul

Yep, same as you Argon. Will enter the last 3. Have an AIPA in a cube for the Archive comp, and will hopefully (if my fermentation schedule goes to plan) have a few to enter in both BABBs comp and QABC.

Good luck to all!

Cheers

Need to attend at least 2 meetings so someone from the committee can vouch you are not an arsehole.

Cheers

Paul

I wouldn't worry too much the bar was set pretty low when Paul joined.... :eek: :ph34r: :lol:

Chap Chap

I wouldn't worry too much the bar was set pretty low when Paul joined.... :eek: :ph34r: :lol:

Chap Chap

Back then the club was so poor it couldn't afford a bar :(

Cheers

Paul

I've got 2 AIPAs on the go at the moment and plan to do another one this week. Will certainly submit the best 2 for judging. Archive is a short walk from my work and would love to go pay $6 for a pint of my own beer :blink:
I'm assuming this is not necessarily a BJCP style thing?... more of a "what tastes great" comp. Should be some room for some pretty good AIPAs.

Argon..... hoppy was the main criteria given - Also be aware that this will be brewed commercially if it wins, so adding in home grown hops etc is not a good idea.

cheers Ross

Argon..... hoppy was the main criteria given - Also be aware that this will be brewed commercially if it wins, so adding in home grown hops etc is not a good idea.

cheers Ross
Thanks Ross... the one i'm thinking of is 92IBU @ 6.3% so sounds like it fits :)

Brewers,

For those of you that have missed recent meetings, here is a summary & update of our forthcoming competitions.

Milking The Cow Festival English IPA Competition (Open):
First prize is an over night stay & Stone & Wood Cottage plus a brew day with the Stone & Wood crew. Also, you'll get to brew your winning recipe at Bacchus Brewing & see it on tap at the Spotted Cow, Toowoomba.
If you haven't already brewed for this one you're too late unless you have a bottle of IPA handy.
Beers to be delivered to the Spotted Cow by midday Saturday or dropped off at CraftBrewer this Friday 10th June by latest Midday. - Judged and announced on weekend 11,12th June.

The brewers of the four best beers as judged by Archive Bar will be invited down to Bacchus Brewing to produce a 100L batch each of their winning brew. These beers will go on tap at the Archive Bar (West End, Brisbane) for the month of September, where their customers will vote for their favourite beer.
The winning beer will become the Archive Bar's house beer. What a fantastic prize to win with all the associated bragging rights. Please make sure you support this competition & get brewing.
Entries must be delivered to CraftBrewer by 5 pm. Tuesday 12th July & is limited to 2 entries per brewer.

Champion Brewer prize is an absolute cracker this year, being a fully paid trip to the West Coast USA to attend the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp. Places at this camp are highly sort after & we are very privileged to have been invited. With only your best 4 beers going towards this award, it really gives everyone a chance.
Entries must be delivered to CraftBrewer (Unit 1, 2 Christine Place, Capalaba) by 1 p.m. Saturday 16th July. Judging is on the following weekend Sunday 24th July. Please advise if you are able to assist with running the comp, whether it be stewarding or judging ALL WELCOME.

Prizes still being confirmed.
Entries must be delivered to CraftBrewer by 1 pm. Saturday 27th August (We are waiting for confirmation of alternative drop off dates to Brewers Choice Stores). Judging on the weekend 10th, 11th September. Again, please advise if you are able to assist with running the comp, whether it be stewarding or judging ALL WELCOME.

Any questions to [email protected]

+++

If you've ever wondered what's the point of joining a brew club, the above should give good reason.

Cheers & Good Brewing

Ross Kenrick
BABBS - Brew Master.

Any entry fees due with these Ross?
QABC has a fee if I recall.
Daz

cheers Ross
Rubbish....my home grown hops are going in just to make you squirm :)

Ross: there was some discussion about dates for the Archive Bar entries at the meeting. Some considered that for people not actually on the South East side, with the BABBs comp entries also within a couple of days, it's a bit of a stretch to get to Craftbrewer twice in the week, if there are still a couple of beers to be finalised for the BABBs.

I'll be coming down to Bris on Wednesday 13 July to drop off the BABBs comp entries at CraftBrewer, taking stepdaughter to appointment at West End and wonder if I can also drop off the entries for the Archive comp. Tuesday I can't make it.

Cheers

Hi Bribie,

Sorry, cut off is Tuesday, as the entries all need to documented & ready for collection/delivery to Archive on Wednesday.

There's always the post for those that can't hand deliver.

cheers Ross

When is the actual judging date? (i.e. settling and carbonation, if the bottles can sit for a while then I'll bottle condition them and post. On the other hand if the judging day is extremely imminent then I'll fine n keg them and CPBF the entries).
Cheers

When is the actual judging date? (i.e. settling and carbonation, if the bottles can sit for a while then I'll bottle condition them and post. On the other hand if the judging day is extremely imminent then I'll fine n keg them and CPBF the entries).
Cheers

Why not leave your bottles with one of the Northern Suburbs Brewerhood to deliver to CB?
I'm sure they wouldn't treat the entries badly :) .

Back