Mexican Cooking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks mardoo. That is indeed what i was looking for. I do miss these and don't seem to get them at any Mexican restaurants I have been to here.

My local pub makes a nice nacho..heaps of chilli.

Stupid barman reckons that there should be no beans in nacho......

manticle said:
Was ******* delicious - I couldn't get the mesa tortilla dough to hold together properly so that's a trick i need to work on but the flavour of proper cornbread is outstanding.

Anyway one more thing to get obsessed by.
If it's too wet they'll fall apart. Start dry and add water bit by bit until you can start to kneed it. Then keep kneeding it for 10 mins minimum.

Thanks. I'll have another crack sometime soon. Flavour and aroma were tops. I followed a recipe to the letter and tried a couple of times but will follow your advice next time.

When making bread in commercial kitchens, I always reserved some of the liquid from recipes to get the dough the right consistency as absorption does sometimes seem to vary a tad.

If you are after a good cook book my wife sells them. It is from the Yucatan area, called Hacienda Teya. Very traditional recipes with some salsas and good food. We used to sell the tortilla presses but she has been busy with bub number two so was not able to order them this year. She does still have some of the books if anyone is keen, PM me and I will see what price I can get for fellow brewers. Here is the link for her page if you want more info on the book. http://www.mexicanhammocks.com.au/Mexican-Food/Mexican-cooking-kit
We do a far bit of Mexican cooking and use this book from time to time. I also bought two book when we were in Mexico last, COCINA YUCATECA AL CHINGADAZO which is in Spanish but they do have an english version. It is mainly food from Yucatan too. And a similar book but for food from around Mexico. Cocina Mexicana al Chingadazo.Cocina Mexicana al chingadazo. These are probably the other books we use recipies from and very traditional.

Best meal we always like to eat is a couple of nice steaks cooked on the BBQ sliced thin after cooking, Blackbeans made at home Cebolla Cambray (which is Spring Oinion cooked on the BBQ/grill slightly burnt) and home madeg guacamole on home made corn tortillas. YUM YUM. Put some Chipotle sauce on them even better.
Cheers
Chucka

aussiechucka said:
If you are after a good cook book my wife sells them. It is from the Yucatan area, called Hacienda Teya. Very traditional recipes with some salsas and good food. We used to sell the tortilla presses but she has been busy with bub number two so was not able to order them this year. She does still have some of the books if anyone is keen, PM me and I will see what price I can get for fellow brewers. Here is the link for her page if you want more info on the book. http://www.mexicanhammocks.com.au/Mexican-Food/Mexican-cooking-kit
We do a far bit of Mexican cooking and use this book from time to time. I also bought two book when we were in Mexico last, COCINA YUCATECA AL CHINGADAZO which is in Spanish but they do have an english version. It is mainly food from Yucatan too. And a similar book but for food from around Mexico. Cocina Mexicana al Chingadazo.Cocina Mexicana al chingadazo. These are probably the other books we use recipies from and very traditional.

Best meal we always like to eat is a couple of nice steaks cooked on the BBQ sliced thin after cooking, Blackbeans made at home Cebolla Cambray (which is Spring Oinion cooked on the BBQ/grill slightly burnt) and home madeg guacamole on home made corn tortillas. YUM YUM. Put some Chipotle sauce on them even better.
Cheers
Chucka
Thanks Aussiechucka, that looks like a winner to me.

Looks like a good book Chucka. I love the authentic stuff. None of that TexMex for me.

I picked some chilli's from the garden this arvo and have a good supply till next season.

1ea087c2-4be5-49a4-b058-e1d673235da2.jpg

And a hop Hog on hand too :D

When making corn tortillas you need the correct maize flour. We use San carlos I think fireworks sells it. The dough should feel like playdough.

Rick Bayless - Authentic Mexican is one of my all time favourite cook books.

Pacos Tacos in Melb is a neat place to pop in for a couple of tacos and a Beer.

aussiechucka said:
I just got this book and it's a dead-authentic, great little book if you're already keen on Mexican cooking. I'm really looking forward to cooking these recipes as I have little experience with food from this particular region of Mexico. Plus aussiechucka is a truly awesome bloke judging from my experience. Thanks!

Only good taste I had was off a burrito truck in Bern. Yummy street food. Being veg doesn't help too much with Mexican food but I love the flavour. This is something I like making every now and then, been a hit with the crowd as well, housemates polished off anything I left in the pan.

null-3.jpg

null-4.jpg

Apart from the obvious, the chopped chilli ain't that hot, the heat is from the oodles of chilli flakes. The only other spice is salt.
I toss in the tomato and onion right at the end try to not cook it all.

I'd love some suggestions on vege mex options :)

This thread is making my mouth water. I never truly understood Mexican food until I went to the US and ate some authentic Mexican. Until that time, I thought Cactus Jacks (a nasty nasty chain restaurant, microwave style in Queensland) was actual Mexican. I was very wrong.

My kingdom for a tamale.

Was in Sydney a while back and went to this tiny restaurant Chica Bonita in one of the arcades off the Corso in Manly.

I'm no expert on Mexican food, but it was the polar opposite of the microwaved stuff in red sauce I've had elsewhere.

Lots of beans, coriander, pickled cabbage all washed down with Sierra Nevada PA...yum yum yum.

I would guess the place would sit 40 people tops - and was always chockablock.

Kev

practicalfool said:
I'd love some suggestions on vege mex options :)
There are a lot of options for vego food in Mexican cooking. Hell, with a lot of the country living in poverty a lot of Mexicans don't see meat all that often.

I'll scrounge for a few recipe links for you. Are you vegan? Please say no, that makes Mexican much harder.

In the mean time if you're in Melbourne (sorry, on mobile so I can't tell where you are) try Trippy Taco in Fitzroy. They're all vego, last I checked.

Okie, I'm not vegan btw, a friend who turned tried to turn me but I like butter and cheese too much :)
I'm always wanting to come down, will be definitely going there whenever next.

I kinda had the same feeling about both SE Asian food and South American food, it's a rich land with lots of vegetation and poverty, but restaurants are amazingly boganised... Hence why my try at mex is that 2 spice n basics bean fry. I'd be glad if you link me up, looked up tamale mentioned above, would be trying my hand at that.

Yep, I was going to suggest sweetcorn and cheese tamales with a bit of oregano and garlic. You can use frozen corn if you want. Heat a frypan very hot, add a bit of oil and char the corn a bit. Turn the heat down and add the garlic towards the end and then the oregano at turn off. Salt it. Use to fill tamales.

See my earlier links about tamales for masa dough process and how to wrap. You can use banana leaves (any SE Asian grocer will have some) if you have trouble finding corn husks. Really you can make the filling with fresh sweetcorn and then use the husks to wrap the tamales. If you can find it some achiote added to this is nice. Adds an interesting astringency against the corn.

Anyways, I'll find you some good links.

I was vegan for three years. Then this one day I was standing in front of KFC...

Love Mexican food... just ordered "The Art of Mexican Cooking" cookbook recommended on the 1st page, thanks.

Latest posts

Back