Mexican Cooking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love New Mexican Chili. Coming from Albuquerque I get my cousin to import all of the red and green chili I need to cook the good stuff!!
Awesome. It's incredible food. Tex-Mex (most of what you get here) has a place, but it's far from the whole truth.

I miss the chili sauces of New Mexico, Roasting and grinding the dried red chiles, bit of garlic, Mexican oregano, etc, cooked into something resembling napoli but ALL chiles. There's a fresh green chile one too. Oh **** me it's good.

Holy shit....This thread got jimmyjack back onto the board......One of the names I used to see around the traps when I joined up.......Soooooo much advice on cooking stuff that's way up my alley in this thread. Bring on some spare time to brew and cook.

Well I made the salsa recipe, it was nice, but I ended up adding some lemon juice and brown sugar to turn it into a fcking delicious BBQ sauce.

Best way to make BBQ sauce! Great way to go for sure.

I miss the chili sauces of New Mexico, Roasting and grinding the dried red chiles, bit of garlic, Mexican oregano, etc, cooked into something resembling napoli but ALL chiles. There's a fresh green chile one too. Oh **** me it's good.

Awesome. Another local! Where were you living? I was in NNM, Taos, Santa Fe, Galisteo, Madrid and Cerrillos over the course of my 10 years there. I also did a nomad stint camping in the Sangre de Cristos outside Santa Fe.

Liam_snorkel said:
I just got home from the shops with a bag of mulito chillies, a couple of tins of black beans, and a bag of maize flour. Recipe ideas? I'm clueless.
Will have a look at that homesick Texan blog.
Where did you get this stuff mate?

Where did you get this stuff mate?
http://www.pennisicuisine.com.au/ this place is a 5min drive away from where I live, spotted it by chance once when I was dropping the car off at the mechanic, stoked! They have everything. Heaps of cured meats and cheeses too.

mmm Home made Nachos with roasted halapeno salsa tonight.
nom nom nom

Mardoo said:
"... and the best tacos come three for $6 from the back of a food truck. Paying $20 for three OK tacos here sticks in my craw."
[SIZE=10.5pt]I hear this! Miss the Mexican/Tex-Mex/Cal-Mex/WA-Mex food of North America. Being I hadn't found a great tortilla here in Brisbane (some fair, but none great), I was thinking of investing in what is needed to make my own. As far as tacos go, I make my own which would probably be in the averagely decent range of the U.S. taco truck fare.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]For the quick fix, I use the Mission Jumbo hard taco shells, a 500 gram pack of turkey mince, a packet of Mission seasoning, some chopped shallots, iceberg lettuce, a chopped vine-ripened tomato, and a jar of Byron Bay Chili co salsa. If I want it to be better and I have time, I make my own seasoning and salsa.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Taco Seasoning[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Chilli powder to taste (1 tsp for mild, to 1 Tbls for hot). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]• ¼ tsp garlic powder [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]• ¼ tsp onion powder [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]• ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]• ¼ tsp dried oregano [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]• ½ tsp paprika [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]• 1½ tsp ground cumin [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]• 1 tsp sea salt ( or to taste for lower salt mix) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]• 1 tsp ground black pepper [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Combine all ingredients together. You can add some corn starch to expand it some and help it absorb into the meat while cooking.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]And in the Salsa department....[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Pico de Gallo Salsa[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]- one Red Capsicum Bell Pepper [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]- one Yellow Capsicum Bell Pepper [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]- one Green Sweet Chili [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]- one Green Sweet Chili starting to turn red [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]- one Jalapeno [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]- a bunch of Shallot Spring Onions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]- a bunch of Coriander[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]- three cloves of Garlic [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]- three skinned & cored Tomatoes [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]- Salt [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]- Black Pepper [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]- one tiny Lime squeezed for juice. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Tossed it all into a food processor and done.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Roasted Tomato Salsa[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]You need:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- 2 pounds Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- 1 medium white onion, cut into six wedges[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- 1 large garlic clove, halved[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- A couple pinches of finely ground sea salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- 2-3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- 1 medium dried guajillo chile pepper, soaked in boiling water until softened, and then drained[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- 1 or 2 chipotles in adobo sauce (canned)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Heat oven to 200° C.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Now gently tossed the tomatoes, onions, garlic, and salt with the olive oil in a large bowl.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]After they are nicely coated arrange in a single layer, tomatoes cut-side facing up, across a parchment-lined baking sheet.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the tomatoes start to collapse and the onions begin to caramelize a bit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Remove from the oven.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Puree the chiles (both the guajillo and chipotles) with the roasted garlic and two roasted tomato halves.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Chop the remaining tomatoes by hand (once they've cooled a bit).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Chop and add the onions as well.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Season with salt and stir in the cilantro.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Makes about 2 1/2 cups[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Notes:[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] If you can't find a guajillo pepper, no worries - just leave it out of the recipe. The salsa will still taste delicious with just the roasted tomatoes and chipotles. You can also substitute another type of chile if you like. The reddish-brown guajillo are known for their strong, complex and earthy flavor, and medium heat. Feel free to experiment with more readily available chiles from your area until you find one you really like to play off the flavors of the chipotles and roasted tomatoes. Two chipotles can be very spicy, consider yourself warned. Start with one, or even one-half a chipotle if you or your family are heat-sensitive, and work up from there.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] Here is another recipe that turned out fairly good...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Chicken Soft Tacos[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Ingredients:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- Taco Sauce (make your own, but use store-bought if you have to)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- 2 teaspoons Chili-infused Olive Oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- Olive Oil of choice for dressing[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- 500 grams/1 Lb chicken breast cut into strips ( I use the stir-fry strips from the butcher)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- finely-shredded lettuce and/or savoury cabbage[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- Red apple cut into matchstick size strips[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- 1 cup Coriander leaves[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- juice of one Lime[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- Half cup light sour cream[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- 1 pack good-quality tortillas [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Directions:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- Heat Olive Oil in large fry-pan.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- Add chicken strips when oil is hot. Reduce heat to medium/high.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- Cook chicken for 5 minutes or until golden brown.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- Add Taco Sauce to fry-pan and stir, coating all the chicken. Reduce heat and let simmer for about 2 minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- Mix the lettuce, cabbage, and apple.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- Dress with Lime juice and some Olive Oil.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- Mix in some light sour cream and season to taste[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]- Warm tortillas, or use cold. Add chicken and salad mix, roll, and enjoy![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]And these were made for dinner by Kristy, a friend of mine who married a Mexican. They live in far north Mexico ... a.k.a. Yakima Washington (Hops Country)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Mexican Ceviche with Shrimp[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Ingredients: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]1 lb cooked shrimp marinated in the juice of 5 limes. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]1 chopped onion [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]1 diced tomato [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]1 chopped green pepper [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]2 tbls white vinegar [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]2 tblsp finely chopped parsley or cilantro. Jay doesn't like cilantro so I used parsley. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]2 or 3 jalapenos chopped (I also added a little jalapeno juice.) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]1 avacado [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]Salt, pepper, mexican oregano to taste. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]I added everything together except the shrimp and avacado. Drain the lime juice first [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]if you wish[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]. Add shrimp and avocado, mix well. Serve with chips or tostada shells. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Flautas[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] (Kristy) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]I boiled some chicken breasts to cook them. Then I shredded them using two forks. This was new to me and took forever.... [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Mixed the chicken with picante sauce and a bit of cumin. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]I took corn tortillas and dipped them in hot oil on both sides quickly, then used paper towels to absorb some of the oil. (be careful or you could burn a thumb) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]I put some of the chicken mix in the center of the tortilla and added a little shredded Mexican cheese and rolled them up. Placed them seam side down on a pan. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]I used leftover cheese to sprinkle on top of the flautas and baked in a 180°C heated oven for 15 minutes. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=9pt]Be careful taking them out of the oven or you could burn your other thumb.[/SIZE]

Roma tomatoes seem to have much more taste than the ordinary varieties. Supermarket toms just taste of water. ie nothing.

Tropical_Brews said:
Roma tomatoes seem to have much more taste than the ordinary varieties. Supermarket toms just taste of water. ie nothing.
They do. Also known as Italian tomatoes and are ideal for canning and making tomatoe puree.
The best to use in Bolognase sauce.

My other fav tom is the Black Russian

For tge melb peeps

anyone got an idea where to but a tortilla press from? Google is not helpful. http://casaibericadeli.com.au/ in fitzroy doesnt say they have them but im assuming they do.

The kids have now fallen in love with 'soft taco' so looks like I can finally get a press

edit. Just did some ringing around general trader etc. Matchbox has just in a bunch of mexican cookware incl torilla basket makers etc. Apparently its aluminum but I wasnt necessarily after cast iron so it should be fine.

Now to find a few good mexican cookbooks to put on the xmas list.

Fireworks foods have them and they deliver...

fireworksfoods.com.au

Airgead said:
Fireworks foods have them and they deliver...

fireworksfoods.com.au
sorry yeah I checked them out and saw id have to get it shipped. I didnt want to pay the extra $. I also couldnt fibd out how much shipping was. They have some great stuff though. Will be getting corn flour for some corn tortillas. Yum

citymorgue2 said:
Matchbox has just in a bunch of mexican cookware incl torilla basket makers etc.
The tortilla basket makers sound interesting, make for some tasty bean nacho bowls.

Well basic tortilla mix is resting.

1cup plain flour
1 cuo wholemeal flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
4 tablespoons olive oil

slicing up some tenderized rump and making guacomole ready for dinner.

For those Perth peeps in need of Mexican ingredients, if you're NOR try the Spice Wagon in Coventry Markets, Morley. The owner is passionate about Mexican cooking and sells masa flour, tortilla presses, anchos, chipotles, pasilla negros, guajillos, arbols, chipotles en adobo etc etc. They also do postage if you're not in Perth

Latest posts

Back