Slow Cooked Roast Leg Of Lamb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this. Thanks to an idea from Kirem on another food thread I just slow cooked and ate the best roast leg of lamb I have ever eaten.

Cut slits in the leg and spoon in some shredded garlic. Sprinkle over the top cumin powder, smoked paprika powder and some cinnamon powder. Try and get this into the slits too. Roughly chop a big handfull of fresh coriander leaves and rub over the leg. Try and get this into the slits too. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with oil. Give it a good rub, cover with glad wrap and leave in the fridge over night.

In the morning preheat the oven at 200 and put a bit of water in the roasting dish that the leg has been sitting in. Put it in the oven for about half an hour to get some colour and juices bubblling. Take it out and cover tightly with alfoil. Put it back in the oven on about 150 and let it cook. An hour before you want to serve take the foil off and turn heat up to 200. This is when I put my roast vegies in (in another dish though). I started mine at 9.30 this morning and cooked for 7 hours. After the hour at 200 it'll be done. Take out and dish up.

The meat will be falling off the bone and be beautifully tender, juicy, moist with crispy bits on the outside. It didnt need to be carved, it was just falling apart like butter and melt in your mouth. Served with roast potatoes, pumpkin, carrots, broccolli and gravy. Have to say its the best roast I have ever cooked with lots left over for cold fresh bread sandwiches later on. I wont be cooking one again for the usual 2 hrs.

Cheers
Steve

I want........

Actually, what I want is winter back......We own an electric slow cooker and also a huge enamel casserole dish that we use to make stews....But it's just too hot right now to have the oven running for 4+ hours....

Sounds fantastic.

Do you toast your cumin or other spices first?

I love slow cooked meat!!! Yours sounds bloody fantastic!!

I slow cooked 2 shoulders of goat the other week - one in beer, milk and chili the other in red wine and pepper - the meat is luscioius, full of flavour and tender as! It doesnt get much better!

Latest posts

Back