Ribs Ribs Ribs - Pork Ribs!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engibeer

Reaction score
Seeing as I'm just new at home brewing and I can't contribute much to the beer discussion, I thought I would contribute my ribs recipe.

This recipe might me a little long winded but it's really easy and so damn good.

Ingredients:

1kg of Pork back ribs ("USA style")

Marinade:
Juice of two fresh oranges and 1/2 Fresh Fennel Bulb + thumb sized piece of ginger (I even used blood orange one day and it was AMAZING)
1x Can Coca Cola
2x Tablespoons Honey
Pepper (Don't add SALT to marinades it removes moisture from the meat!)
1x Bulb Garlic
Smokey BBQ Sauce (HP Smokey BBQ preferably - it works well)
Dried Shallots (fresh onion, spring onion etc also works fine)
Chilli to taste

Basting:
2x Parts Smokey BBQ Sauce - 1 part Honey, little bit of olive oil to loosen it up, chilli to taste

Mix marinade and Ribs, Marinate for at least two hours.

To marinade, I line a baking tray with foil and pour the marinade and ribs in.

Heat oven to 160 deg C. Season Ribs and place on WIRE RACK over marinade. Empty some of the marinade out of the tray if ribs are immersed in it- you don't want them to poach but you do want a LOT of steam in the tray. Cover tray with foil and bake for 1-1.5hrs until meat is tender.

Remove tray from oven, empty marinade in to pan and put on stove on high heat to reduce marinade to a sauce (a bit less than half of the marinade is enough for a kg of ribs and will reduce in ~20mins)

Increase oven temperature to 180 degrees C and return ribs to oven for 20-30 mins, basting with basting mixture above every 10 minutes - at least three times.

OR PREFERABLY

On a preheated charcoal grill - e.g. Weber cook ribs slightly off the indirect heat for 20 - 30 mins, basting with basting mixture at least three times - cook over direct heat for last five minutes to caramelise sauce. (even more amazing - but an oven works fine)

Rest 5 mins. Pour reduced marinade over ribs. Serve

Wonder how this would go in the camp oven...my guess is very well.

The recipe is very adaptable.

The Mrs never ate pork before she tried this, now she loves it - pulled pork, pork fillet, pork ribs, goulash - you name it!

Very interesting recipes look delicious. I don't own a barbecue so I usually do my ribs in a foil parcel baked in the oven for an hour and half. They turn out very tender but lack a bit in flavour might have to try the marinades and see how they go. I have tried Fountain Hot Chilli sauce but it loses lots in the cooking.

Tropical_Brews said:
Very interesting recipes look delicious. I don't own a barbecue so I usually do my ribs in a foil parcel baked in the oven for an hour and half. They turn out very tender but lack a bit in flavour might have to try the marinades and see how they go. I have tried Fountain Hot Chilli sauce but it loses lots in the cooking.
Build yourself a little smoker, so worth the effort!

Latest posts

Back